Compiling a list of games and their CPU usage

Mira Yurizaki

I'm looking to compile a relatively large list of games and their CPU usage for something I'm having in mind in the future. While I'm aware of some games, I don't think it's a good enough sample size for what I want. So I'm turning to crowd sourcing this data :)

I'm looking at games that meet the following categories:

Games that are light on the CPU: Games like these have lower-end system requirements in mind from the get go.

Games that rely on single core performance: To distinguish this from the "light on CPU" category, the game was designed with higher-end systems in mind at launch, but have since fallen in this category due to their age. Though this can apply to modern games that seem designed with using fewer CPU threads.

Games that use a high number of CPU threads: For the sake of simplicity, I'm setting the minimum requirement that 6 or more CPU threads continues to add a meaningful benefit.

If you have sources that do CPU based benchmarks for said game or screencaps of Task Manager, that would be helpful as well. Also note that the game in its entirety, including DRM shenanigans, counts towards its CPU usage.

EDIT: Just so I don't have anyone testing games, throwing out a few:

• Games that are light on the CPU:
    • Counter Strike: Global Offensive
    • Overwatch (it's a 2016 game that requires/recommends a 2008 processor)
    • Rocket League
  • Games that rely on single core performance
    • Arguably a lot of games fall in this category
    • Call of Duty (any of them, really)
    • Fortnite
    • GTAV
    • PUBG
  • Games that use a high number of CPU threads
    • Battlefield 1
    • Battlefield V
    • Civilization 6
    • Ghost Recon: Wildlands
Edited by Mira Yurizaki
Changed the criteria for high number of CPU threads

10 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

If you have sources

That's a tall order. I've never seen something like this before.

My suggestion is post this on as many forums as you can find, to get as many eyeballs on it as possible...and if need be, start taking data from individual folks (with screen shots if you need veracity)

I can tell that IME, World of Tanks will run on anything (so, very low requirements) and Armoured Warfare loves cores.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I could run games without anything on side/background and screenshot the CPU usage according to Task Manager for you if that'd be of any use...

But like mentioned above I've never seen this before on known benchmarking places...

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Should we cap the frame rate or not? Some games simply scale to hundreds of FPS and use lots of CPU power.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Assassin's Creed Odyssey use 100% of all cores ( in my case i5-9600K ) while running and game rendering world
I check CPU usage in many games that i play so i can post it here if ya want
HykQTX8.jpg

Intel i5-9600K Nvidia GTX 1060 Gaming G1Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X │ Corsair RM550x │ Cryorig Universal H5 │Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) 3000MHZ CL15