Survey : 5.25 drive bay Usage

Survey : 5.25 drive bay usage  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still use / want to use a 5.25" drive bay (not only optical drive, but anything that fits in 5.25 bays)?

• Still use in 2019 and proud of it
    • Maybe want to use, depends on what I can find
    • No, what the hell? is it 1995 again?
  2. 2. If you selected option 1 or 2 above, what would you use a 5.25 drive bay for?

• Slick internal stats monitor (temperature, fan speed, power usage, etc.)
    • Optical drive (DVD / Bluray)
    • Memory card reader
    • Fan / RGB - controller
    • Add USB ports (type A or C) on the front
    • DIY projects / Other
    • voted no : not applicable

I'm not sure if it's because I'm too young but I've never needed a 5.25 drive bay. In my use case, I've never needed to use one, at least yet,

My PC's case, the NZXT S340, doesn't have a 5.25 bay and I've never felt the need to buy an external since I don't use DVDs.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

Depends on the build. For my NAS build I am looking for a case with at least 3 5.25 spots so I can use a hot swap for hard drives

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

5 hours ago, Slayerking92 said:

I had used one of these 4 2.5 bays for a long time when i had more SSD's.  My case only had a few drive bays at the time.

image.png.bf4d46d8c121c3988315a1a3db4e6a11.png

I have two similar ICYDock bays in the computer I've been building off and on.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

I still use the bays.  Mostly for two Blu-ray/CD drives (most use they get is doing rips or backup important documents to discs), extra USB and card readers, and front audio hook ups.  Though, I do plan later to get a fan header, hot swap bays, and maybe setup a bracket to hold an external DAC/AMP.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

I have two optical drives, blu ray reader and DVD writer.

also have a couple of these which I recommend to anyone,

I've still got a DVD writer in my current system, however, I couldn't actually tell you the last time it was used - at least 3 years, probably more.

I barely use optical these days so am happy to use an external drive. However, I use memory cards many times per week so having a reader in the front of my machine is important to me. I found it quite hard to find a decent case with a front orifice in either size. Bit of a pain in the harris that as I ended up compromising on the case just to get the bay.

Sure, I could have an external card reader floating around, but they never seem as robust for long term repeated use and in my house get lost or damaged.  If case manufacturers had the possibility for at least SD and CF built in then I would not be too fussed about a bay.

I have DVD drive which doesn't work (and I'm too lazy to remove) and hot-swap bay. When I get a new case, I will get one with bay.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I removed mine to make room for another radiator. Had to drill out some rivets and cut some steel away, then rebuild the area to add the rigidity back in and seal it up for airflow.

9900K  / Asus Maximus Formula XI / 32Gb G.Skill RGB 4266mHz / 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus & 1TB Samsung 970 Evo / EVGA 3090 FTW3.

2 loops : XSPC EX240 + 2x RX360 (CPU + VRMs) / EK Supremacy Evo & RX480 + RX360 (GPU) / Optimus W/B. 2 x D5 pumps / EK Res

8x NF-A2x25s, 14 NF-F12s and a Corsair IQ 140 case fan / CM HAF Stacker 945 / Corsair AX 860i

LG 38GL950G & Asus ROG Swift PG278Q / Duckyshine 6 YOTR / Logitech G502 / Thrustmaster Warthog & TPR / Blue Yeti / Sennheiser HD599SE / Astro A40s

Valve Index, Knuckles & 2x Lighthouse V2

Yes and no.

On my current build, I have an optical drive that I never use.

But I also have a hotswap in the 5.25" bay. Also a hard drive that I use adapters in there (no visible from the outside).

On my new build that I'm currently building and will likely finish by the end of the month, I don't have a single 5.25" bay. If I ever need to use a disc again, I have an external ODD at the ready.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Cool, I read stuff I didn't know was available for the 5.25 bay!

Dear diary: Today was not tomorrow and not yesterday, which I think is nice...

//Overengineering example:

#include <iostream>
#include <string>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
  string s = "Hello World";
  for (int i = 0; i < s.length(); ++i)
  {
      cout << s[i];
  }
  return 0;
}

I was dead set on having 5.25" drive bays on my first build, but have since moved away from it since pretty much every option that was listed has a USB or software alternative now. For example:

• Internal stats: software or those little LCD displays that people put inside their case
  • Optical drive: USB (USB optical drives seem to be much much quieter as well)
  • Memory card reader: USB
  • Fan/RGB controller: Fanhub and software
  • USB Ports: Dongles/hubs/PCI-E cards (Although not on the front)
  • DIY Projects: I've got nothing for that one

I'm sure there is an argument to be made here but this is what works for me, specifically because things like optical dives, card readers, and USB hubs can be moved to laptops and other computers easily. I also prefer the 'clean' look of the case and USB items can just be thrown in a drawer after use.

~Air Cooling Advocate~

7 minutes ago, Votivee said:

I was dead set on having 5.25" drive bays on my first build, but have since moved away from it since pretty much every option that was listed has a USB or software alternative now. For example:

• Internal stats: software or those little LCD displays that people put inside their case
  • Optical drive: USB (USB optical drives seem to be much much quieter as well)
  • Memory card reader: USB
  • Fan/RGB controller: Fanhub and software
  • USB Ports: Dongles/hubs/PCI-E cards (Although not on the front)
  • DIY Projects: I've got nothing for that one

I'm sure there is an argument to be made here but this is what works for me, specifically because things like optical dives, card readers, and USB hubs can be moved to laptops and other computers easily. I also prefer the 'clean' look of the case and USB items can just be thrown in a drawer after use.

I get your points, but I'd like to bring some nuances :

• To me, the point of having an internal stats monitor on the front of my case is exactly so that I don't need software and close my game or minimize it when I want to see the stats, they are just there, waiting to be read. (Along with the fact I am a gadget nerd and I love the look of a well-designed monitor of that kind on a case)
  • I personally don't like dongles, so if I need a card reader, I'd prefer it to be integrated into my case: it avoids having a messy desktop with all the dongles I would need for the cards I use and if I ever move my pc, I don't forget anything, it just follows. The same argument would apply to my Bluray drive. I watch BluRays rather regularly as it is my only BluRay reader (less expensive and I can then copy the movie to my raspberry pi in the lounge if I want to watch the movie somewhere else)

As for the rest, I agree, the other options are sufficient to me, but I can imagine some use cases requiring more USB ports on the front of the computer or controlling the fan manually instead of having to change the profile in software for the fans or the lighting of the case.

#include <iostream>
#include <string>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
  {
      cout << s[i];
  }
  return 0;
}

9 hours ago, Dredgy said:

I have two optical drives, blu ray reader and DVD writer.

also have a couple of these which I recommend to anyone,

I have several of those, including spares since their latches are prone to breakage. Mine also came with little trays that slide along the top of the drawer sides. They are handy little things for keeping little "bits and bobs", such as USB dongles and thumb drives, adapters, charging cables, etc.

One comment the guy in the video made is a common one that irritates me; "no one uses disk drives anymore." Aside from me wishing people would stop calling me "No One" or "Nobody", methinks this thread has proven that comment to be dead wrong. We may be in a minority, but there are people who still use ODDs. I use mine for ripping music CDs (still the best and, often, least expensive source of high quality music with proper tagging), DVDs, and BDs (the best source of high quality movies for movies, much better and more reliable than streaming and often less expensive, especially if one buys used or from bargain tables).

Then there are the various uses for the bays themselves. One that wasn't mentioned was reservoirs for water cooling.

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

15 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

One comment the guy in the video made is a common one that irritates me; "no one uses disk drives anymore." Aside from me wishing people would stop calling me "No One" or "Nobody", methinks this thread has proven that comment to be dead wrong.

I’m the guy in the video. I said it facetiously, I still use disk drives. 

1 minute ago, Dredgy said:

I’m the guy in the video. I said it facetiously, I still use disk drives. 

Ok, I'll give you that. ? Still, they are comments I hear or read frequently which are not true (my name is Jeannie).

Jeannie

3 minutes ago, Sirmyself said:

-snip-

Excellent points.

• I see what you mean. I have been fortunate enough to always have 2 monitors so it didn't even occur to me that you'd have to minimize what you're doing. For me any info I need is just always right there on my second monitor, but I can see where you are coming from and I would agree that would be a hassle. In this case I would also use a stats monitor.
  • I agree with you here. I don't like dongles either, but I don't use the integrated drives/ports enough to choose function over looks. I also really hate how loud optical drives can get when they spin up when turning on a computer. I do enjoy being able to move usb devices to different computers instead of how internal drives are bound to that device.

All in all, it just comes down to preference and use case. If I used cds and SD cards 3+ times a week I would no doubt have drive bays.

~Air Cooling Advocate~

6 minutes ago, Votivee said:

Excellent points.

• I see what you mean. I have been fortunate enough to always have 2 monitors so it didn't even occur to me that you'd have to minimize what you're doing. For me any info I need is just always right there on my second monitor, but I can see where you are coming from and I would agree that would be a hassle. In this case I would also use a stats monitor.
  • I agree with you here. I don't like dongles either, but I don't use the integrated drives/ports enough to choose function over looks. I also really hate how loud optical drives can get when they spin up when turning on a computer. I do enjoy being able to move usb devices to different computers instead of how internal drives are bound to that device.

All in all, it just comes down to preference and use case. If I used cds and SD cards 3+ times a week I would no doubt have drive bays.

I'll admit I didn't think about a second monitor. Up until recently, all my computer related stuff was cramped on/around my desk (pc on the floor next to my feet, printer on the desk, monitor stand with my monitor and some storage below) so I never had enough place for a second monitor...

Might be about to change as I now have a house and a dedicated office for my computer.

#include <iostream>
#include <string>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
  {
      cout << s[i];
  }
  return 0;
}

18 minutes ago, Sirmyself said:

I'll admit I didn't think about a second monitor. Up until recently, all my computer related stuff was cramped on/around my desk (pc on the floor next to my feet, printer on the desk, monitor stand with my monitor and some storage below) so I never had enough place for a second monitor...

Might be about to change as I now have a house and a dedicated office for my computer.

If you do end up getting a second monitor, I strongly urge you to get a dual monitor stand. The amount of desk space it frees up is unbelievable.

~Air Cooling Advocate~

1 minute ago, Votivee said:

If you do end up getting a second monitor, I strongly urge you to get a dual monitor stand. The amount of desk space it frees up is unbelievable.

Yeah, I know, I'll probably be saving money for the actual monitor though hahaha

#include <iostream>
#include <string>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
  {
      cout << s[i];
  }
  return 0;
}

Unfortunately, 75 voters are far from being representative of the overall computer case customer base, but I think the tendency is rather interesting...

If we take into account that some people skip over the topic, at least 75 people did care about the topic and about giving their opinion and/or thoughts. I don't know the number of people browsing the forum daily, but if the number is around 1500 daily users, that means about 5% of the active forum members did care enough to vote.

My estimation might be way over or way under estimating, so... well more or less 50% estimation is ok I guess... ?

#include <iostream>
#include <string>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
  {
      cout << s[i];
  }
  return 0;
}

24 people voted no only 20 used the voted no option. ?

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

10 minutes ago, will4623 said:

24 people voted no only 20 used the voted no option. ?

the "voted no" option wasn't there before, so some of the people that voted no voted for "other" probably

#include <iostream>
#include <string>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
  {
      cout << s[i];
  }
  return 0;