Survey : 5.25 drive bay Usage

Survey : 5.25 drive bay usage  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still use / want to use a 5.25" drive bay (not only optical drive, but anything that fits in 5.25 bays)?

• Still use in 2019 and proud of it
    • Maybe want to use, depends on what I can find
    • No, what the hell? is it 1995 again?
  2. 2. If you selected option 1 or 2 above, what would you use a 5.25 drive bay for?

• Slick internal stats monitor (temperature, fan speed, power usage, etc.)
    • Optical drive (DVD / Bluray)
    • Memory card reader
    • Fan / RGB - controller
    • Add USB ports (type A or C) on the front
    • DIY projects / Other
    • voted no : not applicable

Since a while now, we see fewer and fewer case manufacturers include 5.25 External drive bays in their cases. And a lot of PC users don't seem to want those bays anymore, but there seems to still be some customers for 5.25 devices.

I actually use two (a bluray drive and an all in one [temperature monitor - memory card reader - fan controller - external sata port - additional USB 3 ports]), but I was wondering if I was alone, so out of pure curiosity, I am starting a poll on that subject and hope to start a discussion on what you think the future of the 5.25 bay is.

Dear diary: Today was not tomorrow and not yesterday, which I think is nice...

//Overengineering example:

#include <iostream>
#include <string>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
  string s = "Hello World";
  for (int i = 0; i < s.length(); ++i)
  {
      cout << s[i];
  }
  return 0;
}

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

where is the option for floppy drive, those are useful.

Maybe not the drive itself but the bays are still definitely useful.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

didn't see that coming hahaha. Maybe I'll start a poll later on the 3.5 floppy drive bay

#include <iostream>
#include <string>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
  {
      cout << s[i];
  }
  return 0;
}

If I had another SATA port on my motherboard/PSU, I'd totally still have an optical drive in my daily. One of my longer-term plans for my XP rig after I get the main upgrades done (Enthoo Pro M, graphics card, RAM, and round IDE/floppy cables) is to try and hunt down a nice IDE DVD-RW laptop drive that doesn't cost as much as a house and one of those things that lets you take a single 5.25 bay and turn it into a slim ODD and 3.5 bay (where I'd install the floppy drive).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I voted no, but I do us a optical drive a few times a year. Since my case does not have a 5.25 bay I have just been setting the internal drive on the floor of the case.It makes no sense for me to spend any money on a proper external one.So if my case had one I would use it but I don't care if it has one base on how often I uses something that would be in it.

5 minutes ago, Sirmyself said:

didn't see that coming hahaha. Maybe I'll start a poll later on the 3.5 floppy drive bay

Gotcha! ? All seriousness aside, if you decide to do a survey on it, keep in mind some people still using 3.5" bay devices (card readers, etc.) are using 5.25" to 3.5" adapters to put those devices in.

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

I will admit I find an optical drive archaic in 2019 buuuuut at the same time I've also missed it for a few things (burning a LiveCD for a linux distro that refused to boot of USB for instance).

Most of the use I would have out of it I feel would be fan/RGB or some other gadgetry though.

Still have a DVD-RW drive, but rarely use it. So rarely in fact that the drive tray starts to stick from time to time when ejecting (thinks something obstructs the tray and cancels and closes tray)

My case is full tower so there's SIX 5.25" slots ... and I actually took advantage of that for a couple of months... i took a pci-e x1 riser adapter thing and placed it on top of the DVD drive and actually plugged a video card in it, with the video connectors of the video card popping out in the front of the case. It worked fine.

Basically, already had 2 RX 570 cards in x16 slots and had another x4 slot on the motherboard but the 3rd card (a RX 470) would have sat with just a few mm between its fans and the power supply grill and therefore lousier cooling... so I moved the video card on top of the optical drive using the riser.

7 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Gotcha! ? All seriousness aside, if you decide to do a survey on it, keep in mind some people still using 3.5" bay devices (card readers, etc.) are using 5.25" to 3.5" adapters to put those devices in.

Good point, I'll admit I don't use those since larger devices mean they can pack more stuff in it, but I can see people using 3.5 drive bays or adapters.

... that said... I just remembered I am using my 3.5 bay as a dual SSD drive bay (I DIYed an old floppy disk drive and repurposed the case to fit 2 SSDs)

#include <iostream>
#include <string>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
  {
      cout << s[i];
  }
  return 0;
}

I use my Bluray drive for the express purpose of ripping DVDs/Blurays but as soon as someone develops a steam for film/tv, that shit is gone.

-アパゾ

I'm currently ITX so no bay, but I was looking to upgrade my case partly to put a Bluray writer into the machine and was dismayed by not only the lack of cases that can fit a 160mm air cooler but also missing the drive bay.

I ended up using a USB 3.0 adapter, not a caddy, as it would have cost almost three times as much just for a stupid USB 3.0 caddy.  It seems 5.25 is just out of fashion.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

28 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

still use a floppy drive, still works perfectly fine for the purpose it serves.

on topic:

bluray burner in the top slot, and the slot below houses an SD card reader, and the remaining space serves as a shelf for some remotes.

I wouldn't be totally against an internal only 5.25 bay as they can be used for storage, but certainly I don't have any more need for an external one.

BTW the poll doesn't let you complete if you select option 3 in 1st section and leave 2nd section blank. 2nd section could use a "not applicable" setting for that.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 minutes ago, porina said:

I wouldn't be totally against an internal only 5.25 bay as they can be used for storage, but certainly I don't have any more need for an external one.

BTW the poll doesn't let you complete if you select option 3 in 1st section and leave 2nd section blank. 2nd section could use a "not applicable" setting for that.

I'll try to edit the poll, you're right.

EDIT : well... that was easy...

#include <iostream>
#include <string>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
  {
      cout << s[i];
  }
  return 0;
}

26 minutes ago, Bramimond said:

I've got six 5.25 drive bays. They're for HDDs together with this. I've also got two DVD-ROM drives in there, because hell why not.

Reveal hidden contents

0kid40.jpg

Are these enough 5.25" bays for you?

IMG_0002.JPG

1. Switch Panel - Power, Reset, Reset, LED Dimmer/Switch

2. USB 2.0, USB 3.0, Audio Ports, all behind a flip down door

3. Future 3.1 ports, also behind a door

4. Stealthed optical drive (CD/DVD/BD)

5. USM (Universal Storage Modual) hot swap bay (to be used for syncing files between the computer and my notebook computer's backup drives)

6-7. Hot swap bays for my backup SSDs

8-9. Stealthed SSD bays (total of 8 ) for my data storage SSDs (so far, have five). The Bay covers are held in by magnets and are removed by an even stronger magnet.

10-12. Stealthed storage drawers (pushing on the faces releases the latch)

13-14. Spare bays

The last three are dummy bays to allow room for air flow.

Jeannie

4 minutes ago, Sirmyself said:

I'll try to edit the poll, you're right.

EDIT : well... that was easy...

Also edited my vote to match, thanks.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Interesting results so far! Please share this poll with your friends, the more data it get, the more relevant its results are.

#include <iostream>
#include <string>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
  {
      cout << s[i];
  }
  return 0;
}

2 out of the 5 drive bays in my case are occupied, one by an optical drive reader (which I use from time to time) and another for some extra front USB ports. 

I'm also likely going to add a 120mm fan bracket up front at some point for that extra bit of airflow + aesthetics. There are some nice 120mm fan brackets that take up exactly 3 5.25" drive bays on ebay. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

I had used one of these 4 2.5 bays for a long time when i had more SSD's.  My case only had a few drive bays at the time.

image.png.bf4d46d8c121c3988315a1a3db4e6a11.png

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

I have BDroms in both my gaming rig and my mediaserver, their main use is writing CD's for the car as my bluetooth system in the car is phone only... no audio and I won't be replacing my car for a couple more years at least.  Worse still... the headunit doesn't even do MP3, and because it's an integrated unit with satnav and ac controls... kinda impossible to change.

I could get a grom or xcarlink system (I've used grom before and they're ok but very flawed) but that's an extra expense of around £130... and the cheap ones that plug intot he CD changer ports aren't compatible with the satnav version, only the radio/cd head units.

I also have 3.5"  mem card reader that's used quite a lot as I transfer all my photo's from SD cards to the PC... that's using a 5 1/4 to 3.5 adapter face plate.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

I have external ODD for when I need one,  now the only use I would have for a 5.25"" bay would be for a hotswap HDD if I ever decide to use one. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I would use it for anything it could have. I also work with things old enough to need a cd.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

I love 5.25" bays, because the options are there for some neat additions, and you can just cut away the metal if you don't want it.  Or buy a case with none to begin with lol.

I prefer the drive bays, but - BUT - as things shrink in size Ive used them less and less.  My 2 bay SSD holder with fan...barren because M.2 and put my SSD behind the motherboard tray.  Currently debating purchasing a two slot water cooling reservoir for my loop instead so I can see the fluid on the outside of the case.  Or I can put an 80mm radiator in there which I may do as well for funzies.

EDIT - in my spare parts pile I have far to many old DVD RW drives etc (I cant seem to throw anything away lol) and in my media center/server I have a BD RW drive and a DVD RW drive only because they would fit, and it got them out of the parts pile and into a bay that MIGHT be used one day (spoiler, have only used the Blue Ray player once, would rather stream lol)

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case