Help my games keep crashing

kentbarc1232
Go to solution Solved by jones177,

Some GPUs will crash if there is an overclock in the CPU. This overclock can be the default setting on the motherboard.

Also MSI Afterburner false reports on the 2080 ti and I find I have to reboot the computer every time I change anything. I have EVGA cards so I run Precision X1 at the same time to check.

The best way to test is to put the card in another gaming computer. This is easy for me to do since there are 3 gaming computers in my home.

If you can't put it in another computer to test, RMA it.  

My games keep crashing when  i set may mem clock at normal on msi after burner but when i put memclock on -350 it works fin i wanna know why is that?

20190711_063437.jpg

20190711_205250.jpg

Some GPUs will crash if there is an overclock in the CPU. This overclock can be the default setting on the motherboard.

Also MSI Afterburner false reports on the 2080 ti and I find I have to reboot the computer every time I change anything. I have EVGA cards so I run Precision X1 at the same time to check.

The best way to test is to put the card in another gaming computer. This is easy for me to do since there are 3 gaming computers in my home.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

6 hours ago, jones177 said:

I m having same issue except that mine runs fine when i run OC scanner from afterburner which set its Core clock to "curve" (frequency/voltage).

can we do something to bios to make it stable? as i cant Rma it, no warranty :(

the thing is that with this oc my card runs cooler, use less power while giving same fps on same settings in same games, so it doest crash. while on stock it runs hot 70s to 80°C  and the game crashes either giving the same error as OP or device hung-up error. sometime the screen stucks but the game is still running as i can confirm from sound.

I have Msi Armor OC gtx 1070

3 minutes ago, Ranger07 said:

I m having same issue except that mine runs fine when i run OC scanner from afterburner which set its Core clock to "curve" (frequency/voltage).

can we do something to bios to make it stable? as i cant Rma it, no warranty :(

the thing is that with this oc my card runs cooler, use less power while giving same fps on same settings in same games, so it doest crash. while on stock it runs hot 70s to 80 and the game crashes either giving the same error as OP or device hung-up error. sometime the screen stucks but the game is still running as i can confirm from sound.

I have Msi Armor OC gtx 1070

I find that these types of issues are mostly caused by motherboards.  That is why cards need to be tested in other computers. 

Early cards do have issues and most people don't check for bios updates so you could have an early bios.

I bought a GTX 1080 early and had to update the bios to get it running right. I had to do the same with the RTX 2080 ti. 

I am not a fan of the overclock scanner. I do it manually and use Heaven. 

Right now I max out power limit and see at what temps the card downclocks. I then add an overclock to the point just before it will downclock. That is usually well below the the max overclock that the GPU can take.  

I go by whatever works and don't worry about the rest. If your solution is working it is best not to mess with it.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

Doesn't the overclocking fix confirm the gpu to be problematic? 

i dont have access to another pc atm but i will do something about it soon.

Also i'll check for bios update.

The reason i went with oc scanner are;

1. I am not good at overclocking as i m new to these things

2. I thought it might fix it and it did :)

Ofc i m happy i found the solution but the reason i was asking for permanent fix is that i hate auto oc just like u and i think its time to go with manual overclock but as the card is being problematic at stock and i m not sure whats causing this, i think it will be pretty difficult to find stable oc as the problem i m having now is same as one would experience with bad oc

1 hour ago, Ranger07 said:

Doesn't the overclocking fix confirm the gpu to be problematic? 

Yes, but I was proven wrong with my own GPUs since they worked fine when I put the in other computers.

1 hour ago, Ranger07 said:

i dont have access to another pc atm but i will do something about it soon.

Also i'll check for bios update.

The reason i went with oc scanner are;

1. I am not good at overclocking as i m new to these things

2. I thought it might fix it and it did :)

Ofc i m happy i found the solution but the reason i was asking for permanent fix is that i hate auto oc just like u and i think its time to go with manual overclock but as the card is being problematic at stock and i m not sure whats causing this, i think it will be pretty difficult to find stable oc as the problem i m having now is same as one would experience with bad oc

I don't consider myself as a good overclocker either. I constantly watch Youtube videos to see what the experts do.

My CPU overclocks are to get the most out of my GPU and if no overclock works I go with that.

For my Gpu overclocks they are designed to get the most of the GPU before it downclocks. That is usually way below the GPUs overclocking potential but that is the reality of high performance GPUs on air.   

Right now is the only time I have not having a computer issue. Since I use 2 computers usually 1 is working right and the other isn't. So to me the odds are 50/50 to do a perfect build. Like any hobby all we can do is do the research.

12 hours ago, jones177 said:

Thanks ? i will also try to update the bios of my mother board let you know if that works. Games are already playable when  i put memclock  by -350 but  its just bothering me  that its needs to be below the normal memclock its nornal mem clock is at 7,000 mhz

They are playable at 6650 mhz  

10 hours ago, jones177 said:

Yes, but I was proven wrong with my own GPUs since they worked fine when I put the in other computers.

I don't consider myself as a good overclocker either. I constantly watch Youtube videos to see what the experts do.

My CPU overclocks are to get the most out of my GPU and if no overclock works I go with that.

For my Gpu overclocks they are designed to get the most of the GPU before it downclocks. That is usually way below the GPUs overclocking potential but that is the reality of high performance GPUs on air.   

Right now is the only time I have not having a computer issue. Since I use 2 computers usually 1 is working right and the other isn't. So to me the odds are 50/50 to do a perfect build. Like any hobby all we can do is do the research.

okay thanks alot for helping me out, i'll do as u advised :)