Upgrade to ryzen 3700x

Almond
1 minute ago, lee32uk said:

The MSI B450 Tomahawk and B450 Gaming Pro Carbon both have bios flashback if you don't want to spend £180. Either will cope fine with a 3700X.

Can they run the ram at 3600mhz? I'm really not that educated on this topic. 

1 minute ago, Almond said:

well Jurrunio said " Tomahawk doesn't have anything so bad that suggests it can't do 3600MHz, put it this way. Supposedly older boards that aren't the really cheap ones are all held back by the CPU's memory controller."

So maybe but if you live in the UK you can just send that ram back if you did go for a b450.

3 minutes ago, Almond said:

Should be easy with a 3xxx series cpu. You would have to be really unlucky not to run it at 3600.

Should be easy with a 3xxx series cpu. You would have to be really unlucky not to run it at 3600.

So either one works fine right? If anything I'll just set the ram for lower MHz. I'll order the b450 tomohawk in that case. 

even if he was unable to get 3600mhz @ c16 wouldn't he have some room to lower his timings maybe run them at 3200 c14 or 3400 c15? 

2 minutes ago, Almond said:

So either one works fine right? If anything I'll just set the ram for lower MHz. I'll order the b450 tomohawk in that case. 

Either board would be fine. The Gaming Pro Carbon is the better of the two as you get wifi and a slightly better VRM. Not sure off hand if they share the same audio or not. If you don't need wifi though then the Tomahawk is a good board for £80.

Just now, Coopson said:

even if he was unable to get 3600mhz @ c16 wouldn't he have some room to lower his timings maybe run them at 3200 c14 or 3400 c15? 

He can do. There are people on another forum I visit who have gone with cheapish Crucial 3000 ram and overclocked it fine to 3600 with an R5 3600 and B450 board.

1 hour ago, Almond said:

Does the x470 have the flashback, I don't have a spare amd cpu to run the bios update. I'm starting to lean towards the x570 because it's starting to become a hastle ?. Also I need to order my board today as it has to come tomorrow. 

now that makes me look stupid, but apparently MSI made the same button on X470 Carbon the clear CMOS button instead of B450's BIOS flashback button (if it has a button at all). Why they did that is beyond me since BIOS flashback is more desirable (and also more expensive to implement) than clear CMOS

Then in this case better roll back to B450. Only thing with BIOS flashback between the Crosshair VII Hero and B450 Carbon is the Gigabyte Gaming 7, and that's super close to C7H pricing anyway and outside the budget range

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

On 7/12/2019 at 5:14 PM, lee32uk said:

Either board would be fine. The Gaming Pro Carbon is the better of the two as you get wifi and a slightly better VRM. Not sure off hand if they share the same audio or not. If you don't need wifi though then the Tomahawk is a good board for £80.

He can do. There are people on another forum I visit who have gone with cheapish Crucial 3000 ram and overclocked it fine to 3600 with an R5 3600 and B450 board.

hey, just got my tomohawk and i assembled everything. had a go at few tests like prime95 and i checked the temps. Is it normal for the ryzen 7 3700x to run at 60C on idle? from what im seeing it keeps running at 4.2mhz at constant. That for me is pretty weird, i dont know if thats how amd works but i thought it would run at lower clocks, when theres nothing running. Could you possibly be able to help me with this.

1 hour ago, Almond said:

hey, just got my tomohawk and i assembled everything. had a go at few tests like prime95 and i checked the temps. Is it normal for the ryzen 7 3700x to run at 60C on idle? from what im seeing it keeps running at 4.2mhz at constant. That for me is pretty weird, i dont know if thats how amd works but i thought it would run at lower clocks, when theres nothing running. Could you possibly be able to help me with this.

Yeah those temps are high for idle.

There is a reddit thread below which suggests setting an offset voltage in the bios. 

28 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

There is a reddit thread below which suggests setting an offset voltage in the bios. 

ill have to do that then. It's just weird because the temp just jumps around from 48C to 58C constantly. 

3 hours ago, lee32uk said:

hey so i used the offset at -0.100 and the funny thing is temps are still at 55C and the cpu runs at 1.4v at idle. This is baffling to me as im no computer guru and it makes little to no sense at all. I'll try tweeking power plans and see where that takes me. 

13 hours ago, Almond said:

hey so i used the offset at -0.100 and the funny thing is temps are still at 55C and the cpu runs at 1.4v at idle. This is baffling to me as im no computer guru and it makes little to no sense at all. I'll try tweeking power plans and see where that takes me. 

Link below is worth a read if you haven't seen it. It mentions setting a balanced power plan.

https://www.techpowerup.com/257312/reports-of-ryzen-3000-high-idle-voltage-exaggerated-a-case-of-the-observer-effect

On 7/13/2019 at 6:15 PM, Almond said:

What tool are you using too see cpu temps ? I can see the overall temp but core temp and other tools arnt showing the core temps don't know if the tools arnt updated to work with the cpu yet or if I've got a problem on my end.

My idle temp is about the same at 45C-50c I'm with the stock cooler but I wasn't too bothered as I'll be sticking it in my water loop when I got the plate I need for the cpu block, what speed did you manage to get your ram to run at also I was having super long post times because CSM was on after I switched to UEFI it posted much quicker so you might want to make sure its off too.

Edit: The setting for the UEFI is on the advanced\windows OS configuration you might not be having the same issue as me but my post was taken a life time it would just turn my display on and off until it finally showed post 

On 7/11/2019 at 10:47 AM, Jurrunio said:

limit of older boards at the time is because there aren't better memory controllers to test them with. The layout isn't a problem as eventually people get 3600 to work on Zen+

I've got my 3200mhz overclocked to 3600mhz so you was right ?