Ok Google, eavesdrop on me. Google employees listening to Google Home recordings

51 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

Leagues better than a car, and probably also still better than leaving lights on.

Yeah, those 7W LED's, the destroyers of worlds...

13 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Yeah, those 7W LED's, the destroyers of worlds...

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Dude, you brought a fucking car into this thread and now I'm shifting goal posts... Dude, I'm done here coz you don't have a clue what you're even talking.

On 7/10/2019 at 12:00 PM, RejZoR said:

Why people stick these stupid devices in their homes is just beyond baffling. Are people really this dumb or just don't give a fuck at all? Like, come on, would you let your neighbor listen to ALL your conversations? Of course not. But they are totally fine because it's Google and it's listened to by someone 1000 kilometers away. So all is fine. I think people don't even know what is happening and when someone tells them they look at them like they are some sort of paranoid fruitcakes. Wake up people!

My entire household, including myself, just don't care if anyone is listening honestly. If google or whoever wants to hear us go about our boring lives then go ahead, no skin off my back

6 hours ago, THEIsaacPigg27 said:

My entire household, including myself, just don't care if anyone is listening honestly. If google or whoever wants to hear us go about our boring lives then go ahead, no skin off my back

That's the problem with general public mentality of "I don't have anything to hide" or "my life is boring anyway". Just don't be shocked when things will one day mysteriously go against you. Like getting medical insurance denied for your cancer treatment because they heard you talk about it through your "smart" device before you insured for it or something along those ways. People call us paranoid idiots today for warning about that, but that's literally the future we're inevitably coming to if people so carelessly don't give a shit about their privacy. Companies just don't give a shit about privacy for as long as they make billions a year. And how things just leak out through contractors and everyone walks away from it scott free, that's some scary shit happening and it's not looking to become any better in the future. It'll only get worse.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE :

The Data Protection Authority in Hamburg (Germany) launched a deep investigation into Google's practices and started a procedure to forbid them from listening to recordings. 

Google decided not to wait for a verdict and has announced that they will stop manually reviewing recordings made in the EU for the next 3 months. 

https://datenschutz-hamburg.de/assets/pdf/2019-08-01_press-release-Google_Assistant.pdf

On 7/16/2019 at 4:22 AM, Commodus said:

I'm aware of that case and what's mentioned in Google, and you're just proving my point -- people are operating on bad understandings of what these devices are actually doing.

In the murder case you cited, police and prosecutors were simply hoping that the Echo speaker was always recording info.  And guess what?  Prosecutors dropped the case because their case, which hinged on that speaker data, didn't have enough evidence.

Also, I have to laugh at the Google claim, because it shows a fundamental misunderstanding of how Assistant works.  Yeah, no shit it doesn't include "OK Google," because it doesn't start recording until after you've said the hotwords.  And if it misinterprets what you say as matching the hotwords (which definitely happens), it's going to capture audio clips by accident.  There's a big difference between "you said something that sounded like hey/OK Google" and intentionally recording non-commands.

Normally I disagree with you, but so far you are putting up quite a good case for me to relax my fear of these devices.    Not enough to buy one but certainly be more open about what they do.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

7 hours ago, mr moose said:

Normally I disagree with you, but so far you are putting up quite a good case for me to relax my fear of these devices.    Not enough to buy one but certainly be more open about what they do.

Thanks, it's appreciated.  That's the thing -- I don't expect people to rush into the embraces of Google or Amazon, but they should base their concerns on what the devices and assistants are actually doing, not their irrational fears and suspicions.