1-2 Switch Switch - Nintendo Releases reasonably priced Nintendo Switch Lite

rcmaehl

if this means the price of the switch drops, I may buy one again. I'm sure as hell not buying this.

I love Nintendo.

But damn their hardware is expensive. Considering I can get a PS4 or an Xbox for the same price, and have way more features, means I have a hard time justifying spending that kind of money on a switch.

Now they release the switch lite, and remove the ability to hook it to a TV? So it's basically competing with the 3DS? Except the 3DS has worse graphics. So why would I buy a 3DS now? 

I'm going to have to pass. I get the idea behind it, portable, light weight, but I'm not about to buy two of these for my kids when I can buy a single switch and we all can play together.  

Edit:

Why call it the switch when you've taken all the features away that make it a switch? 

23 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Waiting for more powerful version and will buy if...

• At least 1080p
  • Higher screen to body ratio
  • Glass screen and metal body
  • Built in cellular modem
  • Can do more than just games

I'm a working adult. Willing to pay more for a quality device.

Not more than $500 though. Having money to spend doesn't mean I'd let anyone gouge my wallet.

Not going to happen.  Nintendo makes consoles that are accessible to kids, and that means designing with kids in mind.  A metal Switch with narrow bezels would break so quickly, not to mention face possible Wi-Fi reception issues.  And while Nintendo may be willing to build more than one Switch to court different audiences, it wants to court wide audiences -- adults willing to spend $400-500 on a mid-cycle handheld console with LTE data don't exactly represent a large demographic.

I could see the glass display, though even then I'm sure Nintendo has nightmares of kids cutting their fingers if and when the glass shatters.  Also, it already does more than just games; you can watch YouTube, Hulu and one or two other services on it.  No Netflix yet, but then people were wondering if YouTube would ever come.

What I don't get is why you can't just buy the regular system and have... well, fun?  You're so obsessed with the construction and specs that you treat the main thing you'd buy it for, the games, as an afterthought.

23 minutes ago, Stroal said:

I love Nintendo.

But damn their hardware is expensive. Considering I can get a PS4 or an Xbox for the same price, and have way more features, means I have a hard time justifying spending that kind of money on a switch.

Now they release the switch lite, and remove the ability to hook it to a TV? So it's basically competing with the 3DS? Except the 3DS has worse graphics. So why would I buy a 3DS now? 

I'm going to have to pass. I get the idea behind it, portable, light weight, but I'm not about to buy two of these for my kids when I can buy a single switch and we all can play together.  

Edit:

Why call it the switch when you've taken all the features away that make it a switch? 

have fun stuffing a ps4 and xbox in your pocket and playing them on the go

Ryzen 5 3600 | EVGA CLC240 | EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC Ultra | ASRock B450 Pro4 | 16gb EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200 | 1tb WD SN550 | 2tb SanDisk Ultra 3DEVGA P2 650w | Fractal Design Meshify CViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD + ViewSonic VS2412-H | GHS.RAR (Boba U4s, Staebies, GMK Aurora Polaris + Artisans) | Steelseries Aerox Ghost | Artisan-Japan Ninja FX Hien (M/Soft) | Fostex HP-A3 | Fostex PM0.3G | Fostex T60RP | Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro | Beyerdynamic FOX

1 minute ago, Exprima said:

have fun stuffing a ps4 and xbox in your pocket and playing them on the go

I can do that with the Switch. Why would I buy a cut down version ? 

Just now, Stroal said:

I can do that with the Switch. Why would I buy a cut down version ? 

if u already have a switch this is not aimed at you

Ryzen 5 3600 | EVGA CLC240 | EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC Ultra | ASRock B450 Pro4 | 16gb EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200 | 1tb WD SN550 | 2tb SanDisk Ultra 3DEVGA P2 650w | Fractal Design Meshify CViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD + ViewSonic VS2412-H | GHS.RAR (Boba U4s, Staebies, GMK Aurora Polaris + Artisans) | Steelseries Aerox Ghost | Artisan-Japan Ninja FX Hien (M/Soft) | Fostex HP-A3 | Fostex PM0.3G | Fostex T60RP | Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro | Beyerdynamic FOX

29 minutes ago, Stroal said:

I think maybe you answered your own question.

3 minutes ago, Exprima said:

if u already have a switch this is not aimed at you

Yeah I mean it's not a Switch though. It has none of the features that made the switch the switch. The only thing it can do is play Switch games. It now competes with the 3DS. So why buy a 3DS. Also why is a 3DS so expensive? 

It just seems like a cash grab for the new Pokemon game release in the fall. I'm sure people will buy it because Nintendo can do no wrong, but the product just doesn't make much sense to me. 

As long as those humongous bezels exist, I'll hold off from buying one

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 minute ago, TacoSenpai said:

I think maybe you answered your own question.

Right that's my point. The 3DS is still $229. It's more expensive and performs worse. 

Just now, Stroal said:

Yeah I mean it's not a Switch though. It has none of the features that made the switch the switch. The only thing it can do is play Switch games. It now competes with the 3DS. So why buy a 3DS. 

It just seems like a cash grab for the new Pokemon game release in the fall. I'm sure people will buy it because Nintendo can do no wrong, but the product just doesn't make much sense to me. 

it's using the switch name because it plays switch games, it doesn't have all of the switch features to lower the price point and a lot of people were vocal about a strictly portable switch with non-removable joy-cons. i don't understand what's so hard to grasp. it's a cash grab? nintendo wants consumer's money that's crazy, almost like they're running a business or something

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

As long as those humongous bezels exist, I'll hold off from buying one

Or, you could stop obsessing over bezels, buy one and realize that it's a fine gaming machine.

3 minutes ago, Stroal said:

Right that's my point. The 3DS is still $229. It's more expensive and performs worse. 

I actually didn't realize the 3DS was still that expensive.  I give it another 3 months tops before Nintendo announces they are ending support for it.

Just now, Exprima said:

it's using the switch name because it plays switch games, it doesn't have all of the switch features to lower the price point and a lot of people were vocal about a strictly portable switch with non-removable joy-cons. i don't understand what's so hard to grasp. it's a cash grab? nintendo wants consumer's money that's crazy, almost like they're running a business or something

Yeah and once you get drift on those joycons you're screwed. Already happened to two of my joycons and they are only 6 months old. 

Obvious statement is obvious, of course they want more money, that wasn't the point. My point is it's just going to be a worse version of the switch, that won't have repairable joycon controllers, that  can't be hooked up to the TV, that loses all the features of the switch, just so I can play switch games.  It's just a worse product that will sell well, much like what Apple does, because of the fan base alone. That doesn't make it a good product. 

If Apple did something like this, this forum would riot. But everything Nintendo does is perfect in every way. 

1 minute ago, TacoSenpai said:

I actually didn't realize the 3DS was still that expensive.  I give it another 3 months tops before Nintendo announces they are ending support for it.

If they don't upgrade/reduce price/ drop it, I wouldn't be shocked. 

1 minute ago, Stroal said:

Yeah and once you get drift on those joycons you're screwed. Already happened to two of my joycons and they are only 6 months old. 

Obvious statement is obvious, of course they want more money, that wasn't the point. My point is it's just going to be a worse version of the switch, that won't have repairable joycon controllers, that  can't be hooked up to the TV, that loses all the features of the switch, just so I can play switch games.  It's just a worse product that will sell well, much like what Apple does, because of the fan base alone. That doesn't make it a good product. 

If Apple did something like this, this forum would riot. But everything Nintendo does is perfect in every way. 

i don't think anybody was saying this is a perfect product, it's just a more approachable product price-wise for people that don't care about playing on a tv

we don't know yet if this will get that drift problem, and even if it happen nintendo has some of the best warranty in the industry. also it's not fair to compare nintendo to apple, because a gaming console is defined by its games. u can justify buying a console despite it not being exactly how you want because you really want to play the games available to it.

2 hours ago, Commodus said:

I hope you never run a business, because you're guaranteed to run it into the ground with bad decisions.

I help run a business... and it's growing.

Probably because I don't push products that are nothing but bad compromises and rely on my legacy to sell it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

16 minutes ago, Stroal said:

If they don't upgrade/reduce price/ drop it, I wouldn't be shocked. 

I think thats really what this is about.  Less about having a 'lower end Switch' and more about putting the 3DS out to pasture. 

7 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Probably because I don't push products that are nothing but bad compromises and rely on my legacy to sell it.

Well, Nintendo is wildly successful with its "bad compromises," so maybe you shouldn't pretend that you know better than it does.

18 minutes ago, TacoSenpai said:

I think thats really what this is about.  Less about having a 'lower end Switch' and more about putting the 3DS out to pasture. 

I hope you're right. 

15 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Well, Nintendo is wildly successful with its "bad compromises," so maybe you shouldn't pretend that you know better than it does.

Financially, sure, for now they are.

Doesn't make the Switch any less of a joke than it is.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

7 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

10 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

I'm not obsessed with construction for the sake of luxury, or specs for the sake of specs. I care about that because I care about the efficient use of resources which benefits both the consumer and overall sustainability. Perhaps I was once fine with a throwaway plastic toy that can only do one thing. But not any more. I grew up, I changed. For the better.

A metal switch would be a hardier device. It would not cause wifi reception issues if it wasnt designed by an idiot. How do I know? So many metal phones work perfectly fine. Glass display a worry? How would it be any more worry than the glass on smartphones that every kid already has? If you want to talk about wear and damage, a more immediate and apparent issue is plastic screens getting all scratched up and detracting from the user's experience.

I have no issue with Nintendo wanting to sell to a wide audience. I do not expect them to cater solely to me. If they don't happen to have something I would buy, then so be it. But I will never have anyone tell me what I want and what I should do, when my opinion and desires are all perfectly reasonable.

No, a metal Switch wouldn't be more durable.  Aluminum not only dents, it's slicker and harder to hold.  And on reception?  Metal wouldn't be catastrophic, but the simple reality is that a plastic body is much more permissive to wireless signals than one that's mostly metal.  That's particularly important for the Joy-Cons, which don't have a lot of space for antenna windows.

Also, you really haven't thought about the Switch's target audience.  It's aimed at kids aged 6 and up.  You don't give a 6-year-old a personal smartphone.  And the plastic display is clearly a trade-off.  Yes, it's more prone to scratching, but Nintendo I believe has made a fairly wise trade-off -- complaints about a few scratches are far easier to deal with than "my kid had to get stitches."

I'm not telling you what you want -- I'm just baffled that you'd intentionally ignore a good experience just because it's not perfect in ways that don't ultimately matter.  To abuse car analogies: you're saying "this sports car is a blast to drive and well within my budget, but it doesn't have carbon fiber bodywork so I won't buy it."  You only have one life -- if you want to play the games the Switch has to offer, buy it and enjoy it for what it is.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Financially, sure, for now they are.

Doesn't make the Switch any less of a joke than it is.

"For now" has been two years with no signs of slowing down.  I'd be more concerned about what comes after the Switch than how the Switch performs.

And wow... I can't imagine being such a bitter, hateful person that I couldn't enjoy a Nintendo console.  You must be real fun at parties.

50 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Or, you could stop obsessing over bezels, buy one and realize that it's a fine gaming machine.

Mmmmmhhhh... No

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>