1-2 Switch Switch - Nintendo Releases reasonably priced Nintendo Switch Lite

rcmaehl
Just now, kaiju_wars said:

Eh, for not much more you can get the full switch.  I’d honestly say hard pass on the Lite

idk I think my sister would prefer a dedicated handheld. There definitely is a market for the Lite.

I think that it's clearly designed for those people who only wants a handheld console but, actually Switch is already a handheld.

For me, the biggest problwm with this Lite is the screen, some games like Monster Hunter and probably (I hadn't bought it yet) Dark Souls should be a bit "hard" (I don't find the word i'm looking for xD) to play.

Biggest downfall is that is so much less and it’s only $100 cheaper. No real savings in value.

2 hours ago, Donki Knog said:

I think that it's clearly designed for those people who only wants a handheld console but, actually Switch is already a handheld.

For me, the biggest problwm with this Lite is the screen, some games like Monster Hunter and probably (I hadn't bought it yet) Dark Souls should be a bit "hard" (I don't find the word i'm looking for xD) to play.

Maybe unpleasant is what your are looking for

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Basically to me it seems like a fine device for a lot of people, but the pricing is wayyyyy off in the UK. You can get a OG Switch in near brand new condition for the same price. And price is kinda the only advantage of the switch lite, i dont really see why anyone would buy it if it was more expensive (which it kinda is in the UK if you look on ebay/etc) than the OG switch.

Desktop: Slick

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600    Motherboard: Asus Prime X470-Pro    RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz CL16   GPU: GTX 1080 8GB 

Storage: Samsung PM981 256GB (970 EVO)    PSU: Corsair TX650M   Case: Lian-Li PCO11 Dynamic - White  Fans: Deepcool RF120mm RGB

Peripherals: HP Omen X 35 Ultrawide (3440x1440, 100hz, G-Sync), Logitech g903, mdr-1000x, umc22 + AKG D5, Drevo Blademaster 87K RGB (Gateron Browns)

Laptop: Surface Laptop 2 Platinum - i5 8250u, 8gb ram, 256gb nvme, 13 inch pixelsense touch display

Phone: Huawei Mate 20 pro 128gb Black + iphone 6s 32gb gold

On 7/10/2019 at 1:35 PM, rcmaehl said:

Nintendo has announced the Nintendo Switch lite at only $199. A full 1/3 off the base model price. 

Hey not bad, it'll make for a nice birthday/Christmas present if anybody I know wants a Switch but doesn't need the joycon modularity.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

22 hours ago, Brainless906 said:

Jesus christ, my man who pissed in your Wheaties?

That guy gets into every thread and shits on whatever the thread is about.

14 hours ago, Drak3 said:

That means that there is a design flaw and third party companies are trying to fix it because Nintendo won't.

The common user shouldn't have to fix bad design. Especially for a "kid's console."

If it came with a different controller you would be ITT complaining about it too. I have no issues with the ergonomics of the Joycons. I would argue that hundred of thousands of people don't and that a similar amount do. The company can't produce something that everybody likes, stop acting like they could. 

They allow third party controller support and that is all we can ask for. How is it bad that you have the option to use a different controller? Just because some people find the stock controller un-ergonomic doesn't just make it bad.

I will buy this. Don't have a switch yet, and was looking for a cheaper option. There were never any pricedrops or good deals to be found.

I would have used the switch exclusively handheld most likely anyway, so this is perfect for me.

I slept on this thread, and now I'm conflicted.

My 3DS is gathering dust on a shelf because I'm always playing consoles or PC games. I never really want to come home, sit down, crane my neck over, and play a handheld game. Clearly I'm not the audience for this.

On the other hand, though, if this means they release a TV-only switch...

I'm interested (I was not so much before). I wonder what the screen/graphical quality is like at 720p?

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Nvidia RTX 3090 FE - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32GB DDR4 3200MHz - Samsung 980 Pro 250GB NVMe m.2 PCIE 4.0 - 970 Evo 1TB NVMe m.2 - T5 500GB External SSD - Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (Wi-Fi 6) - Corsair H150i Pro RGB 360mm - 3 x 120mm Corsair AF120 Quiet Edition - 3 x 120mm Corsair ML120 - Corsair RM850X - Corsair Carbide 275R - Asus ROG PG279Q IPS 1440p 165hz G-Sync - Logitech G513 Linear - Logitech G502 Lightsync Wireless - Steelseries Arctic 7 Wireless

On 7/10/2019 at 6:55 AM, Drak3 said:

And?

Again, and?

The Switch itself is an inferior offering as a home console, physical design is worse than a stock Vita. Nintendo made too many compromises, and the only up side to this piece of shit is that it's portable.

Who hurt you?

Was it Bowser?

God I really hope they don't do some super cool designs like they did with the 3DS, because I have no reason to own two Nintendo Switches.

Somebody tweeted this and I would buy it in a heartbeat.

995fbc5f38aed45252ca9fd767a1fd51.png

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

RIP the 3DS, 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

This actually looks really fucking cool. I might consider getting one considering I love a lot of Nintendo games (most stuff in the Mario franchise like Mario Kart and SMB, never really played Pokemon or anything else lol).

This is more of a general Switch question, but what kind of backwards compatibility does the Switch have? Any chance it can play Wii games? :P

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

I'm surprised so many people have a problem with this - it's fully 1/3rd cheaper than the full Switch, and has the same performance capabilities. This is what people wanted. A portable Switch that was cheaper.

Want all the features the Switch has? Then buy the full blown Switch.

I would also like Nintendo to make a non-undockable "Console Only" Switch too - to cater to those who never use handheld. The perfect lineup to me would be:

1. Handheld only Switch Lite ($199)

2. Regular Switch ($299)

3. Console only Switch ($349)

But even with just options 1 and 2? Still a great hardware lineup. For those who are saying $100 isn't enough of a discount? Really? It's only a $300 base price. $100 off is one third the price. That's damn good. For those who can afford the extra $100, just buy the full Switch.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

I'm surprised so many people have a problem with this - it's fully 1/3rd cheaper than the full Switch, and has the same performance capabilities. This is what people wanted. A portable Switch that was cheaper.

Want all the features the Switch has? Then buy the full blown Switch.

I would also like Nintendo to make a non-undockable "Console Only" Switch too - to cater to those who never use handheld. The perfect lineup to me would be:

1. Handheld only Switch Lite ($199)

2. Regular Switch ($299)

3. Console only Switch ($349)

But even with just options 1 and 2? Still a great hardware lineup. For those who are saying $100 isn't enough of a discount? Really? It's only a $300 base price. $100 off is one third the price. That's damn good. For those who can afford the extra $100, just buy the full Switch.

I have to disagree.  

It's 1/3rd cheaper than a regular switch, for more than 1/3 less features.  Personally I think the best price would be... $180 at most.  

I like the Lite, mostly.  (Hell, I love the design, a lot!).  (You can read my hottake on the last page).  But I think it would have been perfect if it had the ability to be docked.

Not come with a dock, mind you.  Just have the ability to dock.

While the smaller screen is perfect for portability, which I also like that decision... you can also use other controllers (such as other joycons as Nintendo has said).  That's fine and cool, except, you're stuck with a screen smaller than a lot of phones now (my phone has a bigger screen, for example), and there's no kickstand to prop it up in those instances.
I think they should have included a kickstand, or made it dockable in this case.

The advertising shows it being used a lot in multiplayer, which I think is cool.  A group of friends hanging out is even shown.  So since it's portable and you're expected to bring it everywhere with you (obvious exaggeration, but still).  What if you bring it to your friend's house?  That would be cool if you could quickly slap it in your friend's dock to play a quick game of Mario Kart on your save file, or want to show him a new game?  Now you have to hunch over each other's shoulders.  

It's a portable switch, but the regular switch is too.  The Switch line also means how it switches from home, to portable.  It's not a Switch now except for (most) software support.  (there are some software that won't work on the Lite.)  It's basically GameBoy Advance 2.0, IMO.

And with the used and refurbished market.  (Hell, you can get a refurbished Switch from Nintendo for $260) the value proposition really starts dropping in my eyes.

I think if they just included the ability to be docked.  They'd have knocked it out of the park.  Buying everything separate that comes with a regular Switch is more than $100 altogether, but it would have made value for both the regular Switch and the Lite.  The Lite could have been the perfect starter console.  Could get a dock later down the road, maybe a pro controller or wired controller.  

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

This what the normal switch should cost tbh. It’s way overpriced for what it is

🙂

Umm why?

The switch cost 2890 NOK here, while the switch lite is listed at 2490 NOK pre-order. You are paying a 16% premium for the full console. Maybe it's different in other markets, maybe it's prices 5-10% above release price at the moment for some reason.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

19 minutes ago, MMKing said:

Umm why?

The switch cost 2890 NOK here, while the switch lite is listed at 2490 NOK pre-order. You are paying a 16% premium for the full console. Maybe it's different in other markets, maybe it's prices 5-10% above release price at the moment for some reason.

It's a much steeper discount in places like North America, where the Lite will cost about a third less than the regular Switch.  I'm not sure why the gap would be so much narrower in Norway, unless you're comparing discounted full Switch prices or retailers are just trying to pad the Lite's price.

On 7/10/2019 at 1:37 PM, Lurick said:

If they don't come out with and call the (possibly) more powerful version a Switch switch switch OR a Switch Cubed then I'll be disappointed :P

It should be called a switch-a-roo

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

4 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

I have to disagree.  

It's 1/3rd cheaper than a regular switch, for more than 1/3 less features.  Personally I think the best price would be... $180 at most.

You can say it has lost more than 1/3rd the features, but whether those features are important or not is highly subjective. Nintendo still needs to make a healthy profit, and a $100 discount is honestly more than I would have expected.

Most big companies would have only given you $50 off something like this, just to encourage you to buy the more expensive one.

I like the Lite, mostly.  (Hell, I love the design, a lot!).  (You can read my hottake on the last page).  But I think it would have been perfect if it had the ability to be docked.

Not come with a dock, mind you.  Just have the ability to dock.

Why dock it though, when it's not designed to be used with a TV? If you want the dock, buy the full Switch.

While the smaller screen is perfect for portability, which I also like that decision... you can also use other controllers (such as other joycons as Nintendo has said).  That's fine and cool, except, you're stuck with a screen smaller than a lot of phones now (my phone has a bigger screen, for example), and there's no kickstand to prop it up in those instances.

The screen size was almost certainly a compromise between portability and usefulness. Yeah it's smaller than some phones, but it also has to cram on buttons and controls, etc.

I'd suggest that the size is overall quite good when balancing all aspects.

I think they should have included a kickstand, or made it dockable in this case.

I agree it should have included a Kickstand. Instead, people will end up buying third party cases that include a stand.

The advertising shows it being used a lot in multiplayer, which I think is cool.  A group of friends hanging out is even shown.  So since it's portable and you're expected to bring it everywhere with you (obvious exaggeration, but still).  What if you bring it to your friend's house?  That would be cool if you could quickly slap it in your friend's dock to play a quick game of Mario Kart on your save file, or want to show him a new game?  Now you have to hunch over each other's shoulders.

You should buy a full Switch, if these are features you want.

It's a portable switch, but the regular switch is too.  The Switch line also means how it switches from home, to portable.  It's not a Switch now except for (most) software support.  (there are some software that won't work on the Lite.)  It's basically GameBoy Advance 2.0, IMO.

It's exactly a Gameboy Advance 2.0. One that's compatible with Switch games (fully, if you buy the extra joycons). That's an awesome value proposition.

And with the used and refurbished market.  (Hell, you can get a refurbished Switch from Nintendo for $260) the value proposition really starts dropping in my eyes.

Sure, but refurbished is a compromise not everyone is comfortable with. Shorter warranty (or none at all, depending on where you buy it from). A refurbished Switch might have more issues or might die sooner.

Or it might not. Each person has to decide whether that's worth it.

I think if they just included the ability to be docked.  They'd have knocked it out of the park.  Buying everything separate that comes with a regular Switch is more than $100 altogether, but it would have made value for both the regular Switch and the Lite.  The Lite could have been the perfect starter console.  Could get a dock later down the road, maybe a pro controller or wired controller.  

I think if they included the ability to dock, they're basically selling a shittier full Switch.

I fully understand each persons expectations for this are different. I just think that people are expecting it to basically be a full Switch for cheaper.

To me, the compromises mostly make perfect sense. I could definitely want a few things changed (Kickstand, and perhaps a larger screen with smaller bezels), but honestly those are nitpicks.

Instead of trying to cram those extra features into this, I'd prefer they release a permanently docked Switch ("Console" version) instead - one without a battery, that cannot be used as a mobile device.

Adding that to the regular Switch and the Switch Lite would be a kickass product lineup.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

18 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

You can say it has lost more than 1/3rd the features, but whether those features are important or not is highly subjective. Nintendo still needs to make a healthy profit, and a $100 discount is honestly more than I would have expected.

Most big companies would have only given you $50 off something like this, just to encourage you to buy the more expensive one.

Ehh, I think that at least having the ability to dock (with not including one) they easily could have gotten the $100 price drop.  Smaller overall size, smaller screen, and all in one design are all money saving designs in and of themselves.

Why dock it though, when it's not designed to be used with a TV? If you want the dock, buy the full Switch.

The screen size was almost certainly a compromise between portability and usefulness. Yeah it's smaller than some phones, but it also has to cram on buttons and controls, etc.

I'd suggest that the size is overall quite good when balancing all aspects.

Because it is supposed to be a Switch.  The whole Switch moniker is how you switch from handheld to home console (and back again.)  I believe adding dock support would have made it amazing as a starter Switch.  Hell, Nintendo already sells a "dockless bundle" of the regular Switch in Japan at a big discount.

I agree it should have included a Kickstand. Instead, people will end up buying third party cases that include a stand.

Yeah, this was one of the biggest oversights in my opinion.

You should buy a full Switch, if these are features you want.

Really, the only feature I want is it to be docked, tbh.  I'd honestly be okay with the other compromises if this was the case.  Hell, I'd sell my regular Switch by itself and pick up a turquoise Switch Lite if it could be docked.  I love the design and the inclusion of the D-Pad on the (built-in) joycons.

It's exactly a Gameboy Advance 2.0. One that's compatible with Switch games (fully, if you buy the extra joycons). That's an awesome value proposition.

Nope, Nintendo has already stated it won't support all Switch software.  The most notable is Labo, which really only the VR kit is popular.  But any game or piece of software that doesn't support handheld mode can't be played on it either.  I can only think of a handful of games atm, but I don't have a full list of unsupported games.  (Sorry, I can try to find one later).

Sure, but refurbished is a compromise not everyone is comfortable with. Shorter warranty (or none at all, depending on where you buy it from). A refurbished Switch might have more issues or might die sooner.

Or it might not. Each person has to decide whether that's worth it.

That's fair, but I believe when still talking about cut down consoles, people need to keep in mind of the used market also.  While sure, a lot of people don't like used or refurbished, a lot of people also do.

I think if they included the ability to dock, they're basically selling a shittier full Switch.

I fully understand each persons expectations for this are different. I just think that people are expecting it to basically be a full Switch for cheaper.

To me, the compromises mostly make perfect sense. I could definitely want a few things changed (Kickstand, and perhaps a larger screen with smaller bezels), but honestly those are nitpicks.

I mean, sure.  But a good example of a "cut down" console would be the New 2DS XL; it was supposed to be the shittier full New 3DS XL.  It ended up becoming the "go-to" for 3DS models.  It was smaller, not as premium materials, didn't include 3D.  But it had the biggest part of the DS line that the OG 2DS left out, clamshell design.  It still had Amiibo support like the New 3DS did, and arguably a much better design (much as the Switch Lite here)

I think dock support wouldn't really have made it a "shittier full Switch."  Hell, with how many people I've seen wanting a D-pad on the joycons alone, and wanting a (at least slightly) smaller package for more portability, if the Switch Lite was dockable, I could see it being the "go-to" model for the Switch.  Just buy a Dock later, especially now that Nintendo dropped the price of em from like $90 to down to like $50 or $60.  (And bringing up used again, you can find used Nintendo docks cheaper than that).

Instead of trying to cram those extra features into this, I'd prefer they release a permanently docked Switch ("Console" version) instead - one without a battery, that cannot be used as a mobile device.

Adding that to the regular Switch and the Switch Lite would be a kickass product lineup.

I still wouldn't like that.  I would rather a more powerful Tegra be released (or if Nvidia doesn't want to, then AMD step up with maybe something based off Zen 2 and Navi), and we get the Switch 2 or whatever it'd be called.

I think the Switch Line should remain switchable from Home to handheld.  But that's just being subjective.  

Being honest, at the end of the day, the Lite is going to sell well, it's Nintendo.  Even their shittiest home console (in terms of sales) the Wii U, sold more than 13 million consoles.  I think a lot of people will end up liking it.  

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.