1-2 Switch Switch - Nintendo Releases reasonably priced Nintendo Switch Lite

rcmaehl
7 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

It's capitalism. You tend to the greatest audience. 

So, are you going to make an actual counter argument?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I'm disappointed in the Lite.

Here's what I like/okay with:

• It's portable only out of box (I'll clarify on this in a bit)
  • attached joycons
  • better battery life (at least advertised)
  • Smaller

Here's what I'm indifferent on:

• $199 price tag... in a vacuum (again, I'll clarify on this in a bit)
  • no HD Rumble

Here's what disappoints me:

• Lack of motion controls
  • No ambient brightness
  • Not able to be docked, at all
  • no kickstand
  • Portable only, and that's all she wrote.
  • Wants to be portable only device, but the screen size is quite a bit smaller.  Sure, it's a smaller footprint, but this is all the screen you're gonna get.

Now, here's what I need to clarify on.

In a vacuum, you only have brand new devices.  Let's assume there isn't a used market.

For $100 less, the Switch Lite ain't bad.  I even like the design.  I think really love the turqoise one.  But we aren't in a vacuum.  For $50 more than the Lite, you can get a used Switch from GameStop, comes with a 30 day warranty (granted you can buy a longer one).  Comes with the full switch experience, including a dock.  Plus, we don't know if Nintendo fixed the joycon drift issue with this Switch Lite.  Where with the regular switch you can just buy new joycons, or repair it yourself if you're brave enough.  You're SOL out the whole device with the Lite.

I don't think they should have removed the ability to dock.

I would be okay if they even released (separately) a smaller, proprietary, "the Lite can only use this dock" dock along side it.  Or even use the regular Switch dock.  Now it's not a Switch, it's just a GameBoy Advance grown up.  Some people don't see this as an issue, I do.  It didn't need to be included.  For the longest time the dock by itself was $80, iirc, it's like $60 now.  There's $60 in savings, woo.  Smaller screen, all in one, lack of rumble, at the end of the day, that adds up to $100 or more in savings for the final product's MSRP.

Lack of motion controls.  Some games are basically required.  If you want to really have a chance at Splatoon 2, playing in any competitive sense (read, actually be able to be somewhat decent) you need motion controls.  They're gone with this. They help in some shrines even in BoTW, and some other games also benefit from them.  I think it was a major oversight to get rid of them.

No ambient brightness.  I don’t know how much of an impact battery life takes with this feature, but since it’s strictly probably, I’m going to assume you aren’t staying stationary 24/7 with the Switch Lite.  Makes no sense to remove it.  One shouldn’t have to stop the game they’re playing to quickly adjust brightness if they’re outside or inside.  

Lack of a kickstand.  You're not going to give the ability to dock, you're not going to include motion controls.  But we can buy your $70 pro controller and use that!  Cool!  But no kickstand built in.  The kickstand should have been built in.  If you're going to limit us to portable only, and to make up for some of the short-comings, we have to buy accessories, such as controllers, it should have had a kickstand so we could more comfortably use the pro controller while playing our Switch Lites (or whatever other controllers you wanted to use).

All in all, it's a cheaper Switch.  That's fine.

We can have a lesser product as a result, that's also fine.
But we shouldn't accept what, in my opinion, is too much of a lesser product, for lack of a better term.

EDIT:  So I was wrong about the motion controls, but that spot instead has been taken by lack of ambient brightness.  Lack of ambient brightness on a purely mobile device in 2019 makes zero sense to me.

I’ve edited my post accordingly.

78D0FF02-F97F-46D8-AEA8-2B82B8598D2C.jpeg.a74131d469c5e235bf9c4fee20779b59.jpeg

Edited by kaiju_wars

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

Just now, Drak3 said:

So, are you going to make an actual counter argument?

Are you? 

People asked for a more portable device? Check.

People asked for non-detachable joycons? Check. 

People want a less expensive Switch? Check. 

It looks like capitalism at work to me.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, ARikozuM said:

Are you? 

People asked for a more portable device? Check.

People asked for non-detachable joycons? Check. 

People want a less expensive Switch? Check. 

It looks like capitalism at work to me.

So no, you're not going to make an actual counter argument. You're just going to deflect.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

So no, you're not going to make an actual counter argument. You're just going to deflect.

All of your replies in this thread are ineffective non-arguments. You're complaining about something that isn't for you by saying "bad design". 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

6 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

Lack of motion controls

Been reading that it does have gyro.

Just now, ARikozuM said:

You're complaining about something that isn't for you by saying "bad design".

The ergonomics of the joycons (lack thereof) is a very common complaint of Switch owners, as well as a lack of decent alternatives without resorting to modding or adapters.

The design is so bad that there is a viable market for wired and wireless adapters that allow people to use Dualshock and Xinput controllers.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

8 minutes ago, Nowak said:

I read there won’t be (coulda sworn the advertisement also said no motion controls, unless I misheard)

Just now, kaiju_wars said:

I read there won’t be (coulda sworn the advertisement also said no motion controls, unless I misheard)

I guess we'll find out when it releases in September?

2 minutes ago, Nowak said:

I guess we'll find out when it releases in September?

Guess so.  I won't be as disappointed if it ends up including the motion controls, but overall I'd still be disappointed in it.

Just now, kaiju_wars said:

Guess so.  I won't be as disappointed if it ends up including the motion controls, but overall I'd still be disappointed in it.

Considering how they're advertising it with BotW, which requires gyro for a number of shrine puzzles, I think they'll include motion controls in it.

@kaiju_wars @Nowak 

I would find it strange that it would have no gyro if they advertise it alongside BoTW... I played the game mostly off the dock solely because the tilt controls felt better for arrows. 

Similar to the "no hd rumble", it doesn't mean no rumble but it does mean it's gonna be inferior *if it's there.

3600X @ stocke | 5600XT TUF OC @ 1850 | 2x16 + 2x8 RAM 3200 HD | 1tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Lian Li 205M | TT Toughpower Grand RGB 850 | throwaway b450 asus mobo | BQ cooler

50 minutes ago, ONOTech said:

Yeah I'm not a big fan of this. If it was cheaper, sure - but $100 isn't worth the compromises in my opinion. It's essentially a DS now, but for Switch games.

Personally - I would spend $199 for a home version of the switch that's not UN-dockable. Slash this Switch Lite by $50 to $149 MSRP, and then I think you have a killer Switch family line-up.

That would be more interesting to see. You could have a more traditional console experience (and maybe you can even target slightly better performance through higher clocks and beefier active cooling.) 

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

12 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

The ergonomics of the joycons (lack thereof) is a very common complaint of Switch owners, as well as a lack of decent alternatives without resorting to modding or adapters.

I can agree with the ergonomics issue, but the replacement shells aren't expensive and does open up a nice third-party market that Nintendo should make first-party controllers for just so that we get molded-inner cases for the more ergo joycons. 

12 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

The design is so bad that there is a viable market for wired and wireless adapters that allow people to use Dualshock and Xinput controllers.

That means there's a population that wants something and is getting something to fix it. Would you rather Nintendo block the ability to use Xinput/DS? 'Cuz that's what companies do. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

That means there's a population that wants something and is getting something to fix it.

That means that there is a design flaw and third party companies are trying to fix it because Nintendo won't.

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

but the replacement shells aren't expensive and does open up a nice third-party market that Nintendo should make first-party controllers for just so that we get molded-inner cases for the more ergo joycons. 

The common user shouldn't have to fix bad design. Especially for a "kid's console."

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Looking at it, for 100USD less I suppose it's ok. I mean I hope at the least that they ditch the plastic screen. I mean come on, smartphones 1/5th of the price use glass instead of plastic for the screen. I might consider buying one though, never really tried any nintendo handheld. Also does anyone know how well homebrew works on the switch if it does at all?

looks pretty close to the PSP now, i might really consider it for Monster Hunter purpose

9 hours ago, TacoSenpai said:

I think thats really what this is about.  Less about having a 'lower end Switch' and more about putting the 3DS out to pasture. 

Yep.  That what I see.

Plus, this mostly being aimed for kids.  I view this Lite model like I view the 2DS.  A cheaper model that may get parents more willing to pick one up for their kids. 

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

40 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Yep.  That what I see.

Plus, this mostly being aimed for kids.  I view this Lite model like I view the 2DS.  A cheaper model that may get parents more willing to pick one up for their kids. 

Most of my college-age friends have been hoping for something like this for months... Although I'm personally not sold quite yet, I can attest that it's not just appealing to kids.

3600X @ stocke | 5600XT TUF OC @ 1850 | 2x16 + 2x8 RAM 3200 HD | 1tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Lian Li 205M | TT Toughpower Grand RGB 850 | throwaway b450 asus mobo | BQ cooler

45 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

Yep.  That what I see.

IDK, the 2DS felt like such a gimped 3DS, while this looks like a premium product. No docking, no motion controls, but $200 for a handheld this good is a deal. Especially considering New 3DS XL were going for $175 last Christmas in their swan song.

2 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

All in all, it's a cheaper Switch.  That's fine.

We can have a lesser product as a result, that's also fine.
But we shouldn't accept what, in my opinion, is too much of a lesser product, for lack of a better term.

The thing that really gets to me about this is that to hit a lower price point, they basically removed most of what made a Switch......a Switch.

Maybe that’s what some people want but given that a standard Switch with the dock and all the Switch features can be had for not much more, the value proposition of the Lite is less rosy to me. The Switch itself is rather underpowered but people got them due to its game library and unique form factor. Take the latter and you still have the game library, but you’re also left with “just another handheld gaming device”. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

4 hours ago, Nowak said:

3 hours ago, Crossbred said:

@kaiju_wars @Nowak 

I would find it strange that it would have no gyro if they advertise it alongside BoTW... I played the game mostly off the dock solely because the tilt controls felt better for arrows. 

Similar to the "no hd rumble", it doesn't mean no rumble but it does mean it's gonna be inferior *if it's there.

Ends up I was incorrect on lack of motion controls, I updated my post already.A0BB1FE9-BA9B-4297-9D3A-A568D0FDB80A.jpeg.3c57141dca80af4a92bea84e0e11877b.jpeg

1 hour ago, D13H4RD said:

The thing that really gets to me about this is that to hit a lower price point, they basically removed most of what made a Switch......a Switch.

Maybe that’s what some people want but given that a standard Switch with the dock and all the Switch features can be had for not much more, the value proposition of the Lite is less rosy to me. The Switch itself is rather underpowered but people got them due to its game library and unique form factor. Take the latter and you still have the game library, but you’re also left with “just another handheld gaming device”. 

Honestly, I was expecting a cut down Switch... I wasn’t expecting it to be this cut down.  I think defending it at this point isn’t right.  But that’s my personal opinion on the matter.

4 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

Ends up I was incorrect on lack of motion controls, I updated my post already.

-snip-

Yeah, I figured. They wouldn't advertise gyro-heavy games if it didn't have gyro.

Apparently the lack of HD Rumble and smaller screen allows for the slightly better battery life? So some tradeoffs were necessary to make it a better portable experience.

I myself will pass as I already own a Switch but I wonder if my sister would be interested. She's still on the 3DS and Wii. Zelda and Pokémon, mostly.

1 minute ago, Nowak said:

Yeah, I figured. They wouldn't advertise gyro-heavy games if it didn't have gyro.

Apparently the lack of HD Rumble and smaller screen allows for the slightly better battery life? So some tradeoffs were necessary to make it a better portable experience.

I myself will pass as I already own a Switch but I wonder if my sister would be interested. She's still on the 3DS and Wii. Zelda and Pokémon, mostly.

Eh, for not much more you can get the full switch.  I’d honestly say hard pass on the Lite