1-2 Switch Switch - Nintendo Releases reasonably priced Nintendo Switch Lite

rcmaehl
1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

Just because it will sell like hotcakes no matter what, does not mean you can just invalidate factual points raised by people who do not share your opinion...

To only listen to some nonexistent entity on this forum who happens to be as "wildly successful" as a company, is just bad excuse for refusing to discuss with facts and reason like anyone else normally would.

I guess people who don't agree with what Ea/Activision/Blizzard wants us to do, must be pretty dumb huh?

But he doesn't have factual points.  He has an opinion unsupported by evidence.  Calling the Switch a "worse" console isn't a representation of fact.  Calling it a "joke" certainly isn't, either.  However, I do have facts: the Switch has numerous great games.  It's well-reviewed.  And while the pricing isn't as big a bargain as it was in 2017, it's still competitively priced considering what it does.

This isn't a blind appeal to authority; I wouldn't praise everything major game publishers do.  I'm pointing to Nintendo's success because its fortunes clearly rise or fall depending on the appeal of its systems.  The Wii U was a mess, but the Switch clearly resonated with the public.  It's obviously doing something right.  Calling a system a "joke" when it's both critically praised and popular isn't a wise challenge to conventional wisdom -- it suggests you're not very wise.

Wait.

So it's a Switch......that doesn't actually do Switch things?

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

3 hours ago, Zeddex said:

yep, just saying im not a big fan of the look

That's how you know you've gotten old. 

?

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

3 hours ago, Drak3 said:

And?

Again, and?

The Switch itself is an inferior offering as a home console, physical design is worse than a stock Vita. Nintendo made too many compromises, and the only up side to this piece of shit is that it's portable.

You realize that they're not actually competing with the Xbox and Playstation, right? They look at MS and Sony and go "You know what? We'll do our own thing." It seems to be working for them as a lot of people that have an Xbox or a Playstation ALSO have a Switch.

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

5 minutes ago, GilmourD said:

You realize that they're not actually competing with the Xbox and Playstation, right? They look at MS and Sony and go "You know what? We'll do our own thing." It seems to be working for them as a lot of people that have an Xbox or a Playstation ALSO have a Switch.

Not yet anyway.  I have no idea what Microsoft's and Sony's plans are aside from possibly game streaming and their next consoles but I would be surprised if neither of them haven't taken notice of Nintendo's success especially Sony being based in Japan and their highly mobile lifestyle.  That being said taking on Nintendo in the handheld gaming world is not easy most if not all people who have tried have failed the one exception being the first PSP which sold decently but still short of the DS.

6 minutes ago, GilmourD said:

You realize that they're not actually competing with the Xbox and Playstation, right? 

Yes, they are. They take a different approach (and make a shit ton of bad compromises along the way) because they're not good enough to do otherwise.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, TacoSenpai said:

Not yet anyway.  I have no idea what Microsoft's and Sony's plans are aside from possibly game streaming and their next consoles but I would be surprised if neither of them haven't taken notice of Nintendo's success especially Sony being based in Japan and their highly mobile lifestyle.  That being said taking on Nintendo in the handheld gaming world is not easy most if not all people who have tried have failed the one exception being the first PSP which sold decently but still short of the DS.

I honestly think they're two different worlds that just happen to kinda look the same up close. Get a little distance from them and look at the market that each occupies and you'll realize that Nintendo's kinda got its own world while MS and Sony are fighting for the same world. Like you said, I don't think MS and Sony really have what it takes to take on Nintendo in the portable market and Nintendo's consoles aren't going for the same users as MS and Sony.

19 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

Mmmmmhhhh... No

It is semi decent, if you only ever use game cube controllers with it, on a TV.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Yes, they are. They take a different approach (and make a shit ton of bad compromises along the way) because they're not good enough to do otherwise.

OK, so my 9-year-old son and you are in the same market for the same games?

Just because all these devices have buttons and screens doesn't mean they actually occupy the same market. 

For real though, all I want is a beefier system.

I don't want a glass display because whilst it's better for scratch resistance, it's more brittle. And I don't want even a magnesium alloy chassis because it wouldn't be practical especially for a device whose main selling point is the ability to take it anywhere.

Higher-res display, much beefier internals, maybe even a special trick here and there. I'm perfectly aware that it does just fine the way it is, but me personally, I want a bit more out of it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

4 minutes ago, GilmourD said:

I honestly think they're two different worlds that just happen to kinda look the same up close. Get a little distance from them and look at the market that each occupies and you'll realize that Nintendo's kinda got its own world while MS and Sony are fighting for the same world. Like you said, I don't think MS and Sony really have what it takes to take on Nintendo in the portable market and Nintendo's consoles aren't going for the same users as MS and Sony.

Agreed to an extent.  All I'm saying is make alot of money somewhere with good ideas and they are likely to be emulated by people wanting the same success.  I can remember reading about how Nintendo was dominant with the NES then had Sega to compete fiercely with and then Sony (partly due to Nintendo's own mistakes and hubris) completely destroyed them with the PS1 and PS2 even though the N64 and GCN were good consoles in their own right.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

It is semi decent, if you only ever use game cube controllers with it, on a TV.

More interested in it as a portable console, don't really care about plugging it to a TV since it would mostly live in my work luggage

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

4 minutes ago, GilmourD said:

OK, so my 9-year-old son and you are in the same market for the same games?

Just because all these devices have buttons and screens doesn't mean they actually occupy the same market. 

Partially

The Switch has its own audience but it also has games that are available on the other 2 main consoles. Many people who buy the Switch use it as a secondary or tertiary machine, mainly for travel purposes, and usually to play Nintendo exclusives.

1 minute ago, GilmourD said:

I don't think MS and Sony really have what it takes to take on Nintendo in the portable market

Sony's PSP sure scared the fuck out of Nintendo, forcing them to release the NDS 2 years ahead of time, and thereby killing the GBA barely 3 years into it's life cycle. All that while I still remembered that the original Game Boy had a life cycle of a decade and was hoping the same would apply to the GBA, since it was awesome.

With the Vita Sony just shot itself in the foot. The proprietary and heavily overpriced memory cards effectively killed the thing.

30 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Financially, sure, for now they are.

Doesn't make the Switch any less of a joke than it is.

Jesus christ, my man who pissed in your Wheaties? If you don't prefer the switch over other consoles then that's fine but you seem incredibly into rage-jerking about it. The switch offers enough different to actually warrant it as one of the better consoles of the generation, if you ask me. In fact its the only console i've owned since the original xbox because its offers enough extra vs a my pc that can do everything a static plug into a tv system console (xbox1 and ps4) could ever do. Mobile games, in an ok build quality unit that costs less than a mid range GPU. I honestly don't see what's not to like. Could they offer a higher quality and slightly more powerful unit at a higher price? yah, but as its been put out there already on this post thats not a very large demographic and likely doesn't make a ton of business sense to do. As you mentioned yourself the VITA was a better quality system but we see how far that little thing got. Clearly Nintendo seems to be doing something right, despite your odd rage twards the whole thing.

Its a unique system, and as mentioned previously it will likely sell like hot cakes because even if the quality is slightly less the price is right and if you dont understand that then there's no helping you ?‍♂️

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

Looks like a DS to DS lite situation going on here :P

I’ve never had a Switch so I’ll likely be considering this in the future! Portability is the main reason you’d get one and the loss of the other features don’t really bother me - more battery life is a plus too! :D 

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

MacBook Pro 13" (2018) | ThinkPad x230 | iPad Air 2     

~(˘▾˘~)   (~˘▾˘)~

1 minute ago, Bramimond said:

With the Vita Sony just shot itself in the foot. The proprietary and heavily overpriced memory cards effectively killed the thing.

It was more than that. Way more.

The Vita was launched at a time where the mobile gaming market was beginning to shift. Couple with the lack of "MUST HAVE" games on the system, console ports just being plain bad alongside the aforementioned overpriced memory cards amongst other things and the Vita was already set to fail. Especially since Sony themselves pretended that the Vita never existed when they saw that the Vita would never be as closely successful as the PSP was.

Ironically, what kept the Vita on life support were all the Japanese games.

7 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

More interested in it as a portable console, don't really care about plugging it to a TV since it would mostly live in my work luggage

Not worth it, the 3DS is far more worth while.

Basically, take everything that makes the Switch a Switch, and throw it put the Window. Then it becomes semi decent.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Basically, take everything that makes the Switch a Switch, and throw it put the Window. Then it becomes semi decent.

Already have a 3DS, been what I've been caring around till now. Wanted the Switch so I can play Warframe and Diablo mostly (cause work laptop has shite dgpu and for some reason customs in Russia and complain to much if you carry more than one laptop). But those bezels are just an eyesore and an instant nope to me.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

It looks like a great product. Pretty nice to see such a high quality handheld launch at $200. Nintendo absolutely needed this to get a hold of the cheaper handheld market for kids now that 3DS is dead. I'm not the target market, I personally think the $100 extra for TV out and detachable joycons is worth spending. But if I was a parent the cheaper more portable and probably more durable system is the one I'd buy for my kid.

I feel like you get a lot for $200 though. Especially when New 3DS XL was a $175 system last Christmas and this is a far superior piece of hardware with a really strong game library.

I'm sticking with my CFW 3DS XL, not that I use that much anyway

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

27 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Or take a 3ds and fix all its major issues and you get a switch.

- Remove the fairly useless 2nd screen and instead get a single decent quality in a larger size

- get rid of the odd nubs and add actual (if not a little small) analog sticks

- get rid of the silly 3d gimmick and instead finally get more graphical horsepower so things actually look decent

- ditch the proprietary charging port and put in a usb-c

- ditch the shitty solo speaker and put in a couple of speakers that can actually make sound.

- ditch the shitty "touch" feature that almost always requires the pen to be any sort of useful and put in a actually touchscreen that accurately works.

Oh, and with this new lite version it only costs 25 more dollars than the newest 3ds did on launch.

EDIT: and as for portability if you think the 3dsxl is more portable than a switch you're insane. Its in no way comfortable in any pocket and once you put it in any sort of bag you could fit the switch in that bag just as easily. As for the non XL version its slightly better but still weighs at least double any large smart phone and is arguably still far to thick too fit in any pocket comfortably.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

4 hours ago, Zeddex said:

looks even more like a kids toy now. 

All consoles are kids toys

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

4 hours ago, Drak3 said:

So, they managed to make the Switch worse.

Bravo.

Consider: Kids who aren't big enough to hold the regular size Switch.

Also as far as "compromise" goes, this seems to have a bigger battery than the regular size Switch (advertised battery life with BotW is 4 hours, compared to 3 hours for the regular Switch), so... quit your whining that Nintendo isn't catering to you specifically.

19 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

All consoles are kids toys

Not all of them