Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RockandGrohl

Think my Thermal Paste was too old and dry... Idle temps for Ryzen 3600 high?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi all, just changed to Ryzen 3600 from i5 2500K (I know, upgrade of the century) and idle clocks are sometimes 4,000MHz which leads me to believe it's NOT a temperature issue, but in case it is, my idle CPU temp seems to be high 40 to 50c. 

I'm running a stock Ryzen 3600 with a Noctua U12P-SE2 cooler in push/pull config, with a 140mm fan above and a 120mm fan pulling air out the back. Good airflow in the case.

It's on an Asus Prime X370 Pro motherboard where the Q-fan is set up to be quiet, but still good airflow (anyone should know Noctua fans produce good airflow at 800RPM) - this is roughly in line with where I was on the 2500K in terms of fanspeed.  

Despite this, my temps are worryingly high for idle. The Thermal Paste I used was pretty dry, I applied a couple dabs of the drier Noctua stuff then found some Arctic Silver which was still runny and applied that, so the total amount of paste is correct but half was dry and half was wet.. Kinda thinking once heat and pressure are applied the dry stuff will kind of mellow out and be fine.  

So right now I'm torn - I've heard older AMD boards have some kind of Energy management set up for Ryzen 1XXX series, which results in 2XXX and 3XXX running at higher clocks while idle. Is that the case? I'll have to check the BIOS when I get in, just wanted to check what idle temps I should be seeing with a high-end air cooler on a Ryzen 3600 at stock, thanks!

Just get new paste. Get a new tube of MX-4 for a cheaper paste or NT-H2(personal fave)

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play MTGA & watch anime at 720p...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee! The Cassette Deck!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I wouldnt worry too much about idle temps ( I mean if they get into the 60s-70s then yeah), but load temps matter more. My 2600x on a 120 mil aio sits around 45ish at idle but only gets to like 70ish in a stress test like prime95.

Gaming Rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x     Cooler: Corsair H60     RAM: G.Skill Tridentz RGB 16gb 3200mhz     Mobo: Asus B450-F Gaming

Graphics Card: Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8gb     Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark TG     PSU: Corsair RM850x     

Storage: 250gb Samsung 960 EVO, 2TB Seagate Barracuda

Streaming Rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600     Cooler: Noctua NH-L9a     RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16gb 3200mhz     Mobo: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro Wifi ITX

Graphics Card: Powercolor Red Dragon RX 570 4gb     Case: Fractal Design Node 202     PSU: Corsair SF600    

Storage: 120gb Kingston A400, 500gb Samsung 860 EVO

2 minutes ago, RockandGrohl said:

I'm worried because I'm on a £60 Noctua NH U12P-SE2 with a Corsair case with 1 intake and 2 exhausts and my temps are 45c idle, yet this review has the stock cooler in a Micro-ATX case at 33c...

https://www.techspot.com/review/1871-amd-ryzen-3600/

what are your temps under load?

Gaming Rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x     Cooler: Corsair H60     RAM: G.Skill Tridentz RGB 16gb 3200mhz     Mobo: Asus B450-F Gaming

Graphics Card: Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8gb     Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark TG     PSU: Corsair RM850x     

Storage: 250gb Samsung 960 EVO, 2TB Seagate Barracuda

Streaming Rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600     Cooler: Noctua NH-L9a     RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16gb 3200mhz     Mobo: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro Wifi ITX

Graphics Card: Powercolor Red Dragon RX 570 4gb     Case: Fractal Design Node 202     PSU: Corsair SF600    

Storage: 120gb Kingston A400, 500gb Samsung 860 EVO

I ended up in the same situation with my 3700x. Discovered that I had already used the last of my NT-H1 last year and ended up using some arctic silver that I got in 2014. Temps don't seem too bad (40-45 idle Tctl, 24 ambient), they are a bit higher than my 1600x that I had before ( stock TDP decrease but core increase). I also swapped the CPUs without moving my tower since I'm pretty busy with stressful stuff currently. It was pretty awkward to get my water block back on since I was at a weird angle and I made my soft tubing paths almost as short as possible.

I will probably get more NT-H1 and remount to see if temps improve when I can.

On 7/10/2019 at 4:23 AM, RockandGrohl said:

So right now I'm torn - I've heard older AMD boards have some kind of Energy management set up for Ryzen 1XXX series, which results in 2XXX and 3XXX running at higher clocks while idle. Is that the case? I'll have to check the BIOS when I get in, just wanted to check what idle temps I should be seeing with a high-end air cooler on a Ryzen 3600 at stock, thanks!

That is plausible from what I've seen on my X370 Taichi. First testing the CPU it would idle around or above 4Ghz. I installed the new X370 chipset drivers from AMD which provide the windows power plans. With the Ryzen balanced power plan it idles closer to 3-3.5 Ghz, with Ryzen power saver it idles 3.5-4 Ghz.

A bit off topic, I’m trying to get my Ryzen 3700x to work with the gigabyte x470 ultra gaming mobo. I properly got it to boot with a Ryzen 2600, installed win10 and updated the bios. But when I put in the 3700x my mobo ram led light lit up and I don’t know how to fix it. I thought you could help as you got yours to boot