X470/B450 for best compatibility untill Ryzen 4000?

Go to solution Solved by MadmanRB,

Well if you are on a budget go for the B450 Tomohawk, its not a bad board at all for the price point and the ability to flash the BIOS is quite a good selling point.

Assuming that AMD will continue to suppport AM4 untill R 4000/5000, what do you think would be a safer bet for the long term? A  higher tier B450 board (that may be discontinued by Ryzen 5000)

or a lower end X470 Board for the same price. I was considering the MSI B450 Tomohawk (for around $110 USD) but I would be interested in any X470 boards you all would consider 'goodish/moderate' for the same price point, as a starting point for my research. X570 seems off the table for now, considering that most of them start of at around $200- 250.Image result for zen 2 compatible motherboards

Thanks, AC.

Look for a motherboard in the linked list  that has at least 2 green check marks, ideally 3 or more : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

B450 boards should be enough. x470 boards will only add support for SLI  because of capability to split the x16 into 2 x 8 and possibly support a second m.2 connector, because the chipset creates 2 extra pci-e lanes compared to the B450 chipset.

B350 and x370 may support those processors but it will depend on how much BIOS support those new processors require... some of these 3xx series boards had tiny BIOS chips that can't fit all the code required to support so many series of processors, some even had to drop support for some of the first AM4 processors (the OEM ones based on pre-Zen architectures) in order to make room for Ryzen 2xxx processors.

Well if you are on a budget go for the B450 Tomohawk, its not a bad board at all for the price point and the ability to flash the BIOS is quite a good selling point.

the B450 Tomahawk actually has one of the better VRMs amongst 400 series board, even most of the X470 ones. I would take it over low end X470s in a heartbeat, if you're ok with the fact it uses Realtek NIC instead of Intel's