Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ScootsMcgoots

Do NVMe SSDs really need a heat sink?

Posted · Original PosterOP

After a bit of research and consulting my motherboard's manual, to my dismay the M.2 slot that actually supported  NVMe 1.3 speeds was the one covered by a heatsink screwed to the mobo. As I was installing the SSD I wondered if it even made a difference; the only reason I put the heat sink back on is the motherboard looks nicer with it on. I mean to be fair the slot is right below the CPU and right above where my gpu is, so I supposed it's subjected to a fair amount of heat but still...

CPU: i7 3770 ( Cooled by H60)  GPU: GTX 970 STRIX  RAM16gb Hyperx fury 1600mhz ( 8GBx2)  MOBO: Asus P8Z77M  PSU: Corsair AX 760 Case: Corsair 350D    Storage: Kingston 240gb 3k SSD,  4 TB WD Red , 1TB segate HDD     Mouse: Logitech G pro Keyboard:Logitech G pro    Headphones: Sennheiser HD598 SE  DAC/AMP: Fiio EK10 Microphone: Blue Yeti

Yes and no. When the Samsung 950 Pro came out, it was found you could cause it to thermal throttle, but it would only get to that condition if you were constantly working it. I wouldn't put it past subsequent high performance NVMe SSDs to have a similar issue.

Not necessarily required (on models I’ve seen) but it does prevent a lot of heat from collecting in/on the drive itself. Basic rule with computers is that less heat equals longer life for hardware.

Also, thermal throttling is something to consider.

Definitely recommended, especially if you actually use it like it's meant to be used.

My sound system costs more than my PC.        Check out my S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Intel i7 4790k | ASUS GTX770 | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB | NZXT S340 | Seasonic Platinum 760 | modded H100i | Ducky ONE White TKL RGB | Logitech MX Master 2S | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | WD Red 4TB Samsung 58" 4k TV | 2x Behringer NEKKST K8 | BIC Acoustech H-100II | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

15 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Yes and no. When the Samsung 950 Pro came out, it was found you could cause it to thermal throttle, but it would only get to that condition if you were constantly working it. I wouldn't put it past subsequent high performance NVMe SSDs to have a similar issue.

I just browse the web, game, edit photos in Photoshop and write /compile code on my PC, I'd imagine none of those are intensive applications regarding storage. 

CPU: i7 3770 ( Cooled by H60)  GPU: GTX 970 STRIX  RAM16gb Hyperx fury 1600mhz ( 8GBx2)  MOBO: Asus P8Z77M  PSU: Corsair AX 760 Case: Corsair 350D    Storage: Kingston 240gb 3k SSD,  4 TB WD Red , 1TB segate HDD     Mouse: Logitech G pro Keyboard:Logitech G pro    Headphones: Sennheiser HD598 SE  DAC/AMP: Fiio EK10 Microphone: Blue Yeti

Just now, ScootsMcgoots said:

I just browse the web, game, edit photos in Photoshop and write /compile code on my PC, I'd imagine none of those are intensive applications regarding storage. 

Yeah, you're not in the use case that would really hammer an NVMe drive to the point of needing thermal management.

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Definitely recommended, especially if you actually use it like it's meant to be used.

idk if I'm using it as "intended" lol, I just got it since 1tb for 140 USD (and being an actually nvme drive) wasn't bad at all, plus at my college we've found tensor flow projects run significant faster on better storage, which I would benefit from.

2 minutes ago, ScootsMcgoots said:

idk if I'm using it as "intended" lol, I just got it since 1tb for 140 USD (and being an actually nvme drive) wasn't bad at all, plus at my college we've found tensor flow projects run significant faster on better storage, which I would benefit from.

Well if you're using the drive at its full speed for more than a few minutes at a time, you should definitely put heatsinks on it.

My sound system costs more than my PC.        Check out my S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Intel i7 4790k | ASUS GTX770 | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB | NZXT S340 | Seasonic Platinum 760 | modded H100i | Ducky ONE White TKL RGB | Logitech MX Master 2S | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | WD Red 4TB Samsung 58" 4k TV | 2x Behringer NEKKST K8 | BIC Acoustech H-100II | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Mine doesn’t, it’s in a good airflow spot and I don’t think it works too hard. It sits under 60.

Its my boot drive but not much else on it.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Well if you're using the drive at its full speed for more than a few minutes at a time, you should definitely put heatsinks on it.

Now that you mention it I've never measured what the drive actually reads/writes at when I'm running machine learning stuff praying I'm training it right lol. As I mentioned I put the heatsink back on as it looked more aesthetically pleasing. Also I swear heavy IDEs like Android studio or eclipse boot up and also load up workspaces wayyy faster, maybe cause of the superior random read/write speeds?

5 minutes ago, ScootsMcgoots said:

Also I swear heavy IDEs like Android studio or eclipse boot up and also load up workspaces wayyy faster, maybe cause of the superior random read/write speeds?

Yes, that's one of the benefits of NVME ssds.

Optane is even better than anything samsung makes.

Spoiler

Something to consider, if the ambiance temp is kinda low.....

Nvme drives works better at a little worm temp 30~40c 

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU:Corsair CS 650 M Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

So I heard that the NAND chips benefit from heat, however the controller will throttle if it's too hot, does anybody have some numbers on that matter? I think even one of the recent LTT videos mentioned this.

On 7/10/2019 at 1:59 AM, Enderman said:

Yes, that's one of the benefits of NVME ssds.

Optane is even better than anything samsung makes.

Funny thing I noticed; while playing games where the CPU and GPU radiate a ton of heat, according to crystaldisk info the NVMe ssd is the coolest of all of my drives (the rest are SATA), about 5-6 c cooler than the rest. Either the SSD cooler is a pretty decent heat dissipater, or a decent heat shield lol.

2 minutes ago, ScootsMcgoots said:

Funny thing I noticed; while playing games where the CPU and GPU radiate a ton of heat, according to crystaldisk info the NVMe ssd is the coolest of all of my drives (the rest are SATA), about 5-6 c cooler than the rest. Either the SSD cooler is a pretty decent heat dissipater, or a decent heat shield lol.

Playing games barely uses an NVME SSD.

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Playing games barely uses an NVME SSD.

I'm not attributing the heat to any drive's usage; the C drive (the nvme ssd) would've been literally the only drive getting used at that moment. The SSD that was significantly hotter is empty with no files on it whatsoever.  I was just saying the heat sink might shield it from the heat being outputted by the CPU and GPU.