Intel Comet Lake-S Platform Overview / Desktop Platform Consumer Roadmap (Updated)

3 hours ago, CTR640 said:

there is zero Intel CPU with only physical cores.

traditionally, every CPU outisde of the i3, i7, and pentium had no hyperthreading.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I think the question I want to ask is: Why didn't Intel release these multi-core with hyper-threading chips sooner? It's like as soon as AMD showed signs of life with the Ryzen 2000 and now Ryzen 3000, Intel is saying "OK! Time to put more cores on our chips!" and then they flipped a switch and did it. Don't they have to prep their fabs or however CPU production works?

That or Intel has been preparing for a while and has decided now is the time to start leaking things out.

Intel Core i5-10600KF @ 4.9Ghz @ 1.25V

MSI Z490 Gaming Edge Wi-Fi BIOS v17

XPG D50 32GB DDR4-3200 16-19-9-36 2T (Samsung M-Die)

XPG S11 Pro 1TB and Western Digital WD140EDFZ 14TB

ASUS TUF RTX 3070 OC

Corsair RM650x

Phantek P360A with Noctua Exhaust Fans

7 hours ago, geokilla said:
I think the question I want to ask is: Why didn't Intel release these multi-core with hyper-threading chips sooner? It's like as soon as AMD showed signs of life with the Ryzen 2000 and now Ryzen 3000, Intel is saying "OK! Time to put more cores on our chips!" and then they flipped a switch and did it. Don't they have to prep their fabs or however CPU production works?

That or Intel has been preparing for a while and has decided now is the time to start leaking things out.

I think if Intel were prepared earlier they wouldn't have released that internal memo reminding everyone that they are not in the clear and that they have to produce some exceptional product going forward, and two they would have responded to the top end product more aggressively, especially the data centre market. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I doubt these names will go forward for the final product. They sound ridic. How would you even say them?

My Rigs | CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X | Motherboard: ASRock X570 Taichi | CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 | GPU: AMD Radeon Powercolor 7800XT Hellhound | RAM: 32GB of G.Skill Trident Z Neo @3600MHz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W G+ | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C TG | SSDs: WD BLACK SN850X 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | SSHD: Seagate FireCuda 2TB (Backup) | HDD: Seagate IronWolf 4TB (Backup of Other PCs) | Capture Card: AVerMedia Live Gamer HD 2 | Monitors: AOC G2590PX & Acer XV272U Pbmiiprzx | UPS: APC BR1500GI Back-UPS Pro | Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Chroma V2 | Mouse: Razer Naga Pro | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

First System: Dell Dimension E521 with AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+, 3GB DDR2 RAM

PSU Tier List          AMD Motherboard Tier List          SSD Tier List

An addition to this thread: 

hIBFF70QZaWvL3Ml.jpg.330165bcd893458e360888bea0aa3cab.jpg

Gouh8r91rj9vR7FV.jpg.61267df7cf0d8bbda22062f485f28986.jpg

mcAZaaVQu0pFUaov.thumb.jpg.2770bce6f48d3ad618381fd5c750231a.jpg

According to slides leaked to the web by Hong Kong-based tech publication XFastest, "Comet Lake" isn't Intel's short-term reaction to "Zen 2," but rather all it has left to launch. These processors won't launch before 2020, the slide suggests, meaning that AMD will enjoy a free rein over the processor market until the turn of the year, including the all-important Holday shopping season. 

More importantly, the slide suggests that "Comet Lake" will have a market presence spanning Q1 and Q2 2020, meaning that the 10 nm "Ice Lake" won't arrive on the desktop platform until at least Q3 2020. It's likely that the LGA1200 platform which debuts with "Comet Lake" will extend to "Ice Lake," so consumers aren't forced to buy a new motherboard within a span of six months. The platform diagram put out in another slide junks the idea of an on-package MCM of the processor and PCH dies (which was likely ripped off from the "Ice Lake-Y" MCM platform diagram).

The new platform combines a "Comet Lake" processor with an Intel 400-series PCH, which talk to each other over DMI 3.0, which offers comparable bandwidth PCI-Express 3.0 x4. The AMD "Valhalla" platform implements PCI-Express 4.0 x4 between the SoC and X570 chipset. The platform's main PCI-Express x16 slot will remain gen 3.0. With its "Skylake" core IPC within 5% of that of "Zen 2," and gaming performance leadership still held onto by a hair's breadth, Intel will focus on bolstering multi-thread performance by enabling HyperThreading on even its Core i5 and Core i3 desktop processor models, while providing more cores to the Dollar compared to its 9th generation "Coffee Lake Refresh." 

The Core i3 series will be 4-core/8-thread, the Core i5 series 6-core/12-thread, the Core i7 series 8-core/16-thread, and the flagship Core i9 series 10-core/20-thread. Intel will leverage its refined 14 nm node to increase clock-speeds across the board, with its 10-core silicon having a TDP rating of 125 W, and not the 105 W we saw the other day. The Gen 9.5 iGPU on the 4/6/8-core models will be bolstered with more features via software, and be branded under the UHD 700-series.

With its mainstream desktop platform embattled, Intel will try to appease the PC enthusiast crowd by launching a new HEDT (high-end desktop) platform based on "Cascade Lake," codenamed "Glacial Falls," by Q4-2019. The new 14 nm "Cascade Lake-X" processor will be compatible with existing X299 chipset motherboards via a BIOS update, offer CPU core-counts of up to 18, TDP of up to 165 W, and increased performance via higher clock-speeds.

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/257283/intel-comet-lake-not-before-2020-ice-lake-s-not-before-q3-2020-roadmap-suggests

10 core monolithic Intel die for $499? Yeah not buying it. 

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

@BiG StroOnZ good find. That's the real information we've seen in rumors for a while now. Still might be Z490 launch in Q4, but Intel probably isn't in any rush to bring out 10c parts. (Binning has to be even worse for them.)

More platform lanes is interesting, but also a good move from Intel.

2 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

Heh, 125 watt TDP. That's hilarious.

Depends on how much processing it does to produce that.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

If this is real and still doesn't launch until 2020, I imagine it'll be largely dead in the water. Zen 3 appears to be on track for next year also, and with 7nm still being so early I would have to imagine that even a small refinement for Ryzen 4000 would yield slightly higher clocks, likely with an easy potential for a price drop as yields improve. Considering that Ryzen 3 already have a core advantage versus these leaks, if they get even a tiny clock bump then Comet Lake is DOA (relatively speaking). 

Still, good to see competition being competitive (assuming any of this is real).

Having just bought into Ryzen 3 this leak doesn't do much to make feel bad about it. Sure the 10 core at $500 would likely be slightly faster in games than the 3900x I got coming, but on the other hand 2 less cores for multi-threaded workloads and no pcie4 in that leak, so no 5 gb/s SSD like I have coming alongside that 3900x. 

If that leak is true I think Intel will be competitive and a good option, but not a better option. Like AMD and Nvidia at the upper mid range right now.

Damn, Intel has sat on their asses for far too long. Comet lake if the leaks are accurate is still behind feature wise.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

12 hours ago, ravenshrike said:

Heh, 125 watt TDP. That's hilarious.

The issue with Intel's TDP is that they may just as well not write anything at all because it's just a meaningless number. I mean, what's the point of TDP when they measure it at base clock? Something none of their CPU's ever run at unless thermally constrained which we basically only see on laptops. So, what's the point? AMD's TDP at least makes sense. 105W when boosting is what people want to know as that's typical load maximum. If it runs eating 50W at base clock, ok, but at least you know its normal max which is most important. With Intel, it can be 125W or it may as well be 350W when boosting. That's like advertising car gas consumption by measuring it at idle and not during typical driving. That's what Intel is doing, advertising idle consumption as operational one. Which is just dumb and useless as hell. Looks nice on paper when their parts have same TDP as AMD even though that's not actually the case.

14 hours ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

That is worrying for Intel because Comet Lake won't be taking on Zen2, it'll be taking on Zen3! Zen3 will eat Comet Lake for breakfast, because AMD will have prepared Zen3 as the Icelake 10nm competitor. Unless Intel have some huge IPC gains here on 14nm, they are in serious trouble in 2020. I'm not even going to think about the power consumption on Comet Lake.

If we imagine that AMD get another 10-15% IPC increase, alongside the decent gains with  7nm+ (Maybe 10% improvement in efficiency)...AMD will take the gaming crown. Intel are on the ropes against Zen2, but Zen3 will land the final blow next year.

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

The issue with Intel's TDP is that they may just as well not write anything at all because it's just a meaningless number. I mean, what's the point of TDP when they measure it at base clock? Something none of their CPU's ever run at unless thermally constrained which we basically only see on laptops. So, what's the point? AMD's TDP at least makes sense. 105W when boosting is what people want to know as that's typical load maximum. If it runs eating 50W at base clock, ok, but at least you know its normal max which is most important. With Intel, it can be 125W or it may as well be 350W when boosting. That's like advertising car gas consumption by measuring it at idle and not during typical driving. That's what Intel is doing, advertising idle consumption as operational one. Which is just dumb and useless as hell. Looks nice on paper when their parts have same TDP as AMD even though that's not actually the case.

"Looks at 120W during AVX 4790K"

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

With a potential 64-core Threadripper (and likely also 32 and 48 cores), Glacier Falls looks dead on arrival. 

On 7/11/2019 at 7:47 PM, Albal_156 said:

I doubt these names will go forward for the final product. They sound ridic. How would you even say them?

Ten-nine-KF, Ten-thirty-five-K. 

Honestly I'll take any product like that isn't a four digit number at this point. Even following this stuff closely it sometimes takes me a second to recall which brand someone is even talking about when they throw out an 8700 or a 2990. 

i9-10900KF

why is the ridiculously long SKU so funny?

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I remember when CPU's were such a simple decision. You choose a 2600K or 2700K if you wanted hyperthreading.

And if you needed more you pony'd up for a 3960X.

lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

6 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

i9-10900KF

why is the ridiculously long SKU so funny?

Better than i9 9900kfc

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

On 7/9/2019 at 6:47 PM, BiG StroOnZ said:

66560_02_inte499222.jpg.16264c2224fc4e4af5420304ea9e2ac2.jpgD-_R5fuUYAA0Ely.jpg.d5f81b7a4bc5933d4d045fd7be3a5ac3.jpg

yeah totally fake.

#1: It looks photoshopped.

#2: Intel's next line of iGPUs officially begins with a "9" not a "7".

#3: Upcoming generations of chips (including 10th Gen) will almost definitely be manufactured on the 10nm node (if not 7nm).

#3: Consumer core counts of 10 and above have only been seen in X-series processors and nobody at Intel would leak such info like this early.

On 7/10/2019 at 2:49 AM, comander said:

This rumor looks solid. I do think that there are too many options down the product stack from a simplicity perspective. 

With that said, Intel needs to get the pricing right for this to work. They have a modest edge in ST and lose in MT while consuming a ton more power. 

Gamers Nexus debunked in live stream today, as others have done.

It's just more rumors, like AMD's rumors that didn't pan out previously.  But fun to talk about in large threads.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

On 7/14/2019 at 2:29 AM, will4623 said:

Better than i9 9900kfc

Great. Now I'm hungry.

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀