Motherboard Fast / Ultra Fast Boot Options

Mine is disabled by default. Is there any drawback to enabling Fast / Ultra Fast boot? I'm really not sure why someone would object to shortening the boot time if there's no drawback? 

The only downside is that you won't be able to enter BIOS on startup. Once you boot into the OS, you can tell your system to enter BIOS on restart.

The benefit is only 1-2 seconds compared to having it off, so it's not a big deal either way.

3 minutes ago, badreg said:

The only downside is that you won't be able to enter BIOS on startup. Once you boot into the OS, you can tell your system to enter BIOS on restart.

The benefit is only 1-2 seconds compared to having it off, so it's not a big deal either way.

Lol, ok, I think I can live with 1-2 seconds longer on boot.

What happens if you ever lost your SSD boot when you have Fast / Ultrafast boot enabled? Since you cannot boot into Windows how would you ever tell your system to enter BIOS on restart? And where do you tell it to enter the BIOS on restart?

I guess at that point you'd have to reset the CMOS to boot into your BIOS. 

58 minutes ago, Vectraat said:

I guess at that point you'd have to reset the CMOS to boot into your BIOS

If there are no valid boot devices, BIOS will be entered automatically.

4 hours ago, badreg said:

There is also the potential downside of many security and stability testing features being disabled, depending on the motherboard. 

2 minutes ago, Polargirl said:

There is also the potential downside of many security and stability testing features being disabled, depending on the motherboard. 

I'm using a Z390 Aorus Elite Motherboard. 

51 minutes ago, Vectraat said:

I'm using a Z390 Aorus Elite Motherboard. 

Sorry I am too lazy to look up booting features for your specific motherboard. Z390 motherboards are top of the Intel mainstream line and are certain to have several security and stability features during boot up most of which you can either enable or disable in BIOS.

Like @badreg said, default will only take 1-2 seconds longer than fast boot. By all means, go into your BIOS and play around with these settings to see how fast you can boot. Sometimes a security feature needs to be disabled like when booting from a USB drive and some stability features like the obvious disk checks and even RAM POST tests can usually be bypassed.

12 hours ago, Polargirl said:

Sometimes a security feature needs to be disabled like when booting from a USB drive and some stability features like the obvious disk checks and even RAM POST tests can usually be bypassed.

Secure Boot can be enabled simultaneously with Fast Boot so there are no security issues.

Your system should already be stable before enabling Fast Boot. Skipping initialization of secondary drives and a rudimentary memory check during POST is not going to create instability if none exists. Likewise, passing these tests means nothing, even if something was indeed amiss.

12 hours ago, badreg said:

Secure Boot can be enabled simultaneously with Fast Boot so there are no security issues.

Your system should already be stable before enabling Fast Boot. Skipping initialization of secondary drives and a rudimentary memory check during POST is not going to create instability if none exists. Likewise, passing these tests means nothing, even if something was indeed amiss.

I don't think my machine even has a fast boot option but cannot secure boot from a USB. Don't know if simultaneous fast and secure boot is true of every computer that has both.  Not sure about the OP's compter either.

Sure, POST won't create an instability where none exists but it can sometimes fix them. Up to each user to determine whether or not it is worth that extra second or two of boot time.