Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
InfinityVive

Why are we still using Calculators?

Just now, InfinityVive said:

Casios are a robbery too, I spent 100 Dollars on something I don't want, but what I choice I have, Education Force...

https://www.amazon.com/Casio-fx-9750GII-Graphing-Calculator-White/dp/B00154GSQA/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=casio+graphing+calculator&qid=1562717949&s=office-electronics&sr=1-3

This is robbery?

What?

Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, TempestCatto said:

It certainly isn't imo either, however, it's what you can do with that little hardware. It's the software you pay for. Decades of research and development and these calculators can literally do things that most of us don't even know they can do. There's a reason that calculus classes require them.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, So we are not paying it's weaker than DX4 CPU hardware, We are just paying for it's software, Like how Pre-builts make you pay the price of the OS comes with it too?

1 minute ago, food158 said:

Quite a stretch. This is no robbery nor is it theft. You made the decision to buy the calculator. If you hate the Ti84 so much, don't buy it. Get a Casio.

Not that easy. Texas Instruments subsidized calculator purchases for entire school districts for years, kind of like how Apple subsidized computers to get themselves in front of the next generation. It worked for TI better than it worked for Apple, arguably, because education material is highly standardized around TI calculators, even written for them. "Use a Casio," sounds great in theory, but when the textbook is written for a TI-83 Plus and the teacher has been teaching on a TI-83 Plus for the last 20 years, that $50 Casio suddenly isn't such a bright investment.

Sabre - i7-8086K - MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X - AsRock Z370 Fatal1ty Gaming K6 - 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4-2400 - 250GB Western Digital Black M.2 NVMe PCIe 3.0x4 - 1TB Inland Professional SSD - 960GB SanDisk Ultra II - 4TB Seagate Barracuda - Corsair RM650i - Fractal Design Meshify C White TG - Noctua NH-C14S

Senketsu - Ryzen 5 1600 - MSI GTX 1050 Ti LP - Gigabyte B450 AORUS M - 16GB Corsair DDR4-3466 RGB - 256GB ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro - Silverstone SF450 - ABS R206-ITX (worst case ever) - Arctic Alpine AM4

Banzai - i7-6700T - Dell OEM GT 730 2GB DDR3 - Gigabyte GA-B150N Phoenix - 16GB HyperX Fury DDR4-2400 - 240GB Crucial M500 - Seasonic 300W Server PSU - HP Slimline s3200n chassis - Rosewill RCX-775-LP

Harvey Dent - Pentium G3258 - MSI GTX 750 Ti LP - ASUS H81M-C - 16GB Patriot Viper DDR3-1600 - 480GB SanDisk Ultra II SSD (Windows 10) - Vaseky 64GB mSATA SSD (Windows XP) - Corsair SF600 - Athenatech A100BB - Arctic Alpine 11 Plus

Also our school makes us get a Casio Graphing calculator, a Texas Instruments Graphing calculator, A simple Casio FX 991 simple calculators, Why three???!

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

Not that easy. Texas Instruments subsidized calculator purchases for entire school districts for years, kind of like how Apple subsidized computers to get themselves in front of the next generation. It worked for TI better than it worked for Apple, arguably, because education material is highly standardized around TI calculators, even written for them. "Use a Casio," sounds great in theory, but when the textbook is written for a TI-83 Plus and the teacher has been teaching on a TI-83 Plus for the last 20 years, that $50 Casio suddenly isn't such a bright investment.

The problem lies in that OP is very against the cost of using Ti calculators. If he's that concerned, buy a cheaper calculator and learn to use it since he cares so much. You will definitely not be in the good company of the teacher, but what can you do?

1 minute ago, InfinityVive said:

Also our school makes us get a Casio Graphing calculator, a Texas Instruments Graphing calculator, A simple Casio FX 991 simple calculators, Why three???!

Certain tests requires a different calculator. It is indeed weird that they're making you buy two graphing calculators with some functional overlap. As for the "simple" calculators, they probably want you to use weaker calculators on certain tests that more advanced calculators will let you cheat easier with.

5 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, So we are not paying it's weaker than DX4 CPU hardware, We are just paying for it's software, Like how Pre-builts make you pay the price of the OS comes with it too?

If you ask TI to put better hardware in a calculator, your calculator bulks up, physically, in size and the cost goes up further because of profit margins.

20 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Because Texas Instruments has made the entire education field its bitch.

5 minutes ago, food158 said:

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/robbery

I sincerely doubt that they're holding a gun to your head and demanding a Benjamin.

7 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

It certainly isn't imo either, however, it's what you can do with that little hardware. It's the software you pay for. Decades of research and development and these calculators can literally do things that most of us don't even know they can do. There's a reason that calculus classes require them.

8 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

And text book companies, and standardized testing companties, and any company related to controlling standards in a given industry, especially education

8 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Primarily to prevent cheating.

There's plenty of apps. There's at least a dozen that I bothered to glance at on Google's Play Store.

If you want something for your desktop: https://www.desmos.com/calculator

13 minutes ago, BuckGup said:

Because you need to be able to use the calculator during the exam. Most people don't have a clue about all the things even a TI84 let alone 83 can do. TI89 and up are in another league

Okay, so you are all saying that we Use calculators to prevent cheating because you can't save info on it, and can't access internet, and we buy them for bigger prices because most of the money for the software it comes with, And schools won't do that calculating programs on students' devices thing because it would take too much time and too much money, right?

13 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

Guess what, I just found out texas instruments' calculator specs, It's a 200 KiloHertz CPU, No RAM, 12 Byte Vram 20 Graphic processors 2 KiloHertz, Not worth 100 Dollars, that a robbery

Being weak in comparison to what we have now means literally fucking nothing. It's a calculator. It calculates shit. It doesn't need a SD850 to do that.

Main PC: sleeper Dell on profile boi

Laptop: Latitude E4310 w/ i5 580M, 8GB RAM, 120GB 840 EVO, Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 wireless card, Windows 7 Pro x64

Zeus: 2x 1266MHz PIII, Supermicro P3TDDE, 1x 512MB PC133 ECC, Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB, 30GB DiamondMax Plus 8 + 80GB IBM DeskStar, Windows XP Pro SP3

On 2/26/2019 at 2:37 AM, campy said:

when my girlfriend comes over and sees my dining room and kitchen counters covered in pc parts from pre 2006 she immediately takes off her clothes

nothing sexual, she just doesnt want the nerd dust on her clothes 

If you ask TI to put better hardware in a calculator, your calculator bulks up, physically, in size and the cost goes up further because of profit margins.

Not really, phones that are cheaper than that calculator and have smaller size got better hardware TBH.

20 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

I spent more than 100 Dollars on Calculator shit for my education, I am Feeling like it's not worth it when PCs or Mobile phones could do same operation.

Spoiler, you probably won't use it in college either. I think it mattered for like 2 classes out of... roughly 50 between undergrad and grad school. 

And it probably matters less now than it did 10 years ago.

5 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

Not really, phones that are cheaper than that calculator and have smaller size got better hardware TBH.

I don't think you understand what I said.

First consider what flibberdipper said about not needing fancy hardware in a calculator.

TI wants to make a huge profit, which is what they do. If you ask for better hardware in a calculator, they will drive up the prices because they want to keep the same profit margin. It probably costs them $20 dollars, maybe less, to make that Ti 84, but they charge $100 for it.

3 minutes ago, comander said:

Spoiler, you probably won't use it in college either. I think it mattered for like 2 classes out of... roughly 50 between undergrad and grad school. 

And it probably matters less now than it did 10 years ago.

download.png

download.jpg

you program it to.

How, Just how? How can it do 3D? the video maker mentioned that it's FPS with Path Tracing on is less than 0.000003, Took about 5 Hours to render one frame.

Just now, InfinityVive said:

How, Just how? How can it do 3D? the video maker mentioned that it's FPS with Path Tracing on is less than 0.000003, Took about 5 Hours to render one frame.

The calculators use a language called Ti Basic. There's a button on your calculator you press and it takes you to programming.

2 minutes ago, food158 said:

The calculators use a language called Ti Basic. There's a button on your calculator you press and it takes you to programming.

Oh okay. Thank you, I will go to sleep now, goodbye

Edit: imma Post one last thread before sleeping.

This

https://education.ti.com/en/products/calculators/graphing-calculators/ti-89-titanium

• About 188 K bytes of user-available RAM
  • \About 2.7 MB of user-available Flash ROM for data archive and apps
  • 100 x 160 pixel display
  • Internal clock with date and time display
  • USB port for computer connectivity, unit-to-unit communication with TI-89 Titanium graphing calculators via Presentation Link™ adapter
  • I/O port for communication with other TI products

A modern smart phone has roughly 10,000x the RAM, 100kx the storage and a CPU around 10kx as fast. Ohh and 400x the screen resolution WITH colors. 

If you don't want to pay $100 for a calculator just get one off ebay. You can get the TI84 for half the price of a new one and there's literally thousands of listings.

~Air Cooling Advocate~

2 minutes ago, Votivee said:

If you don't want to pay $100 for a calculator just get one off ebay. You can get the TI84 for half the price of a new one and there's literally thousands of listings.

Too late, I already bought one days ago.

Owner of a ~$150 calculator here. I don't even regret it. I like how easy and focused it is to use, the incredibly battery life, and the overall convenience for schoolwork. Sure, a phone or computer probably does a better job, but if I'm sitting at my desk doing homework and I need to make a calculation, with my phone, and my calculator sitting in front of me, I'm reaching for the calculator. 

PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 3 1300x @ 3.8ghz 1.2875 v | GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 Superclock | MoBo: MSI b350 Tomahawk | RAM: 2x4 Kingston HyperX fury 2666 @ 3033 16-18-18-36 1.3 volt

Case: NZXT S340 Elite | PSU: EVGA 650GQ | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: 1TB WD blue | OS: Windows 10 Pro 1903

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP Envy x360 13

APU: R7 2700u | RAM: 8GB | SSD: 240GB NVME | Display: 1920*1080 IPS touch with pen | OS: Windows 10 Home 1903

Accessories:

Spoiler

Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum | Mouse: G602 | Monitor: ACER R240HY | Mic: Blue Snowball iCE | Headphones: Creative Aurvana Live! 

AMP/DAC: FiiO E07k | Phone: iPhone 7+ 128gb Matte black

22 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

Owner of a ~$150 calculator here. I don't even regret it. I like how easy and focused it is to use, the incredibly battery life, and the overall convenience for schoolwork. Sure, a phone or computer probably does a better job, but if I'm sitting at my desk doing homework and I need to make a calculation, with my phone, and my calculator sitting in front of me, I'm reaching for the calculator. 

I do the same as you, but only because I have no self-control and once the phone screen unlocks you can bet the house I'm clicking Reddit or Netflix

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G@3.9Ghz  Heatsink: AMD Wraith Stealth GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 3200Mhz Mobo: ASRock B450M-Pro4  Case: Phanteks P300 PSU: Superflower Silver ECO 600W

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

Because Texas Instruments has made the entire education field its bitch.

This... basically this.  

When I show my students what Wolfram Alpha or Wolfram computational cloud can do on their phone, PC or tablet ... they wonder why they ever had to learn to use a TI 82. 

The one thing about the TI calculators is ... if taught with the right methods they can be an entrance into programming.  They were when I was in school.  Now, I get people who have one, took every course with on in 8-12 grade but cant really use them.    By which I mean they can't program them. 

TI did a big number on education.