Does anyone know anything about Xbox soft-modding?

I have been interested in soft-modding my original Xbox, as having digital backups to my HDD sounds nice, along with emulators.

I just have no idea, how getting more storage by means of a Compact Flash card or a spinning drive would work.

Does anyone have experience with this?

i7 6700k, GTX 1080, Crucial MX 300, Maximus VII Hero, WD Blue, 16 GB RAM

17 hours ago, KING OF THE DIRTY DANS said:

I have been interested in soft-modding my original Xbox, as having digital backups to my HDD sounds nice, along with emulators.

I just have no idea, how getting more storage by means of a Compact Flash card or a spinning drive would work.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Saw your post, thought I would chime in. Back when I got mine modded (had a friend do it).... a long long time ago... there was some sort of drive hot-swapping involved, long story short ya ran the risk of nuking your PC's motherboard. But hey! good news, the hardware is so old now its almost cake.

Secret Documents

Spoiler

Heres a link to a working version of an auto installer disk, can't verify that it works.

link

Vid of install process

Heres a link to a tutorial for swapping drives / upgrading storage

link

Pay close attention to the 'TSOP' method. I could be wrong, but i would install the dashboard to the new drive after you get it swapped out, then try the auto installer disk to install xmbc, ya might be able to install xbmc right from hexen though, idk.

Vid of drive upgrade

Maybe if your lucky someone more versed in console hacking will help ya out.

1 hour ago, KeyboardCowboy said:

Saw your post, thought I would chime in. Back when I got mine modded (had a friend do it).... a long long time ago... there was some sort of drive hot-swapping involved, long story short ya ran the risk of nuking your PC's motherboard. But hey! good news, the hardware is so old now its almost cake.

Secret Documents

Hide contents

Heres a link to a working version of an auto installer disk, can't verify that it works.

link

Vid of install process

Heres a link to a tutorial for swapping drives / upgrading storage

link

Pay close attention to the 'TSOP' method. I could be wrong, but i would install the dashboard to the new drive after you get it swapped out, then try the auto installer disk to install xmbc, ya might be able to install xbmc right from hexen though, idk.

Vid of drive upgrade

Maybe if your lucky someone more versed in console hacking will help ya out.

Thank you for the information

i7 6700k, GTX 1080, Crucial MX 300, Maximus VII Hero, WD Blue, 16 GB RAM

• 2 weeks later...
  • So first of all before you do anything:
  • Get a replacement HDD - my recommendation would be getting an new old stock or barely used 160GB+ IDE HDD as they are dirty cheap (got 2x 320GB with couple hours of use for like 8€ both shipped) or some IDE to SATA or IDE to SD adapter but then there is a small chance it wont work and it will for sure be somewhat slower than using an IDE drive
  • Get on ebay/aliexpress or make an USB adapter
  • Buy Splinter Cell (whichever it was that let you do the softmod?)
  • Watch some youtube tutorial
  • Install a new HDD (again youtube)
  • and the most important part:
    STORE YOUR ORIGINAL HDD SOMEWHERE SAFE, IF YOU DON'T HAVE IT SOMEWHERE AND YOUR HDD DIES, YOUR XBOX IS DEAD