is memory causing my low fps?

elKz

I originally built this system with the intention of it being nothing but a media server, since then I've installed a RX 570 to do some gaming but noticed that there is some terrible stuttering/fps lag. An example of this is on Two Point Hospital, the graphics are set to High at 1920x1080 and at late game, with more things going on the stuttering increases. If I down the resolution to 1280x720 and even with the settings at low, the fps stays around 30, barely improving by around 5 when moving the mouse around.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600

MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte AB350N-Gaming WIFI B350

MEMORY: 8GB (1x8GB) DDR4/2400mhz Dual Channel Memory

VIDEO: MSI AMD Radeon RX 570 8GB

Have you tried dduing and installing new drivers?

Is this the only game that has issues?  One thing with your ram, you have 1 stick of ram meaning that it's not running 2400mhz, it's running 1200mhz because it's dual channel. 

The other thing, I don't know how well the game is optimized and a lot of those simulation based games are pretty CPU dependent, usually single thread.  I would 100% recommend buying either a 16GB 2 stick kit, or another stick of the exact same stick that you have, using the model number of the current RAM you have.. Consult the manual to make sure that you install it correctly to run in Dual Channel mode.

10 hours ago, tenfootgiant said:

Is this the only game that has issues?  One thing with your ram, you have 1 stick of ram meaning that it's not running 2400mhz, it's running 1200mhz because it's dual channel. 

The other thing, I don't know how well the game is optimized and a lot of those simulation based games are pretty CPU dependent, usually single thread.  I would 100% recommend buying either a 16GB 2 stick kit, or another stick of the exact same stick that you have, using the model number of the current RAM you have.. Consult the manual to make sure that you install it correctly to run in Dual Channel mode.

Well my friend can play two point hospital with a 960 and 4gb ram so I don’t think his specs are the problem here.

2 hours ago, Jesius said:

Well my friend can play two point hospital with a 960 and 4gb ram so I don’t think his specs are the problem here.

Well, I never said that it was the cause, I was merely recommending that regardless of outcome that he makes sure his system is running in Dual Channel as,especially with Ryzen, fast memory is very important to the performance so running it half the speed can very well cripple it..  Also, your friend can play Two

Point Hospital and so can elKz.  It was never an issue of playing the game or not.

14 hours ago, tenfootgiant said:

This is most likely the cause, the fact I'm only running at 1200mhz is going to cause the stuttering etc. I'll purchase a 16GB kit at 3000mhz instead, can't hurt to go a little faster with Ryzen and It's pretty cheap right now.

Looking at replacing It with this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07B2Y1N8B/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

3 hours ago, elKz said:

This is most likely the cause, the fact I'm only running at 1200mhz is going to cause the stuttering etc. I'll purchase a 16GB kit at 3000mhz instead, can't hurt to go a little faster with Ryzen and It's pretty cheap right now.

Looking at replacing It with this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07B2Y1N8B/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

I use that kit, but mine will crash at 3000mhz with any tweaking on every BIOS up to F21, don't know beyond that since I stopped caring.  If you can't get it to run 3000, try 2933. Mileage may vary etc etc but I have the Gigabyte AB350 gaming Rev 1 which is similar to your board so you might have similar results.  Try XMP first but if you get random BSODs, then look into what I said.