Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Livebythegame

Height Difference in Aspect Ratio for Monitors

the 21:9 27 inch will be shorter then the 24" 16:9 but a 29" 21:9 is taller then a 27 21:9 (same aspect ratio but larger size means taller and wider) here is a website where you can punch in the different sizes and aspect ratios and see a visual comparison http://www.displaywars.com/24-inch-16x9-vs-27-inch-21x9

a 34" ultrawide is the same height as a 27" 16:9 but is about 7.75" WIDER, these are the screen sizes I suggest if you can afford them.

edit: REMEMBER screen sizes are measured DIAGONALLY (like bottom left to top right or top left to bottom right) so if a screen gets wider but has the same diagonal dimension then it MUST get shorter in height, just think about the triangle.

Posted · Original PosterOP

So I read that a 27 inch monitor might look smaller than a 24 inch monitor due to the aspect ratio due to the smaller vertical length / height. 

i have been trying to understand this for a while now. Done a lot of reading and watching videos but I am still confused. 

This might be silly but am not great at math. 

I think the height of a 24 inch 16:9 monitor is more than one of a 27 inch 21:9. 

So, is the height of a 27 inch 21:9 monitor less than the height of a 29 inch 21:9 monitor? Or are they the same?  

What about the height of a 27 inch 16:9 monitor? Is its height more than a 27 inch 21:9 and 29 inch 21:9 monitor ?   

Posted · Best Answer

the 21:9 27 inch will be shorter then the 24" 16:9 but a 29" 21:9 is taller then a 27 21:9 (same aspect ratio but larger size means taller and wider) here is a website where you can punch in the different sizes and aspect ratios and see a visual comparison http://www.displaywars.com/24-inch-16x9-vs-27-inch-21x9

a 34" ultrawide is the same height as a 27" 16:9 but is about 7.75" WIDER, these are the screen sizes I suggest if you can afford them.

edit: REMEMBER screen sizes are measured DIAGONALLY (like bottom left to top right or top left to bottom right) so if a screen gets wider but has the same diagonal dimension then it MUST get shorter in height, just think about the triangle.

Posted · Original PosterOP

Thank you @Daniel644. That makes sense and the website is very useful.  😀

I understand this better but have more questions in my journey to getting a new monitor. I will post a new topic for the other questions.