EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750G 750w 80plus GOLD PSU Review

Money

BEFORE YOU READ! I'd like to say that I am by no means a Power Supply aficionado, so don't expect uber voltage charts and whatnot!

EVGA. What springs to mind when you hear that? Graphics cards, and motherboards that really don't have a place. Now EVGA is dipping their feet into the wonderful waters of the PSU market with the new SuperNOVA NEX series. They all boast full modular capabilities and 100% Japanese capacitors. How marvelous! I just so happened to purchase the 750w 80plus Gold variant. On to the review!

The second you pick up the box you'll notice the weight of it. It is quite heavy indeed at 8.5lbs. When you crack open the box you are greeted with a bag of cables, a power supply encased in a 1ish inch thick soft foam, and some documentation. The power supply itself has a very nice powder-coated black finish that wont scratch. It has a very simple design that works well in pretty well any case. Unfortunately, the specifications on the side of the unit is a little unattractive, but it's a minor complaint. The 'E' on the middle of the fan grill is nice and shiny. Unfortunately you won't see it if you have the PSU set up as an exhaust. On to the cables! Good Lord the cables. 10/10 would bang, call back, date, then marry. The cables are all black (Except for the PCI-E power connectors where they are all red), which makes the cables extremely stealthy and very good looking. Of course, that has no benefit for performance, but they are oh so pretty. There is a full compliment of cables including a staggering 16, yes, 16 PCI-E power connectors that are a bright red. That is outstanding for a 750w power supply. Although I would highly recommend against using all of them at once because they can't all perform at 20AMPS. It also has plenty of 9 SATA power cables, 6 peripheral power cables, 1 floppy cable, and 2 CPU power cables. The cables impede out from the unit a little bit, allowing for easy cable routing into the rubber grommet next to it. The dual ball-bearing fan has a completely reasonable sound level. Except for maybe someone like Linus. ;) On to the conclusion!

I purchased this power supply simply to provide power to 2 6870's. It does that with flying colours! I do realize that the voltage regulation is a little weak due to the fact that they are squeezing the Etasis platform for all it has. It would have been nice to see EVGA spend a couple for bucks to upgrade from that. It serves the purpose I gave it very well, and I can't see any downsides. It's completely modular, a good price, and has a bumper! I give it 8 Bengal cats out of 10 Bengal cats.

SuperNOVA NEX series: http://ncix.com/search/?categoryid=0...+supernova+nex

Awesome review :) Well written, to the point, and engaging. I have one question and one critique though. First, what do you mean by the Etasis platform? Is that the OEM power supply that it is based off of?

Also, is there any chance you can include some pictures? :D Like of the cables, and how it looks in a system. Stuff that you might not find on the website :P

Workstation: 3930k @ 4.3GHz under an H100 - 4x8GB ram - infiniband HCA  - xonar essence stx - gtx 680 - sabretooth x79 - corsair C70 Server: i7 3770k (don't ask) - lsi-9260-4i used as an HBA - 6x3TB WD red (raidz2) - crucia m4's (60gb (ZIL, L2ARC), 120gb (OS)) - 4X8GB ram - infiniband HCA - define mini  Goodies: Røde podcaster w/ boom & shock mount - 3x1080p ips panels (NEC monitors for life) - k90 - g9x - sp2500's - HD598's - kvm switch

ZFS tutorial

If Im honest, Im not sure what I mean by Etasis. :S I just read that somewhere. Lol.

Ill go take some pics right now!

Thanks, I wasn't aware of this particular 80+ gold certified PSU. You didn't mention the size of the fan. This is pretty important to me, because a larger fan will cool better at lower rpm, which leads to less noise. EVGA's official webpage doesn't mention it. Anything on the box ?

Thanks' date=' I wasn't aware of this particular 80+ gold certified PSU. You didn't mention the size of the fan. This is pretty important to me, because a larger fan will cool better at lower rpm, which leads to less noise. EVGA's official webpage doesn't mention it. Anything on the box ?[/quote']

It's should be 135mm. I was going to get the 650w but on Europe i didn't find it on stores and the stock on evga webstore was 0.

hmm should we all review things out of 10 bengal cats?

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

Haha! That would be awesome, but I suspect others already has made scales like yours :P

MEH

I WANT 1 only 98.99 euro where i live :D

In before pre watercooled powersupplies.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

I WANT 1 only 98.99 euro where i live :D

Definitely worth it.

Haha! That would be awesome' date=' but I suspect others already has made scales like yours :P[/quote']

1-10 is pretty common, 11 is awesome product glasses, 0 is a baseball bat

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)