Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
InfinityVive

How long will my CPU hold up?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I bought a Core i5 4590 2 Months ago for my PC which has Nvidia GTX 1070 and 16 GB Ram, But how long will my system and CPU hold up with no issues in the future? 3,4 or 5 Years? Please tell me your opinion.

I have yet to find the LTT user who can see the future. So we can't answer that question.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

EVGA G3 thread, BR/BT threadSeasonic Focus thread, S12II/M12II thread, Userbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions

Just now, fasauceome said:

I have yet to find the LTT user who can see the future. So we can't answer that question.

I don't want future, I want your opinion.

cpu's rarely break. hell my laptop is 5 years old and I haven't bean light with it and I have quite a few pentiums in perfect working order.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

The way to get the specs for my PC. go to the store. Buy some potatos. boil them and mash the. and stuff that in a focus g with a ssd.

Just now, will4623 said:

cpu's rarely break. hell my laptop is 5 years old and I haven't bean light with it and I have quite a few pentiums in perfect working order.

With how much it will hold up, I mean how many years will games keep supporting this CPU for medium settings 1080p?

5 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

Core i5 4590

Considering the 4c/4t CPUs allready started seeing stuttering last year. And to this year the titles where its sees this has increased. 

Its allready starting to show its age. 

Just now, GoldenLag said:

Considering the 4c/4t CPUs allready started seeing stuttering last year. And to this year the titles where its sees this has increased. 

Its allready starting to show its age. 

I don't really think so, I never saw a benchmark of my CPU that has stutters.

Just now, InfinityVive said:

With how much it will hold up, I mean how many years will games keep supporting this CPU for medium settings 1080p?

Depends on what games and what framerate.......

Also they dont support a specific CPU. They just demand a certain thread/core count and frequency. 

And 4c/4t is finally showing its age, quite significantly in some titles.

3 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

I don't want future, I want your opinion.

I feel like these days a quad core i5 just doesn't cut it, I'd have updated to an i7 4770 by now if it was my rig 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

EVGA G3 thread, BR/BT threadSeasonic Focus thread, S12II/M12II thread, Userbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions

I don't really think so, I never saw a benchmark of my CPU that has stutters.

Then you havent had a look at 1% lows my friend. 

Something that equates to stuttering. 

The delta between a ht enabled CPU and non-ht CPU is quite significant. 

Believe battlefield is one such title.

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

Depends on what games and what framerate.......

Also they dont support a specific CPU. They just demand a certain thread/core count and frequency. 

And 4c/4t is finally showing its age, quite significantly in some titles.

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

I feel like these days a quad core i5 just doesn't cut it, I'd have updated to an i7 4770 by now if it was my rig 

So, How many years will it hold up with me in video games triple A titles? I never seen a triple A title that needs more than 4 Cores before.

So, How many years will it hold up with me in video games triple A titles? I never seen a triple A title that needs more than 4 Cores before.

There are AAA titles out right now that can leverage more than 4 cores. Battlefield games, Assassin's Creed, tomb raider, rainbow 6 siege, the list grows every release cycle.

Primary PC:

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Just now, fasauceome said:

There are AAA titles out right now that can leverage more than 4 cores. Battlefield games, Assassin's Creed, tomb raider, rainbow 6 siege, the list grows every release cycle.

So RIP 4th gen, 5th gen, 6th, 7th gen intel's cpus? these all are 4 Cores.

2 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

You want our opinion, but keep saying it not true of You didn’t have issues.

Don’t ask for opinions then. I agree that 4c/4t is lacking today already, as games keep developing they will be more and more demanding. 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x 1.35V @ 4.1GhZ  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX (2*8) 16GB 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2Nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

1 minute ago, InfinityVive said:

"Needs" is a strong word. Though certainly recommended more than 4 threads. 

Note that benchmarks run with practically nothing in the background. No Discord or other software occupying the pipelines. Which will just make the 4c/4t even worse. 

An i7 is a lot more capable than an i5, but the 6600 and 7600 are basically the last holdouts for true quad cores in my opinion, or overclockable k SKUs like the 4690k. These processors can compensate for their lack of threads with a clock speed bump, but it's not as useful as hyperthreading in cases where 4c/4t just isn't enough.

Primary PC:

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Intel got lazy. AMD has nothing to offer really.. until ryzen came and now ryzen 3000, it’s really beating intels cpu’s At a much lower price point with more cores

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x 1.35V @ 4.1GhZ  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX (2*8) 16GB 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2Nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

I am just feeling like I wasted 200 Dollars on that CPU, Did I?

Yup (imo)

2 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

If you feel you wasted it, you probably did. The real question is, does it work for the games/tasks YOU need it for right now?

I5 from 2nd gen to 7th gen are just becomming worse by the minute.

The i7 2600k is still holding on because its got HT enabled. Though will eventually fall slightly before the 6c/6t CPUs start to struggle.

3 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

Yes you did.

You could have gotten a r5 1600 with a B450 Pro4 board for the same money.

Edit: try to resell before old intel CPU loose their value.

They are still overpriced on the used market.

4 minutes ago, InfinityVive said:

You spent $200 USD on that? When exactly?

Primary PC:

Linux Proliant ML150 G6: