Undervolting the RX5700 is back on the menu boys and grils

exetras

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hardwareluxx.de%2Findex.php%2Fartikel%2Fhardware%2Fgrafikkarten%2F50149-zweimal-rdna-als-navi-die-radeon-rx-5700-und-radeon-rx-5700-xt-im-test.html%3Fstart%3D25&sandbox=1

We have also devoted ourselves to undervolting, partly because AMD GPUs here often have great potential for improvement.

image.png.6c982ab01c68e272caa4d1e184872cbc.png

For undervolting we achieved the above results. For example, with the Radeon RX 5700, we were able to reduce the voltage from 0.987 to 0.937 V at almost the same clock - the power consumption drops by about 7.5%. At the same time the GPU temperature dropped by 9 ° C and the fans could turn slightly slower.

For the Radeon RX 5700 XT the undervolting even increased the clock, but we could not keep up the power consumption. However, more power with the same power consumption is certainly also to be judged as a positive result. At the same time, the GPU temperature drops, even though we let the fans spin at the same speed to keep the clock going.

image.png.742c0007def257e8ac05c51bbfcb238b.png

image.png.068f8a925e342c06339fbd3438b43a0e.png

Personal note:

With better drivers in the future and Undervolting we should be able to get some nice boost from the RX 5700 series. A bit like the Vega 56, which started low and ended high. Getting a partner RX should make this even more appealing as cooling will be exponentially better.

image.png

Very interesting, I would've expected better optimized out of the box then maybe. Oh well we'll see how it goes with new drivers over time. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

it's so interesting how you can get more performance from undervolting just because of reduced TDP

easy to think "oh I need more performance let me throw MORE volts at it." but this clearly shows that isn't always the best idea

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, bcredeur97 said:

it's so interesting how you can get more performance from undervolting just because of reduced TDP

easy to think "oh I need more performance let me throw MORE volts at it." but this clearly shows that isn't always the best idea

It's mostly due to lower voltage creating more thermal headroom.. The cooler the card, the higher it can clock.. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

More voltage is usually only helpful when there's plenty of extra heat dissipation.  Undervolting a blower makes a lot of sense.

I still don't understand how AMD hasn't solved this problem one way or another. Running at massive voltages ootb is getting silly.

why you callin grils?

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

12 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

I still don't understand how AMD hasn't solved this problem one way or another. Running at massive voltages ootb is getting silly.

I think it has more to do with their chips varying alot in power requirements. They'll try to strike the best voltage/frequency balance for all cards but that'll mean there will be some cards that require less voltage that will benefit more from undervolting and other cards requiring more voltage that will benefit more from overvolting. Then you'll have those cards where the gpu power requirements are right in line with what AMD defaults it to, meaning you lost the lottery for extra self discovered performance if you get one of those :(

The reason we don't see this with Nvidia is because they have so many different SKUs of a specific chip so undervolting and overvolting is alot less striking. 

5 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

I've never actually needed to overvolt a graphics card, because they always hit their air-cooled clock speed limits at stock. Overvolting did nothing for them at all other than make them run hotter.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

These tests actually show that Navi cards aren't as factory overvolted as Vega and Polaris cards were. It also looks like AMD went for a more nvidia-like approach with total board power, with much tighter control.

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

Always found this a bit strange as you would assume undervolting would cause instability when the clocks increase. Guess not.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

2 minutes ago, sof006 said:

Always found this a bit strange as you would assume undervolting would cause instability when the clocks increase. Guess not.

It doesn't work on all chips, AMD pushes high voltage as standard to stabilise lower quality chips that would otherwise have to go on the reject bin. 

AMDs spec is much more forgiving than nvidias in that regard, they have a much wider window of acceptability.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240