Does cheap audio adapter 3.5 can affect sound quality?

ringo

In the back of my mobo I was thinking to connect headphones and 2.1 speakers and for that reason I will need audio adapter 3.5mm, something like this:

3325gdg4354364.PNG.9ba6ff4a33dfdec4c1215b8c812911f9.PNG

Can I buy cheaper one, will it affect sound quality? Or it is better to bought something like this:

sfst54resf43w.PNG.929351b41a4866c8032158869e09da86.PNG

Your better off with the one with the cables. While the first one will do fine, its more prone to breaking / moving due to it being rigid.

Unless its really crappy made, you will not notice anything.

No, that won’t. Well on a physical level it will but zou won’t be able to hear it. It will only increase the load on your amp. That’s why you will have to turn up a little bit more. But everything fine, go for it

i STRONGLY recommend the cable though! Those adapters are shit and break often. I had many of them 

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

You don't need any adapters. Most of motherboards integrated soundcard, when you installed dedicated software, ask you what do you plug into jack connector. So if you plug your headphones into microphone jack and set it as headphones, it will work.

You probably won't need to do that.

Most modern sound cards have auto detection of what you plug in the audio jacks. You can basically plug a jack in any connector and the sound card will auto detect the type (if it's speakers, microphone etc)

Try plugging your headphones in the Line In or Microphone jacks in the back, the sound card should detect it and just work.

If not, open the control panel that / application that comes with your sound card and manually set the role of the plug to headphones.

For example, on my Realtek HD Audio Manager I can double click on the right on the analogue audio plugs and say "this is headphones"

image.png.c3bceda4cd949cdd93f322bad09e3e66.png

If this doesn't work, your motherboard has the audio jacks in the back and an AC97/HDAUDIO front panel header.

You can get some extension cable (anything with 2 x 5 wires) and cut the wires and connect them to your audio cable, the pinout of that header is standardized:

image.png.f8e0d70c26b45f0bba5b7d5f5200719d.png

5 PORT 2R Analog Port 2—right channel (Headphone)
9 PORT 2L Analog Port 2—left channel (Headphone)
2 GND Ground

That's your three wires for the headphones jack.

Here's example of cable you can buy from ebay : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Internal-Motherboard-AC97-HD-audio-9pin-male-to-female-Extension-Cable-cord-40cm/312083838829?epid=888339804&hash=item48a9a5776d:g:A~IAAOSwgQ9VpOLc

Cut the connector with the pins.. Get a male-female stereo cable, cut the male connector and connect the wires together.... job done.

19 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Good to know. My answer was completely different. :P

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2019 at 2:19 PM, mariushm said:

Most modern sound cards have auto detection of what you plug in the audio jacks. You can basically plug a jack in any connector and the sound card will auto detect the type (if it's speakers, microphone etc)

Try plugging your headphones in the Line In or Microphone jacks in the back, the sound card should detect it and just work.

If not, open the control panel that / application that comes with your sound card and manually set the role of the plug to headphones.

For example, on my Realtek HD Audio Manager I can double click on the right on the analogue audio plugs and say "this is headphones"

image.png.c3bceda4cd949cdd93f322bad09e3e66.png

If this doesn't work, your motherboard has the audio jacks in the back and an AC97/HDAUDIO front panel header.

You can get some extension cable (anything with 2 x 5 wires) and cut the wires and connect them to your audio cable, the pinout of that header is standardized:

image.png.f8e0d70c26b45f0bba5b7d5f5200719d.png

5 PORT 2R Analog Port 2—right channel (Headphone)
9 PORT 2L Analog Port 2—left channel (Headphone)
2 GND Ground

That's your three wires for the headphones jack.

Here's example of cable you can buy from ebay : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Internal-Motherboard-AC97-HD-audio-9pin-male-to-female-Extension-Cable-cord-40cm/312083838829?epid=888339804&hash=item48a9a5776d:g:A~IAAOSwgQ9VpOLc

Cut the connector with the pins.. Get a male-female stereo cable, cut the male connector and connect the wires together.... job done.

Sorry for my late answer I was on summer vacation.

My mbo is Asus x470-f strix, I installed new audio driver from Asus website but I don`t see Realtek control panel, I only got Realtek audio console and when I try to open it I got "App can`t be open. There is a problem with realtek console. Contact your system administrator about repairing it or reinstalling it."

I plug headphones on back panel in Microphone but nothing happens, I only got in Windows playback device option microphone options. My windows is a mess (win 10 1703 version), I will reinstall it soon on newest. So if I got on new windows realtek program options I should plug my headphone to microfone and just set it to headphones in Realtek control panel? That or find audio adapter for Line in? I won t cut any wires (your second method), that seems to complicated to me.

Update: I will after windows reinstall try method that @mariushm recommended me and I will just for any case buy some cheap audio adapter. Is tere a difference between these two adapter on this link:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32866799670.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.283c3c006KPLVY

What is better for my situation (two with mic and earphone picture on those for two earphones), speakers 2.1 and headphone in Line in?