X570 and Thunderbolt 3

I've been looking through the new AMD X570 motherboards and it seems that only the Asrock Motherboards support Thunderbolt 3 either directly or through an expansion card. I know that Thunderbolt is an Intel system, which means it needs to be licensed, but I find it kind of strange that only Asrock is supporting Thunderbolt 3 and not the other main manufacturers like Asus, MSI, Gigabyte. 

Unless I'm missing something of course.

Thunderbolt 4 is going to be what you want. Though idk what you could really want TB for in a desktop system if you haven't run out of PCIe slots. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Thunderbolt 4 is going to be what you want. Though idk what you could really want TB for in a desktop system if you haven't run out of PCIe slots. 

I do Music Composing and most high end Audio Interfaces use Thunderbolt like Universal Audio Apollos.

Yo! I have a Focusrite Clarett 2pre and need a thunderbolt port too.. I've just sent in a customer query to asrock asking when their x570 Creator board with the 2 thunderbolt ports will be available. Unsure why only asrock picked up on this market. It's niche but it's for people like us! Pre-ordered my 3900x too and looking to get Albeton Live and Pro Tools next.

Hey guys I share your frustration for lack of thunderbolt 3. it's the thing that's kept me away from AMD I'm currently using the Asus prime x299 deluxe II motherboard with a 10 core Intel processor that motherboard has 2 thunderbolt 3 slots supported natively on the chipset

For those of you wondering why we still want thunderbolt 3 people in the audio industry or film industry or just creative industry all of the high-end external devices hard drives memory card readers etc use thunderbolt 3 because that's the fastest way to connect something to your computer right now

I'm also looking to use thunderbolt 3 to connect my computer to my keyboard mouse and monitor on the other side of the room by using Cornings optical cable just like Linus did with Thunderbolt 2. but corning hasn't released their thunderbolt 3 optical cables yet and won't respond to my emails asking them about it but Linus did say on a recent wan they are supposed to send him one soon so- hopefully soon

What's up with Asus not supporting thunderbolt 3 on x570 !!?? They have a thunderbolt breakout card and support it on a lot of their old motherboards !!

Thunderbolt is one of those things that's not documented very well it's very hard to find out what motherboards support it and which don't !!

19 hours ago, benjaminduk said:

I've been looking through the new AMD X570 motherboards and it seems that only the Asrock Motherboards support Thunderbolt 3 either directly or through an expansion card. I know that Thunderbolt is an Intel system, which means it needs to be licensed, but I find it kind of strange that only Asrock is supporting Thunderbolt 3 and not the other main manufacturers like Asus, MSI, Gigabyte. 

Unless I'm missing something of course.

x570 Aorus Master has a TB3 header ;)

PC Specs

Ryzen 7 - 2700x - 4.2 Ghz 

MSI MPG X570s Carbon Max Wifi 

Thermaltake Water 3.0 360mm ARGB Sync TT Premium

G.Skillz Trident Z 3200mhz CL16

Gigabyte RTX 2060 Aorus Xtreme

Samsung Evo 970 - 256 GB

OCZ Agility - 256 GB

Western Digital - 1 TB

Corsair RM750x - 750W Gold

tb header is great but supporting it natively on the chipset would be even better 

5 minutes ago, benjaminduk said:

Wow this is not even in the specifications on the official webpage. I saw it in a video where it's hidden. Not sure why this is not mentioned.

Are there any other Gigabyte boards that will have this header?

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-MASTER-rev-10#sp

Yeah idk either. But its there :D

PC Specs

Samsung Evo 970 - 256 GB

OCZ Agility - 256 GB

Western Digital - 1 TB

Yeah idk either. But its there :D

Hey thanks for pointing this out. I would never have seen it since they don't even document it. I'm assuming you can just use the Gigabyte thunderbolt add-on card for it?

45 minutes ago, benjaminduk said:

Hey thanks for pointing this out. I would never have seen it since they don't even document it. I'm assuming you can just use the Gigabyte thunderbolt add-on card for it?

I would think so yeah but tbh i have no idea how that stuff works :D

PC Specs

Samsung Evo 970 - 256 GB

OCZ Agility - 256 GB

Western Digital - 1 TB

1 hour ago, benjaminduk said:

i think the latest one is titan ridge? i got one of those to try to use with thread ripper but never tried it out 

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the "Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO" also has a Thunderbolt header.

20 hours ago, benjaminduk said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the "Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO" also has a Thunderbolt header.

idk the TPM header ? is that what you mean?

20 hours ago, benjaminduk said:

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-10#sp

thunderbolt aint listed.

Anyway for thunderbolt 3 on AMD you most likely need to wait for USB 4.0 which will hopefully come out on X670, next year together with Ryzen 2 refresh.

If asrock supports it, sure go with that one. I personally am surprised that there is a company supporting it on x570 boards.

AMD 5900x, 2x16GB ( G.skill F4-3600C16 ), Radeon VII, Radeon 570,  Corsair 1200i , SSD 240/500GB, HDD 640GB,1TB,5TB, 1TB NVME. Lian li 011Dyanmic XL, big ass LTT mouse-pad & stealth water bottle

Don't look at the Spec listing. It doesn't list the Thunderbolt header. If you look at pics and watch the videos where people go through the board you will see there are Thunderbolt headers on some of the boards called "THB-C".  

• 2 months later...

This is from a seller on Amazon:
"Traditionally the Aorus Master doesn't support Thunderbolt. The Aorus Extreme is the only model in the Aorus series lineup that supports that feature. However, I don't believe Gigabyte kept that enabled for even the Extreme models this time around.
A lot of reviewers used pre-revision 1.0 models where it seemed Givabyte was going to use the feature pre-launch. However after launch all 1.0 revisions do not have the connector and there are only 4 contacts on the pcb where the port would have gone. "

I have looked at the rev 1.0 pictures on their web site and it is blank space where the header was in the pre-release boards.  Sorry, looks like ASRock is it.

• 2 months later...

Hello there first time posting. It appears there are still no new thunderbolt motherboard options on the market yet for x570. An AMD 3900x offers such incredible performance, and would be great to pair with a protools system and Thunderbolt interface. Fingers crossed some new options get announced in the near future

• 1 month later...
On 7/8/2019 at 8:01 AM, DrMacintosh said:

I can help out here - ever tried moving around video and/or lots of photos for editing - it makes sense then.
Have a TB3 external PCIe enclosure and have several 2.5" 1.94TB SSDs (bought used from a friend who works with servers,  so relatively cheap)  on NVMe PCIe cards for it for more very fast storage that is sort of portable (especially when compared to the desktop)
Also easier to swap between SSD's without having to access the inside of and restart the desktop.
Don't really care if the TB3 is on the rear IO or via a motherboard header with a PCIe card (no motherboard header = no TB3), but having access to either would definitely help speed things up. :-)
Other people might find other uses, but that is what I want it for.

Not to sure about TB4 after reading articles saying things like - "Details are scarce, but Intel says its four times faster than USB 3.1 (10Gbps), meaning it tops out at 40Gbps – the same speed as v3."
Maybe USB 4 might be a better option - "Note that the upcoming 
USB 4 is based on Thunderbolt 3 and can reach the same speeds. Also, it’s royalty-free, so it should gain wider adoption than Thunderbolt 
I wonder if there is an adaptor between TB3 and USB 4??

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, But doing some digging around the internet and you DO NOT need a TB3 header on an x570 motherboard if the BIOS supports TB3. all you need to do is jump pins 3 and 5 on the TB header cable! tested on my x570 aorus elite with titan ridge 2.0

• 4 months later...

That being said, would I be able to use my Apollo Twin X through a Thunderbolt 3 option card with my AMD 5950x CPU? Or do I need to use an Intel CPU?

Sorry I'm building my first PC and I NEED to be able to use my apollo, just curious how that's gonna work.