Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LukeSavenije

Navi/Ryzen 3000 launch Megathread

3 hours ago, porina said:

I don't think we're that different from recent past AMD CPUs when it comes to overclocking. For example, my 2600 stock would run all cores active around 3.9, but with a manual overclock I could run it Cinebench stable at 4.25. The 3700X... isn't much different. Clocks are more variable with load, typically 3.8 to 4.0 all cores loaded, and in fixed voltage/clock overclocking 4.3 is about manageable with my current cooling. I'm climbing the voltage wall though, and still have voltage headroom but not thermal headroom with a 240mm AIO. With better cooling I can get a bit more, but doubt I'll get much past the single core boost of 4.4 GHz without extreme cooling.

These CPUs as sold are running close to their limit, so overclockers have extremely limited potential to extract further performance. On the plus side, normal users can get most of the performance without worrying about tinkering. I still think the coolers are inadequate for sustained higher loads so and upgrade there will prevent thermal limiting.

i would like to see how a big water loop would do, as i suspect heat density is the bigger issue 

7 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

i would like to see how a big water loop would do, as i suspect heat density is the bigger issue 

If it's a heat density issue like the i7-7700k, then the bottleneck is more on transferring the thermal energy efficiently out of the die(s) to the IHS / cooling-solution, rather than the thermal capacity of the cooling solution itself.

49 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

Just watch the GN LN2 overclocking video, he does above ambient gradient temperature drops and shows how it effects clocks all the way down to around 0C.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

Just watch the GN LN2 overclocking video, he does above ambient gradient temperature drops and shows how it effects clocks all the way down to around 0C.

I haven't seen GNs video, but Der8auer showed a graph plotting clock speeds against CPU temp in his video for the R9 3900x as well. Goes from 50°C down to -140°C

image.thumb.png.75b26a915b6d17d213e4073569310dbb.png

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

7 minutes ago, Spotty said:

I haven't seen GNs video, but Der8auer showed a graph plotting clock speeds against CPU temp in his video for the R9 3900x as well. Goes from 50°C down to -140°C

image.thumb.png.75b26a915b6d17d213e4073569310dbb.png

That graph has to be wrong, the TDP is only 105W and it says over 170W, DID AMD LIE!!!!!!1!!!     🙄🤣

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

"We can accept God becoming Man to save Man, but not Man becoming God to save Himself."

How to free up space on your SSD                                             Kymatica Revision:                                                                                                                      

Spoiler

CPUIntel Core i7-2600k @ 4.4GHz MotherboardASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 GPUGigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Ti OC 6G 2x Windforce RamG.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB @ 2133MHz @ 9-10-11-28 SSDCrucial M500 240GB (OS/Programs/Path of Exile/Grim Dawn) HDD1WD 1TB Blue (Diablo III/Other Games/Storage/Media) HDD2:  Seagate Barracuda 7.2K 500GB (Backup) HDD3WD Caviar 7.2K 500GB (Backup) HDD4WD Elements 4TB External WDBWLG0040HBK-NESN (Backup)  CPU CoolingCorsair Hydro Series H100 in Pull w/ 2x Delta FFB1212EH (22C Idle / 52C Load) Case Fans: 3x Noctua NF F12 industrialPPC-2000 120mm PSUSeasonic X-Series X-1050w Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 MonitorSamsung C27F396 Freesync 27-Inch 1080p @ 72Hz Keyboard: Cooler Master Storm Trigger Z (Cherry MX Brown Switches) Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD Mousepad: Razer Goliathus AudioLogitech X-530 5.1 Speaker System HeadsetSteelSeries SIBERIA V2 w/ Sennheiser 3D G4ME 7.1 Surround Amplifier OS: Windows 10 Professional Version 1809 OS Build 17763.557

9 hours ago, mr moose said:

That graph has to be wrong, the TDP is only 105W and it says over 170W, DID AMD LIE!!!!!!1!!!     🙄🤣

If you squint hard enough after a beer (or three), the line does look to flatten out at 105W 🙃.

Halp! Do I go Intel or Ryzen... I'm now confused! 🤣

I will have to check out price/performance for the few games left I play... anyone know any good Kerbal Space Program benchmark comparisons? 🤔

1 hour ago, TechyBen said:

Halp! Do I go Intel or Ryzen... I'm now confused! 🤣

I will have to check out price/performance for the few games left I play... anyone know any good Kerbal Space Program benchmark comparisons? 🤔

I think for KSP you'd be better with an 9700K, but I wouldn't recommend buying into the Intel ecosystem right now...
Tbh if price/performance is all you're after, go with the 3600 non X and enjoy that superb value

GAMING RIG CPU: Intel i7-6700K (4.7GHz @ 1.39v) Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro GPU: Asus GTX 1070 8GB RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Hard Drive: WD Black NVMe SSD 512GB Power Supply: XFX PRO 550W  Cooling: Corsair H115i Case: NZXT Switch 810 (white) Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64bit Monitor: AOC 27" QHD 144Hz Keyboard: Corsair K70 Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Elite Audio: Bose QC25