Worth Bringing My Gaming Desktop or just a laptop

PurpleCodes

Recently saw the video of linus saying out to package a pc for ltx and tips seem pretty good but what I am really worried about is customs. I have seen horror stories online about them taking apart pc's and trashing them (I am coming from the US so the trip back is more of a bigger deal because US Customs are a pita. Is it worth just bringing my monitor and gaming laptop or is it fairly safe to check my pc under the plane. It also might fit in my carry on. what is the best course of action for the show for the logistics of it and are customs a big deal? Just really confused on what the best thing to do is.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never taken a PC through customs before, but I can at least tell you that I'm taking my gaming laptop. Personally it sounds alot nicer to just haul around my laptop. I mean, TBH I don't need some kind of crazy high end PC to play at a lan party. I'll just be taking the laptop, a stand to raise it up, a keyboard, mouse, headset, and power strip. 

I've done carryon my laptop in a small briefcase, along with a regular bag for the overhead on Alaska Airlines,YMMV but I had a 17 inch gaming laptop with the powercord and other crud in that briefcase. Don't forget you'll want a ethernet cable and headphones. Both could pack or you wear as your board the plane. 

Note I did this traveling from state to state, not through customs. I'd check with airline and both border protection agencies about what they allow onboard. Especially regarding how many batteries and electronics you're bringing. They might get picky about that. Don't be afraid to call ahead to your airline or connecting ones about it. 

I landed in Vancouver yesterday and I brought an ITX computer with me from Europe and I have a few things I learned about bringing a PC from Europe to North America, but before I talk about my experience let me say I don’t know how long customs clearance takes or how long your computer will take to reach Canada. If you are going to ship your computer you might want to do it today or tomorrow.  You should check with your hotel to see if they will hold the package for you, too.  But before you consider it please listen to May experiences traveling and shipping a computer.  

My advice: If you have a gaming laptop bring it, a stand, keyboard, mouse and headset, don’t bring a desktop system.

Even though my ITX computer is much smaller and lighter than a full ATX system and I bought a duffel specifically designed to carry a SFF computer, keyboard, headset, mouse, mouse pad, and associated cables it still sucked to carry.  All of that stuff is heavy and bulky to carry though airports.  The distance from one flight to another was 3/4 of a mile. If it was my only carry on it might not have been as much of an issue, but I had a backpack as well.  If I had to guess the computer duffel and my backpack weighed around 20 kilo’s or 44libs (lbs). If you bring a computer as a carry-on you will always get addition screening at security.  The guy watching the scanner just kept shaking his head while trying to figure out what he was looking at.  

I wouldn't check a computer since the airline isn’t required to pay you back if they lose your checked bags since there is no way to prove what was lost: the airline doesn’t agree to an inventory and value of your checked bags and not having items in your possession makes it impossible to prove you owned them.  You might get a minimum required by international law, but it won’t be close to covering the cost of replacing your computer and accessories.  

Finally I shipped a computer to a friend of mine a couple of years ago and I insured the package for the value of the computer.  When the computer arrived it was clear the 3.5” drive cage’s bolt was sheared due to sustaining a large jolt while the computer was upside down, which ignored the “this side up” markings on 5 sides of the box, and the drive rattled around the case for days while being transported.  USPS refuses to pay for any of the damages, because the box the computer was in wasn’t damaged, but only after denying the claim four times stating they needed different information about the contents of the package each time additional information was provided.  If the package was lost I wonder if it wouldn’t have been better than it being severely damaged.  Would they have given replacement value or used value or anything at all?  

For me, and it could be wrong for you, it just wasn’t worth it.  I brought my laptop as well so I could use it during the 16 or so hours of traveling and I realized if I wanted to use a computer for something I would never set up my mITX computer in public I’d use the laptop.

4 hours ago, BobbyPdue said:

My advice: If you have a gaming laptop bring it, a stand, keyboard, mouse and headset, don’t bring a desktop system.

Bringing my laptop, can you recommend a laptop stand? I've always used the keyboard on the laptop.

This is the one I bought. I've tested it a couple of times and I think it will work well. It gets the laptop screen up to eye level no problem, is pretty widely adjustable, and takes up very little space (less than a power strip worth) in my backpack. It barely touches the laptop chassis, so it doesn't cover up ventilation at all.

Some people advocate for the ones with built in fans, though I don't know how much of a difference that actually makes.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HHYQBB8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good price, good reviews, my laptop should work on this. arrives tomorrow, so I have time before I fly out on Tuesday to try it out. ty

49 minutes ago, wydra91 said:

This is the one I bought. I've tested it a couple of times and I think it will work well. It gets the laptop screen up to eye level no problem, is pretty widely adjustable, and takes up very little space (less than a power strip worth) in my backpack. It barely touches the laptop chassis, so it doesn't cover up ventilation at all.

Some people advocate for the ones with built in fans, though I don't know how much of a difference that actually makes.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HHYQBB8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks, I'm most likely going to get this one. Don't forget your Kensington locks either. Just got that on in yesterday. Fits nice and tight. Not about to try and rip it out of the socket to test it though.

Also don't forget a USB hub if you think you'll need it.

Well, i dont know how much intense gaming there will be there but i sure am not taking my tower from brazil to canada haha, i will be taking my(really not that gaming capable) Microsoft surface pro4, i am hoping to play some dont starve, minecraft, age of empires 2... Stuff like that, dunno if you like any of those, but if yes, i am game for some matches haha

I'm driving up from the US, and I'm more than likely not going to bring my desktop with me after all. I've basically been waffling about it for months but, I am so worried about breaking my poor computer (and its not doing so well performance-wise anyway because it needs an upgrade BADLY) that I'd rather not take that chance. At least with my laptop, I can carry it in my backpack, safely packed away, and I can keep it with me since its light enough so I won't have to worry about theft. As long as your laptop can play the games you plan to play, it should be fine. I don't even know how customs is going to be, but I haven't been across the border in like 18 years so I figure just taking a laptop is playing it way safer than your whole desktop setup.

On 7/19/2019 at 6:07 PM, Gabriel Justus said:

Well, i dont know how much intense gaming there will be there but i sure am not taking my tower from brazil to canada haha, i will be taking my(really not that gaming capable) Microsoft surface pro4, i am hoping to play some dont starve, minecraft, age of empires 2... Stuff like that, dunno if you like any of those, but if yes, i am game for some matches haha

Have you heard of factorio? That's a fun one, I've been trying to see if people are game to play it during the BYOC.