Programming course (Help plz)

Henz9902
Go to solution Solved by Flojer0,

Given only a handful of years nearly any tools you learn today will be useless. So I would worry more about getting good at adapting to new tools than I would worry about the relevance of what I'm using. In fact, not to speak directly on the tools mentioned since I know little of them specifically, but I would consider it a benefit to cut teeth on worthless tools so that you are forced to adapt before beginning anything more than tutorial level work.

I'm wanting to do a programming course in New Zealand, but i'm not sure if i'll be any good at it.

The course info says: you’ll write code using vb.2010. You’ll also create relational databases using MS Access; become multimedia savvy with web creation using Dreamweaver and Flash; and advance your business application skills using MS Word, Excel and MYOB.

I haven't encountered any of the above before, and i want to know from somebody that has used any of them, if they are any use in modern programming.

TL;DR - how relevant is vb.2010, MS access, Dreamweaver, and flash in modern usage?

CPU: FX-8320 @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus Crosshair v Formula-Z RAM: 4GBx4 Gskill @ 1600MHz GPU: GTX 970 Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: 240GB SSD boot, 2TB segate HDD, 500GB old laptop HDD PSU: Antec 620W Bronze Display(s): AOC 21.5" and BENQ 27" 1440p Cooling: Be quiet! Darkrock pro Keyboard: Ducky shine zero Mouse: Razer Naga Sound: 5.1 logitech speakers with Razer kraken headset

Given only a handful of years nearly any tools you learn today will be useless. So I would worry more about getting good at adapting to new tools than I would worry about the relevance of what I'm using. In fact, not to speak directly on the tools mentioned since I know little of them specifically, but I would consider it a benefit to cut teeth on worthless tools so that you are forced to adapt before beginning anything more than tutorial level work.

My rig: 2600k(4.2 GHz) w/ Cooler Master hyper 212+, Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3, Powercolor 7870 xt(1100/1500) w/AIO mod,

8GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD, 1TB Seagate, Antec earthwatts 430, NZXT H2

Verified max overclock, just for kicks: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2609399

The thing with VB is that it is a basic language. If you don't carry that along you won't get anywhere with it. I'd recommend picking up another language to help support it. Also flash will be used for a long time. I would say just keep coding to keep it fresh in your mind. Also keep learning new things.

Quote me to get a reply!

Those really aren't that relevant 

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

Cheers, that's pretty much all i needed to know.

The thing with VB is that it is a basic language. If you don't carry that along you won't get anywhere with it. I'd recommend picking up another language to help support it. Also flash will be used for a long time. I would say just keep coding to keep it fresh in your mind. Also keep learning new things.

What language should i pick up along side it?

CPU: FX-8320 @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: Asus Crosshair v Formula-Z RAM: 4GBx4 Gskill @ 1600MHz GPU: GTX 970 Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: 240GB SSD boot, 2TB segate HDD, 500GB old laptop HDD PSU: Antec 620W Bronze Display(s): AOC 21.5" and BENQ 27" 1440p Cooling: Be quiet! Darkrock pro Keyboard: Ducky shine zero Mouse: Razer Naga Sound: 5.1 logitech speakers with Razer kraken headset

What language should i pick up along side it?

Most languages are similar to VB, I'd say study C, C++, or C#. I'd also say Java.

Quote me to get a reply!

TL;DR - how relevant is vb.2010, MS access, Dreamweaver, and flash in modern usage?

None of these are really relevant anymore.