Our BIGGEST Unboxing Ever!!

nicklmg
31 minutes ago, MetaDrow said:

3:17-3:22

Linus: "You know there's are shocking amount of our viewers that don't know we are Canadian"

Also Linus: Shows USD only, shows only US based black friday sales for example, does US only giveaways (sometimes)

Me: Gee I wonder why??

Perhaps because their most benevolent parent company (of course, referring to Nvidia) is US based?

*insert chirping crickets here*

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Actually, a lot of the stuff the link to the things you purchased that was priced quite a bit lower than I expected.

So much pressure now on Alex, can't get away with claiming that the right tools aren't here ?

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

Impressive shop but what will it be used for... seems like 90% of the videos these days are reviews or benchmarking or w/e along those lines. What could you possibly need a shop like this for to build/mod computers.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700x  (evga 240 AIO cooling)
PBO Settings:
Boost Override CPU: +200
CO: -17 all core
PPT: 140
TDC:  110
EDC: 150
Scalar: Auto

Mobo: Asrock x570 steel legend wifi ax

GPU: asrock challenger 7800xt 16 gb

Ram: 32 gb @3600 mhz

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C White

PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-1000

Storage: 1tb Samsung 860 ssd, 1tb nvme, 2tb Hitachi HDD, 3tb HDD for media

Display: Samsung 27" CHG70 1440p QLED Monitor

This looks like LTT wants to get in the business of making case prototypes which are then mass produced someplace else.

Can someone explain "c&c"?  The router is C&C but the mill isn't?

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

Fecking LOVED it!!! :D

Can't wait to see the videos that will come out of that workshop! ?

Oh wow! Talk about a candy thtore! I drooled tho much, the eth key on my keyboard doethn't work any more. And yeth, I know how to uth (and have uthed) motht of thothe toolth.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

8 hours ago, greenhorn said:

Computer Numerical Control, see also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numerical_control

Ah! That makes much more sense than "Command and Control" :)

Though I'd think given the intricate and precise needs for computer components, @AlexTheGreatish would be wanting cnc for all the cutting stuff...just cost a factor?

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

30 minutes ago, Video Beagle said:

Though I'd think given the intricate and precise needs for computer components, @AlexTheGreatish would be wanting cnc for all the cutting stuff...just cost a factor?

The advantages are huge: high precision, repeatability, the possibility to simulate before actually running the process, not having to stand next to the machine all the time (especially if you already know the program is going to work because you have run it before),...

20 hours ago, Lathlaer said:

So much pressure now on Alex, can't get away with claiming that the right tools aren't here ?

Just wait he'll find something ;) 

On 7/6/2019 at 5:07 PM, Lathlaer said:

3 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

Just wait he'll find something ;) 

Of course he will. No one, and I mean NO ONE, can ever have enough tools! Half the fun have having tools is acquiring them.

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

1 hour ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Half the fun have having tools is acquiring them.

The other half isn't using them it's getting someone else to pay for them, using them is the bonus (esp since this likely isn't going to be his new full time job). Having fun with them is priceless. I do agree with Alex tho TIG is better than MIG :P Aluminum welding is also fun ?

1 hour ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Of course he will. No one, and I mean NO ONE, can ever have enough tools! Half the fun have having tools is acquiring them.

This applies to computer hardware also.

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

20 hours ago, DesolationGod said:

Impressive shop but what will it be used for... seems like 90% of the videos these days are reviews or benchmarking or w/e along those lines. What could you possibly need a shop like this for to build/mod computers.

Part of the reason they stopped doing the fabrication videos was because without the proper tools the results were garbage (well, recyclables). They did some modding that turned out well, but what they want to do requires a lot of precise measurements. I mean, they want to water cool a RED camera, did you see how tight everything is in that video? Everything for that will have to be custom made.

And they've hinted they might expand their content to more maker type things.

12 hours ago, greenhorn said:

The advantages are huge: high precision, repeatability, the possibility to simulate before actually running the process, not having to stand next to the machine all the time (especially if you already know the program is going to work because you have run it before),...

That's for cnc though, right?  one of the big cutty machines he said wasn't cnc.

8 minutes ago, Video Beagle said:

That's for cnc though, right?  one of the big cutty machines he said wasn't cnc.

Yes, that was for CNC. Fun fact: The North Korean TV has even broadcast a video with a CNC song to show how amazing it is (don't take it too seriously of course)

20 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

Ah! That makes much more sense than "Command and Control" :)

Although is may seem non-intuitive, a manual mill like the Bridgeport is much faster for simple jobs. If I wanted to cut a block of aluminum, make it square, and drill two holes in it, I could easily walk up to a Bridgeport and do everything in 15min. Doing the same with CNC would require first designing the part in CAD, generating and checking the tool path and machine set up, setting up the part in the CNC machine, calibrating the zero reference, installing appropriate cutting tools, and then finally milling the part. 

CNC is great for two things:

- making complex objects with curves and lots of intricate or precise cuts

- automating the mass manufacture of product

Otherwise it's probably faster to just do it manually. Also an equivalent CNC mill is probably a factor of 5x in cost.

I would also like to note that CNC is not set it and forget it. A good machinist will watch and monitor the machine as it performs the job, at least for the first few runs until the run has proven reliable. There are often unforeseen issues some of which could easily destroy your part or worse your machine if you're not watching ready to hit the stop button. 

If I see that job opening for a machinist I'm going to have a heart attack. 

On 7/6/2019 at 12:45 PM, greenhorn said:

You just created the equivalent of Disney Land for engineers. That equipment looks amazing, I would love to work there.

I am just a bit concerned about the power draw of some of these machines, I hope this building unit has a properly rated connection (and preferably a 3-phase one) to the power grid.

We've got 600V 3 phase in there, probably could do three shops of this size haha

On 7/6/2019 at 1:56 PM, Ein0r said:

Now you are equipped to make a collab with This Old Tony :D

Can somebody estimate how much money all of this might have cost and what they might use these tools for? Besides litterally everything imaginable?

The only thing I can imagine right now are pc cases and the weirdest most specific mounting platforms for [something]. Cooler fan racks maybe.

I really enjoy his videos so definitely am not against it

Think the total is in the ballpark of 40k CAD

On 7/8/2019 at 9:08 AM, harryk said:

Although is may seem non-intuitive, a manual mill like the Bridgeport is much faster for simple jobs. ~snip~

Exactly this, the biggest problem that we have now is that although we have the tools to do a good job (i.e. CNC router), we rarely have the time to do a good job.  Like we aren't going to show the 4 hours where i made a custom jig to simply hold the thing we're cutting, but with the manual machines I can just do the cuts.

14 hours ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

We've got 600V 3 phase in there, probably could do three shops of this size haha...

Color me jealous! I have 50A @ 240v to work with. Running 12-15A power tools is challenging.

14 hours ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

...the biggest problem that we have now is that although we have the tools to do a good job (i.e. CNC router), we rarely have the time to do a good job.  Like we aren't going to show the 4 hours where i made a custom jig to simply hold the thing we're cutting, but with the manual machines I can just do the cuts.

You might be surprised how many people would be interested in watching details like that. I follow two machine shop and one wainwright channels that do just that (of course, they edit out the repeated parts and speed up the slow stuff) and there are quite a few other channels that also do that on Boobtube. It's also educational since a lot of people do not understand how much prep work, jigging, etc. has to be done for even some simple operations.

Jeannie

12 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

You might be surprised how many people would be interested in watching details like that. I follow two machine top and one wainwright channels that do just that (of course, they edit out the repeated parts and speed up the slow stuff) and there are quite a fewother  channels that also do that on Boobtube. It's also educational since a lot of people do not understand how much prep work, jigging, etc. has to be done for even some simple operations.

I agree. Many people do not know what really goes on in a machine shop and how doing precision metal work is different compared to wood working or average DIY. Perhaps a great opportunity for an intro to machining video, as long as its shorter than Taran's 4 hour video editing tutorial. 

41 minutes ago, harryk said:

I...Many people do not know what really goes on in a machine shop and how doing precision metal work is different compared to wood working or average DIY. Perhaps a great opportunity for an intro to machining video, as long as its shorter than Taran's 4 hour video editing tutorial. 

True. A lot of people here are DIYers who build their own computers and even their own cases. There would be plenty of interest on what it takes to create or modify parts.

Jeannie