"AMD needs to stop launching their products on weekends" - LS

MattMatt

https://youtu.be/vf7vT389vVA?t=2099

34:59

Quote from Linus on the WAN show. I'm interested to hear what other think of this.

".... multiple people on staff here, that are being forced to come in on the weekend, in order to get our videos done on time, it's not right, it's not fair, and it's completely unnecessary"

It might be unnecessary from an outsider's perspective but I fail to see how that's AMD's problem, there may be good marketing reasons. What about the many people who are "unfairly forced" to watch LTT live streams at unsocial times... No one is forced, LTT chooses to follow and review other companies, it can't be their problem to fit your timetable. There are benefits and drawbacks in every line of work. 

Maybe AMD wants people to see reviews first in peace on sunday and then rush to stores on monday...

58 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Maybe AMD wants people to see reviews first in peace on sunday and then rush to stores on monday...

In my country offline stores are open on weekends. Online ones don't.

I dont see any problem with them launching on weekends. I have been working weekends for almost 20 years as my job is connected to retail, which in Canada is open 7 days a week so I really dont see it as a big deal.

1 hour ago, MattMatt said:

No one is forced, LTT chooses to follow and review other companies, it can't be their problem to fit your timetable.

AMD benefits from getting coverage by reviewers so it's not like their interests don't align. As for whether they are forced or not - if they don't do it someone else will and not getting the video out quickly can significantly impact their traffic as interest dies down after the first day or two. They aren't forced but they certainly are strongly incentivized.

27 minutes ago, Ravendarat said:

I dont see any problem with them launching on weekends. I have been working weekends for almost 20 years as my job is connected to retail, which in Canada is open 7 days a week so I really dont see it as a big deal.

Retailers expect to be open every weekend so their schedules and work hours are adjusted appropriately, not to mention they can afford a much larger pool of employees to properly cover every shift. Tech reviewers only rarely need to do this and it's overtime work since they already got their hours in during business days.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Totally understand that, my point was its not like this is something that happens every week, so if once or twice a year there is a launch on a weekend I dont think its a hill worth dying on. You bite the bullet and cover it and move on. From AMD standpoint I think a weekend launch is quite smart as its a day off for many people, giving more of your customers the opportunity to get the product you are launching right when the stores open.

Me: Its called a job/career.  I too have to work random weekends at my Corporate job.  I too have to do things I don't want to do for the sake of money.  

I don't understand the comment at all.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

AMD wanted to replace 7nm parts on 7th day of the 7th month... They chose the marketing relevance over the convenience of youtubers.,, Suck it up LTT there's nothing that says YOU HAVE TO RELEASE ON THE SAME DAY, you CHOOSE to do so and acceptt hat you are reliant on THEM and it's NOT THE OTHER WAY ROUND.

Linus complaining about it... to me it's more of a whinge than a legitimate complaint... Get over it.

System 1: Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro, Ryzen 5 2600X, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz, Sapphire 5700XT, 250GB NVME WD Black, 2x Crucial MX5001TB, 2x Seagate 3TB, H115i AIO, Sharkoon BW9000 case with corsair ML fans, EVGA G2 Gold 650W Modular PSU, liteon bluray/dvd/rw.. NO RGB aside from MB and AIO pump. Triple 27" Monitor setup (1x 144hz, 2x 75hz, all freesync/freesync 2)

System 2: Asus M5 MB, AMD FX8350, 16GB DDR3, Sapphire RX580, 30TB of storage, 250GB SSD, Silverstone HTPC chassis, Corsair 550W Modular PSU, Noctua cooler, liteon bluray/dvd/rw, 4K HDR display (Samsung TV)

System 3 & 4: nVidia shield TV (2017 & 2019) Pro with extra 128GB samsung flash drives.

I guess you guys don't really understand the context of the complaint. By Friday we had already done all the work. 

Then on Friday we got an agesa and a driver update so some of my staff would have to stay on the weekend and do it again. 

This isn't the first time. 

We have no problem doing what's necessary to bring you guys the tech news. The issue here is that this was entirely unnecessary and affects far more than just LMG. 

15 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

I guess you guys don't really understand the context of the complaint. By Friday we had already done all the work. 

Then on Friday we got an agesa and a driver update so some of my staff would have to stay on the weekend and do it again. 

We have no problem doing what's necessary to bring you guys the tech news. The issue here is that this was entirely unnecessary and affects far more than just LMG. 

Yeah that's understandable. OP is missing some major context here. AMD is wishing to hype this one up without actually saying a whole lot. My Micro Center run yesterday was a good example of this nonsense, where they're not even supposed to say what's coming. The updates point to two things - rushing to get these updates out on-time as mentioned in the WAN show, and they're simply running behind. OR, their own internal schedule was to release those updates as close as possible to the launch, which is just poor planning.

That being said, I don't believe a Sunday launch is completely unreasonable. They're pushing consumer extremely hard and Sundays are decent shopping days. They're also able to get in with the "just got paid" crowd due to being early in the month AND after a Friday. I'm not saying that they would have any major issues moving a high volume over the course of the first week, but I can see where they can get the most bang for their buck, even if it's seemingly some arbitrary "lol, 7nm, 7/7 release".

As far as the whole "not fair" comments... yeah, that kinda comes off a little "woe is me", but it really breaks down to two different industries (tech news/content and tech industry itself) not being on the same page about stuff like that. It's not unreasonable, just shows that AMD and other tech "giants" miss a piece of the puzzle regularly. LMG and other content creators also need to be on the ball, especially with major releases, where the traffic will be at its peak. Not only does it mean making sure your viewers are right there with you and getting the tech news from you in a reliable manner, but you're not leaking incredibly valuable traffic. This is true for any more specialized content creator/production company. It's simply less of the case when looking at the more consumer named outlets (Engadget, Verge, and the other usual results that consumers come across in google searches), and tech giants have overall been more in touch with them and/or the more cutthroat nature of those outlets don't take into account the personal aspect of a smaller organization like LMG, or even for the 2/3off crews like JayzTwoCents.

Overall, I don't think there's a fault here, and neither side is unreasonable. It simply just sucks that tech giants miss a piece of the puzzle regularly.

There is no spoon.

Get a job LTT! 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I criticise LMG a lot but the one thing LMG have in spades is business acumen and I agree 100% about the Tuesday being a better release day.

Sure they can't expect a huge company to change just for them but that doesn't change the facts…

As an IT Ops dude I occasionally have to work evenings or weekends to run maintenance on critical systems, or to cover for people who were supposed to but couldn't. It isn't ideal & I would greatly prefer not to have it, but it's something I knew about before I started working in the field. 

It isn't ideal but it's totally something I'll kvetch about over a beer just like everyone else who occasionally complains about their job. There's nothing to read between the lines. 

I would agree that Tuesday is a better release day. From the releaser's perspective, it's really nice to be able to have a big event on a standard workday when everybody is at their desk. This is why software firms, gamedevs etc tend to do it. Getting a day 0 patch out is no big deal when you don't have try to wrangle people trying to dodge their phones on their day off. 

Intel 11700K - Gigabyte 3080 Ti- Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro - Sabrent Rocket NVME - Corsair 16GB DDR4

9 hours ago, MattMatt said:

I fail to see how that's AMD's problem

if a reviewer doesn't update his reviews at the last minute with the correct info, then the review will have incorrect info, which is bad for amd.

The issue, as I see it, is not the weekend so much, but being given last minute product changes with only a day or two to update everything in an industry where publishing your work is extremely time crucial.

It would be like anyone's boss asking them to do the days work again 30minutes before knock off so it's ready for the next day.  Only difference being there is no obligation to do it other than losing income from it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 hours ago, LinusTech said:

But 777 is jackpot! Good PR!

Bolivia.

How about they launch a high end product and give the appearance of actually trying to compete with Nvidia?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

You adapt to the industry, the industry doesn't adapt to you LTT. Since who commands 7th day be a day with no product launch? 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

3 hours ago, LinusTech said:

I'd be more annoyed by the last second price change than releasing on a Saturday imo.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

23 minutes ago, wasab said:

You adapt to the industry, the industry doesn't adapt to you LTT. Since who commands 7th day be a day with no product launch? 

Obviously he adapted. He can be angry about it though.

In any segment of life just because you need to deal with hardships, annoyances and handicaps doesn't mean you are not allowed to be angry about them.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

28 minutes ago, wasab said:

Since who commands 7th day be a day with no product launch? 

God did, it's in the Bible. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

32 minutes ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

I'd be more annoyed by the last second price change than releasing on a Saturday imo.

No, I would consider it part of the job. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

46 minutes ago, mr moose said:

The issue, as I see it, is not the weekend so much, but being given last minute product changes with only a day or two to update everything in an industry where publishing your work is extremely time crucial.

It would be like anyone's boss asking them to do the days work again 30minutes before knock off so it's ready for the next day.  Only difference being there is no obligation to do it other than losing income from it.

Well yeah and the weekend is just the cherry on top (IDK about labor laws in Canada but where I live people get paid extra for coming on Sunday)

Also Linus raised some other issues about last minute changes during the weekend which are valid - like prices in retail stores or the simple fact that if some shit hits the fan and something goes wrong you usually have no one to talk to about it until Monday.

Imagine scenario: Linus gets new fresh drivers from AMD on Friday. He needs to scramble a new video and retest shit but can't do it the same day cause he isn't a robot. So he is doing it on Saturday and Sunday. And now something happens - the driver crashes for some reason and is incompatibile with some benchmarks or other shit. So here is Sunday and now he has to wonder whether he even has someone to talk to about those problems or not.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

1 minute ago, Lathlaer said:

Well yeah and the weekend is just the cherry on top (IDK about labor laws in Canada but where I live people get paid extra for coming on Sunday)

Also Linus raised some other issues about last minute changes during the weekend which are valid - like prices in retail stores or the simple fact that if some shit hits the fan and something goes wrong you usually have no one to talk to about it until Monday.

Imagine scenario: Linus gets new fresh drivers from AMD on Friday. He needs to scramble a new video and retest shit but can't do it the same day cause he is a robot. So he is doing it on Saturday and Sunday. And now something happens - the driver crashes for some reason and is incompatibile with some benchmarks or other shit. So here is Sunday and now he has to wonder whether he even has someone to talk to about those problems or not.

I was going to raise the issue of penalty rates on weekends, but to be honest I don't know where I stand on those.