AMD reduces Navi GPU Prices before launch

i think linus said it best on the wan show.

is a pretty big fuck you to stores and reviewers who now have to try and fix their price listings, marking and review videos before sunday meaning people would have to come into work on the weekend that they wouldn't normally have had to.

And all for what? some "gotcha" moment and to poke at Nvidia? this is playground bullshittery at this point

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

8 minutes ago, Arika S said:

is a pretty big fuck you to stores and reviewers who now have to try and fix their price listings, marking and review videos before sunday meaning people would have to come into work on the weekend that they wouldn't normally have had to.

And all for what? some "gotcha" moment and to poke at Nvidia? this is playground bullshittery at this point

I don't even believe AMD set anything up,  this is just business 101 and sometimes companies try to hide their mistakes with stupid comments.  Nvidia have done it before, Intel have done it, apples "it's a feature" was used so often it became a meme.   

Mind you, depending on how the benchmarks actually look, All these "gotchya" comments might end up becoming a meme too.  Remember poor volta? Gotchya.. oh wait... shit....

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

Anyone know if NAVI supports crossfire?

Seen conflicting reports, we'll know more in about 24 hours I imagine.

16 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Nvidia didn't set Super prices until about 48 hours before the Embargo lift. AMD at least did it Wednesday before a Sunday launch.

The next bombshell would be if AMD decided to release new drivers this evening which were not even available for reviewers before with radical performance changes for the 5700 series. I can only imagine the reviewers' reactions who have already spent so much time benchmarking all the new stuff.

Despite all the "hickups" just before launch, I as a customer am still happy as I expect the new products to improve the price/performance ratio in both the GPU and CPU markets.

4 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I don't even believe AMD set anything up,  this is just business 101 and sometimes companies try to hide their mistakes with stupid comments.  Nvidia have done it before, Intel have done it, apples "it's a feature" was used so often it became a meme.   

Mind you, depending on how the benchmarks actually look, All these "gotchya" comments might end up becoming a meme too.  Remember poor volta? Gotchya.. oh wait... shit....

Nvidia is the dominant market player and they didn't set prices until a few days ago. AMD was always going to be responsive, especially as what Nvidia was going to do wasn't likely set in stone until about 2 weeks ago. (Besides, 5700s would have been this price by November anyway, so not much is actually lost on their end.) AMD did take the First Mover action by announcing their pricing a month ago while Nvidia's refresh was incoming.  (Super is just TI models, though Nvidia smartly EOL'd the 2070.)

Though it's not like everyone will have forgotten about this in 2 weeks, but both Nvidia & AMD were making proper business decisions given the market realities & what each company is trying to achieve. Would still like prices to be lower, but GPU prices are far more reasonable next week than they were 2 weeks ago.

Also, "Poor Volta" was actually correct, even if completely off point in the end. Volta never would have worked as a gaming dGPU and Vega ended up selling a lot more (in all areas) than Volta. The Volta-derived Turing ended up coming out okay, though.

2 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

It's €150 cheaper here, 2060 Super starting at €500

May I ask where "here" is? Because I can only find a listing for the 2070 super online and that one starts at 480€

8 hours ago, SupremeGOAT said:

Lower the price of Ryzen 3000. That is what I want

Yea not gonna happen, and thank god its not. AMD can finally get some decent margins and make some money

2 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

It's €150 cheaper here, 2060 Super starting at €500

*flip table*

Fuck it. Pricing is confusing.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

39 minutes ago, COTG said:

Yea not gonna happen, and thank god its not. AMD can finally get some decent margins and make some money

they really need it, we are getting closer to the time where things can go in various directions and they will need the R&D to keep up, new transistors, new packaging, new materials, silicon photonics, things are getting more interesting by the day

3 hours ago, Arika S said:

That's not what he said, what he was mad at is that there was driver updates on Friday which forced him to have employee work on a Saturday to retest the cards to make the Sunday deadline.

A price fix would of taken a hour of real work, a driver update takes nearly a day of work.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

4 hours ago, Medicate said:

May I ask where "here" is? Because I can only find a listing for the 2070 super online and that one starts at 480€

Sweden, who know might have been something strange that day but lookng up the 2060 Super it started at ~€520

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

The latest Gamer's Nexus news wrap up, Steve said that the benchmarks we've seen online make it look like these price drops were necessary. Obviously, he can't talk about his own benchmarks (NDA), but it sounded like he was suggesting that his were mirroring this. 

Feel free to judge for yourself:

I'm not buying the Tweet nonsense at all. They got caught with their pants down by Nvidia willing to push price/performance with Super editions and now are trying to save face as they had to cut their profit margins before even launching the product. 

Also as a publicly traded company, if they actually publicly released fake pricing, duping investors as to the profit potential of the products, they should be investigated by the SEC.

Lol, why is everyone basically freaking out coz they lowered the price before launch? Big freaking deal lol. Why no one looks at this from other perspective, that NVIDIA rushed the "Super" cards as a response to AMD coz the Navi cards were big enough of a threat? But everyone seems to make it like AMD is freaking out. They're not, it's just price adjustment to competition. Isn't that exactly what everyone was asking for? Competition?

8 hours ago, mr moose said:

"It's a feature" or "Less than 1 percent affected" bullshit from Apple.

Poor volta is very childish too. I mean, they run a billionair/millionair company and yet they behave so stupid and childish :/

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

19 hours ago, descendency said:

Hopefully the 5700 XT is more of a 2070 than a 2060 Super, because otherwise you are paying the same price as a 2060 Super for the same performance, minus RTX (which might not many much/anything to you - but you are not getting it in spite of paying the same price)

The leaked benchmark has this as a better than 2070, so that's a good sign. Let's see what reputable reviewers have to say in 2 days.

They paired it against the 2070 and said it was faster so I dont think it is really meant to compete with the 2060 super. 

2 hours ago, CTR640 said:

"It's a feature" or "Less than 1 percent affected" bullshit from Apple.

Poor volta is very childish too. I mean, they run a billionair/millionair company and yet they behave so stupid and childish :/

That's exactly my point,  AMD/Nvidia doing one thing is just business, but all the BS comments after the fact are little more than embarrassing attempt at hiding failure or not accepting responsibility etc.

No one should be sucked into that kind of marketing.  The reality is when Intel lowers the price of their CPU's it's simply because of market demand and stock, when nvidia released the supers it was simply in response to the market. AMD reducing the price of their 5000's is just in response to the market.  There is no subterfuge or carefully structured game of chess. It's just business.

And on top of what I said earlier it looks like steve from GN is hinting at the same reasoning

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

now lets look at it this way, if they announced the lower pricing first and nvidia matched it with super right away (which is pretty reasonable assumption since super is only here to stomp the amd launch), amd would probably have to lower the prices anyway. that would cut into their margins a lot

having the higher price announced and then cutting it after super announcement leaves them with higher margins... so they will probably have upper hand in price/performance, better margin than in first option and if nvidia decides to also cut prices it makes nvidia look terrible

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

I think NVIDIA should learn to do that too...

AMD YES!!!

All I want to do now is to sleep.

14 hours ago, Chett_Manly said:

I'm not buying the Tweet nonsense at all. They got caught with their pants down by Nvidia willing to push price/performance with Super editions and now are trying to save face as they had to cut their profit margins before even launching the product. 

Also as a publicly traded company, if they actually publicly released fake pricing, duping investors as to the profit potential of the products, they should be investigated by the SEC.

Dude, Nvidia teased Super before Computex. Rumors about it have been freely flowing since that time. There is zero chance AMD got caught with their pants down. That said, it is very unlikely that the price was "fake". They knew something was coming, but were in a spot where they needed to make the first move, then wait and see what Nvidia did. When Nvidia made their move, AMD reacted to it. AMD definitely intentionally left themselves some room to maneuver on pricing, but that doesn't make the prices fake. AMD wouldn't have known the pricing on Super, so they had to wait and see what was going on in order to figure out what their next move would be.

1 hour ago, Derangel said:

Dude, Nvidia teased Super before Computex. Rumors about it have been freely flowing since that time. There is zero chance AMD got caught with their pants down. That said, it is very unlikely that the price was "fake". They knew something was coming, but were in a spot where they needed to make the first move, then wait and see what Nvidia did. When Nvidia made their move, AMD reacted to it. AMD definitely intentionally left themselves some room to maneuver on pricing, but that doesn't make the prices fake. AMD wouldn't have known the pricing on Super, so they had to wait and see what was going on in order to figure out what their next move would be.

But it does look like AMD got "caught with their pants down" . Those BS comments of them tricking Nvidia with fake pricing just makes it look worse.  The decision to change the price and pushing out a new driver just a few days before launch make it seem like AMD panicked after seeing how Nvidia Super cards perform.  And AMD didn't want to admit they were forced to react by releasing the cards on a weekday instead, since reviewers that had a video or write up ready during the week have to redo all their benchmarks on a weekend.

On 7/6/2019 at 5:57 AM, MeatFeastMan said:

RX 5700 at $349 still isn't perfect for the midrange, but with a fairly large improvement over the 2060, and with that 8gb VRAM...it's just about bearable. Thanks to AMD for making the right decision. We finally have something to buy in the midrange.

I think it's safe to say that the 2070 Super is pointless now. RX 5700 XT being $100 less while being within touching distance makes it a decent choice.

Don't get me wrong, we still can't really defend the prices. They should STILL be $50 lower and both AMD and Nvidia know darn well what they've done wrong here. But at $349 I think people should be just about able to stomach it given all the benefits over the 2060 that it brings.

The midrange was being sent to the burial site, coffin ready to be placed for July 7th. And thankfully AMD has come to the rescue at the last minute.

And no more of that HBM2 that made it expensive. 

I'm greatly above potato, but I'm getting there...

Midrange Potato LVL 60:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 with Snowman MT-6 Dual Fans (CPU @ 3.8 GHz - 4.375 GHz to 4.5 GHz @ 1.1V - 1.35V),

MOBO: MSI B550-A Pro
GPU: Asrock RX 5600 XT Phantom Gaming D3 (1820MHz core @930mV)

RAM: TeamGroup T-Force Delta DDR4 Gaming 16GB (2x8GB) 3000MHz 16-17-17-37-58 @ 1.35V,

HARD DRIVE: WD 1TB Blue 
SSD: Toshiba XG5 Series NVMe 512GB (KXG50GVN512G) & Crucial MX500 1TB

CASE: DeepCool Kendomen Titanium case
PSU: Corsair RM-750 (2019) 80+ Gold

Display: Asus VP249QGR via HDMI (144Hz)

Keyboard: Generic PS/2 Keyboard

Mouse: Generic Honeycomb 250Hz Mouse
Speakers: Generic Headset

And yes, there are now fans. 5 Arctic P12 PST's

Userbenchmark Run: 
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/25234338 I don't trust that site anymore

43 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

But it does look like AMD got "caught with their pants down" . Those BS comments of them tricking Nvidia with fake pricing just makes it look worse.  The decision to change the price and pushing out a new driver just a few days before launch make it seem like AMD panicked after seeing how Nvidia Super cards perform.  And AMD didn't want to admit they were forced to react by releasing the cards on a weekday instead, since reviewers that had a video or write up ready during the week have to redo all their benchmarks on a weekend.

AMD reps have a bad habit of being "cheeky" on social media and are usually bad at it. Nothing about this looks like anyone getting caught with their pants down or panicking. AMD is neither stupid nor oblivious. They knew the Super cards were coming. What they didn't know was price or performance. They don't have to publicly admit that they're reacting, and it would not benefit them in any way to do so, but it is obvious that the price drop is a reaction to Super. Just as Super's price and embargo date are a reaction to Navi. This is competition working as intended, companies reacting to the moves of their competitors.

1 hour ago, Derangel said:

AMD reps have a bad habit of being "cheeky" on social media and are usually bad at it. Nothing about this looks like anyone getting caught with their pants down or panicking. AMD is neither stupid nor oblivious. They knew the Super cards were coming. What they didn't know was price or performance. They don't have to publicly admit that they're reacting, and it would not benefit them in any way to do so, but it is obvious that the price drop is a reaction to Super. Just as Super's price and embargo date are a reaction to Navi. This is competition working as intended, companies reacting to the moves of their competitors.

And it’s not exactly rocket science that a RTX refresh was around the corner. These cards had been out a while.