Mobile gaming for daughter.

DVA

Hey guys! I would like some suggestions for mobile gaming for my daughter. For the most part she just plays Pokemon GO on it. She's 7. I would also like it to be mobile because I know she doesn't always want to listen to my music, so letting her have some freedom of choice is good. 

(before anyone leaves negative feedback for letting a child get a tablet, I limit her on her usage and when I say time's up, time is up)

I'm thinking of setting my price cap at $300 and hoping for it to last the next two years or so. 

Used/refurbished is an option and older generation suggestions should last for the next two years or so. 

Thanks for any help

iPad Mini/Air and a thicc case maybe?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

iPad Mini/Air and a thicc case maybe?

Sure, which model do you recommend? I'm not really in the Apple ecosystem so I don't know much about their products other than the phones. 

Thanks for the thicc case suggestions =P   My daughter actually takes care of her stuff, surprisingly 

7 hours ago, DVA said:

Sure, which model do you recommend? I'm not really in the Apple ecosystem so I don't know much about their products other than the phones. 

Thanks for the thicc case suggestions =P   My daughter actually takes care of her stuff, surprisingly 

I don't know much about Apple stuff either, lol. I would say "just get the latest one you can in your budget", but I'd see what @DrMacintosh has to say.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

12 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I don't know much about Apple stuff either, lol. I would say "just get the latest one you can in your budget", but I'd see what @DrMacintosh has to say.

all hail @DrMacintosh

May I have a suggestion or two within my budget all mighty Apple-user

The $329 iPad? 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

The $329 iPad? 

Is that off of Amazon? And which model? Sorry, when I google or Amazon it, it just says "newest model", not like iPad air 2 for example

51 minutes ago, DVA said:

Is that off of Amazon? And which model? Sorry, when I google or Amazon it, it just says "newest model", not like iPad air 2 for example

Its the iPad 7,5. Model number A1893. Commonly called the iPad 9.7"

Has 264ppi, Apple Pencil support, the A10 Fusion with 2GB of RAM. It's a fantastic device. 

They have them on Amazon right now for $250. That's a good deal!

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-iPad-WiFi-Space-Model/dp/B07BTS2B1L/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1543515193&sr=8-3&keywords=2018+iPad&th=1&linkCode=sl1&tag=reality&linkId=e1ef4dbe16ac0561754ce5f0b97c71d6&language=en_US

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

On 7/5/2019 at 2:23 PM, DrMacintosh said:

Its the iPad 7,5. Model number A1893. Commonly called the iPad 9.7"

Has 264ppi, Apple Pencil support, the A10 Fusion with 2GB of RAM. It's a fantastic device. 

They have them on Amazon right now for $250. That's a good deal!

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-iPad-WiFi-Space-Model/dp/B07BTS2B1L/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1543515193&sr=8-3&keywords=2018+iPad&th=1&linkCode=sl1&tag=reality&linkId=e1ef4dbe16ac0561754ce5f0b97c71d6&language=en_US

The wifi model actually seems to be a great value! The cellular model however, $380 is above my budget for now. I thank you very much for your suggestion!

On 7/5/2019 at 9:59 AM, DVA said:

Hey guys! I would like some suggestions for mobile gaming for my daughter. For the most part she just plays Pokemon GO on it. She's 7. I would also like it to be mobile because I know she doesn't always want to listen to my music, so letting her have some freedom of choice is good. 

(before anyone leaves negative feedback for letting a child get a tablet, I limit her on her usage and when I say time's up, time is up)

I'm thinking of setting my price cap at $300 and hoping for it to last the next two years or so. 

Used/refurbished is an option and older generation suggestions should last for the next two years or so. 

Thanks for any help

there is also the option of running something like bluestacks on a pc, it can play all the mobile games much faster and better than any tablet or phone,unless the pc is poo lol,but for on the go i used a galaxy note 9 for along time and love that thing.

I dunno if my negative opinion is solicited. But mobile games are the worst. Even Pokémon Go. Mobile games are predatory AF with their Free to Play, Pay to progress faster and win more often structure. Maybe it’s not so bad for a kid because they don’t have money. But imagine them fantasizing over having a credit card which can uplift all of the in-game hurdles. That feeling will never leave them, even when they’re 40. 

For the love of everything holy, please don’t get your kid hooked on F2P mobile games. Get them a Nintendo instead. At least the games are complete out of the box. You don’t have to spend $$$ to overcome hurdles. Sure, there will be a few DLCs but they’re not necessary. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2019 at 5:18 PM, kokakolia said:

I dunno if my negative opinion is solicited. But mobile games are the worst. Even Pokémon Go. Mobile games are predatory AF with their Free to Play, Pay to progress faster and win more often structure. Maybe it’s not so bad for a kid because they don’t have money. But imagine them fantasizing over having a credit card which can uplift all of the in-game hurdles. That feeling will never leave them, even when they’re 40. 

For the love of everything holy, please don’t get your kid hooked on F2P mobile games. Get them a Nintendo instead. At least the games are complete out of the box. You don’t have to spend $$$ to overcome hurdles. Sure, there will be a few DLCs but they’re not necessary. 

I mean so do most ea and free to plays on the pc.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

• 4 weeks later...

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

On 7/12/2019 at 3:18 PM, kokakolia said:

Given our own experiences here, I'm really tempted to agree. Suggesting my parents to get my youngest sister a tablet was probably one of my bigger regrets in life for quite some time.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…