Plug and play ?

Hello all I am a bit new to nas I mostly have been working off flash-drives and portable hard drives. Now I found myself in a situation where my files are just a mess cause they are ether on my laptop, home pc or ofice pc XD
I have millions of copies of the same files ... Its a mess

I am looking for a nas that I can access remotely from anywhere. Something plug and play. I dont really want to mess with it to much...

I only need like 8 tb and I have that installed in my office pc

Files I am working with are: videos, InDesign, Photoshop pretty much anything design related

My budget is about 250 for this but again I know very little about this so keep this in mind cause I am willing to pay 300 if I need to

I was looking at :

https://www.amazon.com/TerraMaster-Transcoding-Personal-Storage-Diskless/dp/B07PWDTBJ6/ref=sr_1_17?keywords=Nas&qid=1562105957&s=gateway&sr=8-17

https://www.newegg.com/qnap-ts-431p-us/p/N82E16822107533?Description=Nas&cm_re=Nas-_-22-107-533-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/terra-master-88104-6/p/14P-006A-00002?Description=Nas&cm_re=Nas-_-9SIAA3N4SP2188-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/p/14P-006A-00021?Description=Nas&cm_re=Nas-_-9SIAA3N9BH7929-_-Product

Can you guys please recommend something that would work for me ?
also there's not going to be a lot of traffic on this its mostly me and maybe 2 other people from time to time but mostly me

Thanks for posting :)

I wouldn't touch ANY of those TerraMaster boxes with a 20 foot pole. All their products are full of lies and most of the 5-star "reviews" contradict everything in the product description like saying the RAM is not expandable but then several 5-star reviews say they can expand the RAM with ease. Additionally, anyone that claims an ARM CPU can transcode 4K 30FPS footage in Plex is full of garbage. I know that's not what you'll be doing from your post but it's just one of many red flags in the first one alone and the others seem to follow a similar pattern.

The QNAP is your best bet, or if you can find a similarly priced Synology NAS. I would buy direct from the "Sold By Newegg" listing down the page for $3 more on the QNAP. I've seen too many of those "Direct from Asia" deals turn out to be scams or junk, not saying they all are but the first listing at $250.00 isn't sold by Newegg directly but via the marketplace, they only serve as the shippers, and I wouldn't gamble on it over $3. Plus different return policies are used via the marketplace as well iirc.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

The QNAP TS-431P is a good choice, tried and true for home users ?

Keep in mind the disks will need to be formatted when putting it in the NAS

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

3 hours ago, Jarsky said:

The QNAP TS-431P is a good choice, tried and true for home users ?

Keep in mind the disks will need to be formatted when putting it in the NAS

10 hours ago, Lurick said:

The QNAP is your best bet,

wait ?!! for real ? I cant plug in a drive and go ? it has no windows on it just files

wait ?!! for real ? I cant plug in a drive and go ? it has no windows on it just files
What if I would want some upgradability  ?

7 minutes ago, max668 said:

The NAS like with basically any off the shelf unit, is the EXT4 filesystem.

Any data drive you're currently using in your Windows PC will be NTFS filesystem so will need to be formatted which will destroy any data. 

So you may need to adjust for another drive in your budget, unless you have someone with enough space you can dump your data onto. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

7 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

The NAS like with basically any off the shelf unit, is the EXT4 filesystem.

Any data drive you're currently using in your Windows PC will be NTFS filesystem so will need to be formatted which will destroy any data. 

So you may need to adjust for another drive in your budget, unless you have someone with enough space you can dump your data onto. 

Is there a NAS that I could buy and upgrade it down the line with more ram or is this enough ?
Can I work off of the server ?

I ask Cause I dont know what is good for me.
I have another drive laying around .. but thats good info Thank you

4 minutes ago, max668 said:

Is there a NAS that I could buy and upgrade it down the line with more ram or is this enough ?
Can I work off of the server ?

I ask Cause I dont know what is good for me.
I have another drive laying around .. but thats good info Thank you

No the ram isn't upgradable on the P series, but there is plenty of Ram for using it as storage and maybe a container/docker app or 2. 

You should really just be using it as storage, and doing all your work from the PC/Laptop

Spoiler

Spoiler

how fast is your internet connection? if you access the files on the go your upload speed will be your limiting factor

On 7/6/2019 at 3:05 AM, Pixel5 said:

how fast is your internet connection? if you access the files on the go your upload speed will be your limiting factor

its standard

10 minutes ago, max668 said:

its standard

there is no standard for internet connection speeds, id consider this standard

8399026496.png

go to 

https://www.speedtest.net

and post the result

6 minutes ago, max668 said:

the important part for what you want to do is your upload speed and this is on an OK level id say.

keep in mind that any file you access from outside your home will need to go through that upload, you can expect about 4.5 megabytes per second of transfer speed which is enough for most small files and pictures but will take ages for large video files.

7 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

the important part for what you want to do is your upload speed and this is on an OK level id say.

keep in mind that any file you access from outside your home will need to go through that upload, you can expect about 4.5 megabytes per second of transfer speed which is enough for most small files and pictures but will take ages for large video files.

are you saying its not worth it for me ?

2 hours ago, max668 said:

are you saying its not worth it for me ?

it depends, i got my synology at home and regularly use it from the outside with my upload speed only slightly higher than yours.

if you want to use it for sitting in a cafe and working off video files stored on your NAS it will probably not work for you.

But if you want to use it as a backup solution with the option to access files if needed and often work with photos it should work just fine.

a NAS is an awesome solution for file storage and having everything in one place will probably help you keep it organized but it sounds like for you it will not fully replace an external HDD you may need to take on the go.

i had a similar situation regarding photos that i had multiple times and now have everything in one place and also have the NAS setup to sync all pictures to my amazon drive as a 2nd backup.

On 7/5/2019 at 5:39 AM, max668 said:

Hello all I am a bit new to nas I mostly have been working off flash-drives and portable hard drives. Now I found myself in a situation where my files are just a mess cause they are ether on my laptop, home pc or ofice pc XD
I have millions of copies of the same files ... Its a mess

I am looking for a nas that I can access remotely from anywhere. Something plug and play. I dont really want to mess with it to much...

I only need like 8 tb and I have that installed in my office pc

Files I am working with are: videos, InDesign, Photoshop pretty much anything design related

My budget is about 250 for this but again I know very little about this so keep this in mind cause I am willing to pay 300 if I need to

I was looking at :

https://www.amazon.com/TerraMaster-Transcoding-Personal-Storage-Diskless/dp/B07PWDTBJ6/ref=sr_1_17?keywords=Nas&qid=1562105957&s=gateway&sr=8-17

https://www.newegg.com/qnap-ts-431p-us/p/N82E16822107533?Description=Nas&cm_re=Nas-_-22-107-533-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/terra-master-88104-6/p/14P-006A-00002?Description=Nas&cm_re=Nas-_-9SIAA3N4SP2188-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/p/14P-006A-00021?Description=Nas&cm_re=Nas-_-9SIAA3N9BH7929-_-Product

Can you guys please recommend something that would work for me ?
also there's not going to be a lot of traffic on this its mostly me and maybe 2 other people from time to time but mostly me

Thanks for posting :)

if you have an old pc you can use freenas (has a GUI and is easy to setup) or you can buy on dirt cheap on ebay, gumtree etc. How many clients are going to be acessing it simultaneously? If your encoding you need at least a 1Gbs or it will be to slow. HDDs are cheap, but make sure they are not overused ( make sure there from reputable brand, samsung, seagate etc). To acess it anywhere you will need to setup FTP or SFTP (there r not hard) but you will need to forward ports (varies from router to router). There are heaps of tutorials on yt. Also consider you internet connection to the outside world. Anything less than 50Mbs will feel slow. 

Technology is NEVER easy :(

25 minutes ago, Pixel5 said:

it depends, i got my synology at home and regularly use it from the outside with my upload speed only slightly higher than yours.

if you want to use it for sitting in a cafe and working off video files stored on your NAS it will probably not work for you.

But if you want to use it as a backup solution with the option to access files if needed and often work with photos it should work just fine.

a NAS is an awesome solution for file storage and having everything in one place will probably help you keep it organized but it sounds like for you it will not fully replace an external HDD you may need to take on the go.

i had a similar situation regarding photos that i had multiple times and now have everything in one place and also have the NAS setup to sync all pictures to my amazon drive as a 2nd backup.

You also need to consider the speed of the internet you are using to connect to your NAS at home. This could slow it down further. 

5 hours ago, Trilex said:

How many clients are going to be acessing it simultaneously?

just me and at times some of my team but 95% of the time its just me

I was going to buy https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GTD3AR2/ref=crt_ewc_title_oth_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1LVMHJ3R37E4B

Ive looked at tutorials. But if you could link me to a really good one u know of I would appreciate it

Something you may want to know is that there are storage devices designed to support hardcore writings on a daily basis, this IronWolf is an option that is very close to the business level ones, such as the Seagate® Exos™ enterprise hard drives:

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

11 hours ago, max668 said:

just me and at times some of my team but 95% of the time its just me

I was going to buy https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GTD3AR2/ref=crt_ewc_title_oth_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1LVMHJ3R37E4B

Ive looked at tutorials. But if you could link me to a really good one u know of I would appreciate it

i would look into buying smaller size drives like 5x2TB drives and using them in raid 5. Buying 1 big 8TB drive is risky and provides no redundancy if it were to fail your data is gone and its not coming back. 

If your on a budget and aren't doing this for fun, I'd recommend you get a cloud hosted service of some kind. Unless you have lightning fast internet and some cash...