Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ScootsMcgoots

Seemingly unsolvable rare Ryzen issue

Posted · Original PosterOP

Please read the the whole post before replying ; After 2 months of troubleshooting, I hate to admit it but I'm thinking of switching back to Intel evne though it's not nearly as cost effective as AMD and doesn't provide the upgrade path of AM4. If you want video example of my issue and a post that explains it in depth, take a look at this post from another Ryzen user, his issues match mine to a tee https://community.amd.com/thread/238265 . Games will stutter and hitch, any telemetry reporting software will show a CPU spike in latency, then  the GPU  lagging behind as a result; if the CPU latency is intense enough, the GPU driver will hang for too long and be crashed by windows. As he mentions, Doom runs flawlessly, which I attribute to the Vulkan API as the CPU latency times are much lower for me when compared to running it in OpenGL mode.

Just like him, I've tried countless remedies, from the obvious ones (trying different hardware under clocking, reinstalling drivers etc ) to obscure things like registry edits , the issue still persists and it's getting pretty old tbh. I understand its not 100% AMD, Microsoft Nvidia's fault, it's probably just some obscure bug in how their drivers interact. Still, it's the most off putting experience ever. As a Computer Science student, I've only barely begun to scratch the surface on software engineering/ design and I can't imagine how complex the aforementioned companies products are. It's actually quite amazing our PC's usually work fine in such a crowded environment like windows, where countless entities are competing over resources, dozens of different frameworks designed by different development teams. Still, it seems I've come across the most benign and annoying bug one could hope for, one that no one has the solution to.

CPU: i7 3770 ( Cooled by H60)  GPU: GTX 970 STRIX  RAM16gb Hyperx fury 1600mhz ( 8GBx2)  MOBO: Asus P8Z77M  PSU: Corsair AX 760 Case: Corsair 350D    Storage: Kingston 240gb 3k SSD,  4 TB WD Red , 1TB segate HDD     Mouse: Logitech G pro Keyboard:Logitech G pro    Headphones: Sennheiser HD598 SE  DAC/AMP: Fiio EK10 Microphone: Blue Yeti

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

Not even the classic "reinstall" windows did the trick?

No, sadly his post only gives me comfort in that fact that someone else shares the pain, he's been troubleshooting this for OVER A YEAR!!!

CPU: i7 3770 ( Cooled by H60)  GPU: GTX 970 STRIX  RAM16gb Hyperx fury 1600mhz ( 8GBx2)  MOBO: Asus P8Z77M  PSU: Corsair AX 760 Case: Corsair 350D    Storage: Kingston 240gb 3k SSD,  4 TB WD Red , 1TB segate HDD     Mouse: Logitech G pro Keyboard:Logitech G pro    Headphones: Sennheiser HD598 SE  DAC/AMP: Fiio EK10 Microphone: Blue Yeti

10 minutes ago, ScootsMcgoots said:

N

So you are skipping to 9th gen instead of trying 3rd gen?

Edit: ive got 2 candidates for whats wrong, but you know. They are both hardware related.

Edit2: there is a likelyhood its the mobo, a lot of issues originated from bad B350 motherboards. Especially of the B350 MSI variety.

Then there is a possibility of a partially corrupted drive, though less likely if ot persisted through windows installs

Does the CPU load increase when having those stutterings? What is you setup and bios version, drivers version, etc. The more info we get the better we can help you.

Not having the same problems but in my experience, my Ryzen system tends to exhibit weirder behavior than my Intel systems do.

My System: i7-8700k 5.0ghz All-core delidded @1.365v // Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi // Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 // 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 // XFX Radeon RX 5700 XT RAW II // NZXT S340 White // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w // Intel 660P 1TB NVME M.2 SSD/1TB Samsung 860 EVO/1TB 2.5" HGST HDD // Displays: ASUS VG248QE/Acer K242HYL/Acer K242HYL // Corsair K68 Mechanical Keyboard - Logitech G502 // Corsair H70 Gaming Headset

Wife's System: i7-8700 4.4ghz All-core // Arctic Freezer 33 // Gigabyte Z390M Gaming // 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 // Sapphire Vega 64 // Thermaltake Versa H17 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w // 1TB Samsung 860 EVO/500GB Silicon Power A55/4TB Western Digital HDD // Displays: ASUS VG245H/ASUS VP248Q // Corsair K68 Mechanical Keyboard // Logitech G602

TV Gamer: Ryzen 5 1600 4.0ghz All-core @1.425v // Wraith PRISM // Gigabyte B450 Aorus M // 16GB GeIL DDR4 3200 // Sapphire Vega 56 // Thermaltake Versa H17 // Corsair Vengeance Silver 650W // 120GB Sandisk SSD/120GB PNY CS900/4TB Western Digital Blue // Display: 50" Westinghouse 1080p // Rii Wireless Mini Keyboard w/Touchpad/Xbox One Controllers

Son's System: i5-9400 4.0ghz All-core // Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi // ASRock Z370 Extreme 4 // 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDr4 3200 // ASUS Radeon RX 580 4GB // NZXT S340 Black // Seasonic S12II 620w Bronze // 525GB Crucial MX300/500GB Wester Digital Blue // Display: Dell P2417H - Eagletech KG010 Mechanical Keyboard // Logitech G203

Daughter's System: i3-8350k 4.0ghz all-core // Cooler Master i71c // MSI H310M Pro VDH-Plus // 16GB T-Force Vulkan 2666 (2400) // ASUS RX 570 4GB // DarkFlash Micro ATX White // Corsair CX550 // 480GB PNY CS1311 SSD // Display: Scepter 20" 1080p - Logitech Keyboard and Mouse

6 minutes ago, Mathieu9836 said:

Does the CPU load increase when having those stutterings? What is you setup and bios version, drivers version, etc. The more info we get the better we can help you.

Updated to the newest bios. Here are the specs:

Ryzen 2700x

Noctua NH-D15

Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ F4 3200 C16D (ON MOBO QVL!!)

Kingston 240gb SSD 

1TB 7200RPM HDD 

Asus rog strix X470 F Gaming

EVGA GTX 1080 FTW

Fractal Design Meshify C

Corsair AX 760.

The cpu sometimes stutters in games that under utilize the CPU (idk if it's actually under utilization, idk what utilization on a 2700x should look like). Fortnite and PUBG barely use up 37% of cpu  when viewed in task manager while i'm playing the game, the task manager sits on my second monitor.

For those who are curious, here's the moment of disaster when viewed from a Fortnite crash log lol

fortniteCrashXd.PNG

25 minutes ago, ScootsMcgoots said:

Kingston 240gb SSD 

1TB 7200RPM HDD 

Its a really stupid thing to ask, but how does it fair if you load up windows on the HDD instead?

The low end kingston isnt exactly known to be the greatest of all time

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Its a really stupid thing to ask, but how does it fair if you load up windows on the HDD instead?

The low end kingston isnt exactly known to be the greatest of all time

Idk, I did load Ubuntu onto the HDD and it seemed fine, but that's a completely different OS anyway.

20 minutes ago, ScootsMcgoots said:

Idk, I did load Ubuntu onto the HDD and it seemed fine, but that's a completely different OS anyway.

Try loading Windows onto it. Perhaps pick up a 20$ SSD to check. Something else than a kingston. A bx drive from crucial or inland drive

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

Try loading Windows onto it. Perhaps pick up a 20$ SSD to check. Something else than a kingston. A bx drive from crucial or inland drive

tbh ill just pickup this crucial M.2 since it's cheap https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J2Q4SWZ/?coliid=I2OWQF2FNG4KX5&colid=2EXGNSSUT1XJC&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

1 hour ago, ScootsMcgoots said:

For those who are curious, here's the moment of disaster when viewed from a Fortnite crash log lol

fortniteCrashXd.PNG

Look like a DX11, GPU or PCIe lane to CPU issue 😕

Is your RAM installed into slots A2 and B2?  And can you post a screenshot of Ryzen Timing Checker please?

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-timing-checker/

AMD Ryzen 2700X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  | G.SKILL TridentZ 3636MHz 14-15-14-28 2x8GB  | EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3  | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

27 minutes ago, nick name said:

Is your RAM installed into slots A2 and B2?  And can you post a screenshot of Ryzen Timing Checker please?

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-timing-checker/

Well the timings and voltage are absolutely what they are supposed to be at XMP, also this specific ram kit is on the Mobo QVL. I have tried the ram at 2133 mhz and it still stutters etc.

21 minutes ago, ScootsMcgoots said:

Well the timings and voltage are absolutely what they are supposed to be at XMP, also this specific ram kit is on the Mobo QVL. I have tried the ram at 2133 mhz and it still stutters etc.

Ok, well that didn't answer my question on the RAM slots and the screenshot is to see what your motherboard sets all your timings to.  If you can run XMP then I would assume they are in the correct slots, but it doesn't hurt to double check.  And if you don't think it will help to check what your other timings are then I understand, but if you want to try to rule everything else out then yeah.  

AMD Ryzen 2700X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  | G.SKILL TridentZ 3636MHz 14-15-14-28 2x8GB  | EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3  | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

20 minutes ago, nick name said:

Ok, well that didn't answer my question on the RAM slots and the screenshot is to see what your motherboard sets all your timings to.  If you can run XMP then I would assume they are in the correct slots, but it doesn't hurt to double check.  And if you don't think it will help to check what your other timings are then I understand, but if you want to try to rule everything else out then yeah.  

Yes lol they are in those aforementioned slots, keep in mind I have been troubleshooting this for literally 2 months so i exhausted most of the basic solutions. A month ago I used ryzen mem checker to adjust the memory timings to what it suggested (I followed a tutorial), it did nothing.

1 hour ago, ScootsMcgoots said:

Yes lol they are in those aforementioned slots, keep in mind I have been troubleshooting this for literally 2 months so i exhausted most of the basic solutions. A month ago I used ryzen mem checker to adjust the memory timings to what it suggested (I followed a tutorial), it did nothing.

Well sheet.  

Did you download Ryzen Timing Checker when you went through all that?  

12 hours ago, nick name said:

Well sheet.  

Yes, do you think this is specifically how ryzen and nvidia software components in particular are interacting with eachother? Cause I really wish I had a spare amd video card to test this out with.

12 hours ago, nick name said:

Well sheet.  

Also sadly the other user I was talking about who has the same issue posted how they use ryzen timing checker and I didn't help. I really don't understand this problem...

56 minutes ago, ScootsMcgoots said:

Yes, do you think this is specifically how ryzen and nvidia software components in particular are interacting with eachother? Cause I really wish I had a spare amd video card to test this out with.

No, I don't think that they are conflicting.  I'm just still curious about your timings.  I've had timings that were too low, but stable and they only posed problems while gaming.  

Honestly, I chose RAM as my focus in your troubleshooting endeavor as someone else chose your SSD.  Just trying to makes sure we get all your bases covered.  Fresh eyes and what not.