Inconsistency in Cherry MX Red Switches.

MaximumSid
Go to solution Solved by seon123,

Why would you expect them to be completely consistent? According to Cherry themselves, its 45cN +-15cN.

https://www.cherrymx.de/_Resources/Persistent/fd0f4073283c9ae3f5d3721c0072a46452858ed3/EN_CHERRY_MX_RED.pdf

Have you experienced inconsistency in Cherry MX Switches between different keyboards?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Have you experienced inconsistency in actuation force in Cherry MX Switches between different keyboards?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Haven't tried multiple keyboards with the same switch.

Okay so I really think that Cherry MX switches between different keyboards do not require identical force to be pressed.

The first Cherry MX Red keyboard I got was Gigabyte Force K83, which had switches that were 'light' to press (will get to why I am mentioning 'light' here)

Then my second Keyboard was a HyperX Alloy RGB Elite, which also had Cherry MX Reds, but these required more force to press than my Gigabyte keyboard, so I thought maybe its the keycaps. But this keyboard developed some issues later on, so had to be sent to service center for replacement.

The replacement unit I got had Cherry MX Red switches that are very noticeably lighter to press than the defective unit I sent for replacement.

Then I also got a Asus ROG Stix Flare RGB, and I have two of these keyboards in front of me, and the ROG Strix Flare has smoother switches than the HyperX Keyboard, and require noticeably more force to activate, even though both are Cherry MX Reds, and should require identical actuation force.

So all of these 4 keyboards have a difference in the force required to press the key, even though all are Cherry MX Reds, and two of the keyboards were even of the same model.

So have you had similar experience between different keyboards with the same switch? I am quite confused about why this is happening.

Well obviously no 2 keys can be the same, but each switch should feel nearly identical. Implementations of the switch can feel different, as my HyperX cherry red keyboard feels great while my friends G.skill has much more wobble and inconsistency.

5 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Why would you expect them to be completely consistent? According to Cherry themselves, its 45cN +-15cN.

https://www.cherrymx.de/_Resources/Persistent/fd0f4073283c9ae3f5d3721c0072a46452858ed3/EN_CHERRY_MX_RED.pdf

Totally didn't know that, that's a pretty big range for error, so does that mean that two switches could have a difference of as much as 30 cN? like that would mean that one switch requires almost twice as much force (in extreme cases).

On 7/5/2019 at 2:50 AM, MaximumSid said:

Totally didn't know that, that's a pretty big range for error, so does that mean that two switches could have a difference of as much as 30 cN? like that would mean that one switch requires almost twice as much force (in extreme cases).

There was a time where cherry messed up bad and they shipped silent black switches with red springs, but cherry in general is pretty consistent, consistently mediocre