Ir Filter and it’s effects

So I am currently setting up a DIY home security system, I have a phone in the lounge room and I want it to have night vision. I have a LOT of questions 

-what happens if you don’t take out the ir filter in the phones camera 

-if you do take it out, will videos look the same during the day or washed 

-what is the difference in the night vision between the filter being in or taken out 

-how many ir leds will you need to light up a room full of inferred about 15m from the camera 

-does shining ir light onto objects during the day affect the look of videos in the day (washed, normal, blurry) 

-is there a way to get around ir light bouncing of glass 

-are other cameras going to be affected at day or night? 
-how do you know if your phone has a ir filter in the first place? 

Thank you for any help 

Technology is NEVER easy :(

It sounds to me like you're reading a guide and have questions about the guide, but you have not provided us with a link to the said guide.

It would be very helpful if you could post the guide you're following.

7 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

It sounds to me like you're reading a guide and have questions about the guide, but you have not provided us with a link to the said guide.

It would be very helpful if you could post the guide you're following.

Sorry, my bad

https://www.instructables.com/id/Make-Night-Vision-Camera-From-Old-Smartphone-/

video For the link above 

22 minutes ago, Trilex said:

So I am currently setting up a DIY home security system, I have a phone in the lounge room and I want it to have night vision. I have a LOT of questions 

-what is the difference in the night vision between the filter being in or taken out 

-how many ir leds will you need to light up a room full of inferred about 15m from the camera 

-does shining ir light onto objects during the day affect the look of videos in the day (washed, normal, blurry) 

Thank you for any help 

https://www.lightinthebox.com/en/p/infrared-48-led-illuminator-board-plate-for-3-6mm-lens-cctv-security-camera_p237715.html?currency=AUD&litb_from=paid_adwords_shopping&country_code=au&utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&adword_mt=&adword_ct=200054062031&adword_kw=&adword_pos=1o2&adword_pl=&adword_net=g&adword_tar=&adw_src_id=7679541699_854886665_45906823560_pla-323363797102&gclid=CjwKCAjwx_boBRA9EiwA4kIELrxfTEVTEZmZqJ3ArF_efJqDO-Fle_Z2TbhkFQHyMrykZ7YPb8qC3xoCM2sQAvD_BwE

Would something like that work as it has an ldr, which I assume it turns on only when it’s dark? Could this work with or without the ir filter? 

Thanks

16 minutes ago, Trilex said:

First of all, are you even sure that your camera has an IR filter to begin with?

Anyway, if you want to be able to record in the dark and plan on using IR light to flood the scene, then not removing any potential IR filter will dramatically reduce the visibility in low light.

Think of it like this, if you rely on IR to see in the dark, and you filter out the IR, what are you left with? Darkness.

18 minutes ago, Trilex said:

It will most likely look a bit off in terms of colors. Kind of like if you put a purple filter over your camera. That's because the blue and red channels in the camera will pick up interference from infrared light more than the green channel, and thus the green channel will be less pronounce.

But the overall effect on the image depends on what you take a picture of and how much IR light is in your surrounding. For example an object which is highly reflective of IR light will appear brighter than non-reflective items. It also depends on how well your camera adjusts the white balance, or what it is set to to begin with. You might notice very little difference, or it might be a huge difference.

22 minutes ago, Trilex said:

Depends on the camera and what method you plan on using to film in the dark. If your plan is to use IR light to light up the scene then having the filter still inside (assuming your device has one to begin with) will make the scene a lot darker than if you take it out.

Having the filter in the camera is like wearing sunglasses inside. Everything becomes really dark. Taking the filter out is like taking off the sunglasses. (again, assuming you plan on using IR light as the light source, which you haven't told us).

24 minutes ago, Trilex said:

That's like asking how many light bulbs are needed to light a room. It depends on how much light each LED emits (varies from model to model), how bright you want the scene and also things like how reflective the things you want to see are. I think you will need some trial and error to get a good answer.

26 minutes ago, Trilex said:

Not if you use a camera which filters out IR light. If you use an unfiltered camera, that happens to not automatically compensate by doing things like adjust white balance, and shine IR light on an object being filmed then yes, it will affect the look.

28 minutes ago, Trilex said:

No. That's just how the physics work.

Other light, like that in the visible spectrum, is not as affected by glass though. So if you use that as your light source glass won't be as much of an issue.

30 minutes ago, Trilex said:

Affected by what exactly? The IR light? Depends on the other cameras, how they work and operate.

They might be slightly affected, but they might not be.

31 minutes ago, Trilex said:

You could try shining an IR light into the camera and see if it's picked up. For example turn off all the lights in your room, start the camera app, point the remote towards your camera and then press some button. If you see the IR light from the remote, then your camera is picking up IR light.

25 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

You could try shining an IR light into the camera and see if it's picked up. For example turn off all the lights in your room, start the camera app, point the remote towards your camera and then press some button. If you see the IR light from the remote, then your camera is picking up IR light.

If It does see it does that mean there is a filter or not. Btw I am planning to use the ir leds in the link below. Would it work. And can I use multiple of them in different locations. 

https://www.lightinthebox.com/en/p/infrared-48-led-illuminator-board-plate-for-3-6mm-lens-cctv-security-camera_p237715.html?currency=AUD&litb_from=paid_adwords_shopping&country_code=au&utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&adword_mt=&adword_ct=200054062031&adword_kw=&adword_pos=1o2&adword_pl=&adword_net=g&adword_tar=&adw_src_id=7679541699_854886665_45906823560_pla-323363797102&gclid=CjwKCAjwx_boBRA9EiwA4kIELrxfTEVTEZmZqJ3ArF_efJqDO-Fle_Z2TbhkFQHyMrykZ7YPb8qC3xoCM2sQAvD_BwE

12 hours ago, Trilex said:

13 hours ago, LAwLz said:

First of all, are you even sure that your camera has an IR filter to begin with?

Anyway, if you want to be able to record in the dark and plan on using IR light to flood the scene, then not removing any potential IR filter will dramatically reduce the visibility in low light.

Think of it like this, if you rely on IR to see in the dark, and you filter out the IR, what are you left with? Darkness.

It will most likely look a bit off in terms of colors. Kind of like if you put a purple filter over your camera. That's because the blue and red channels in the camera will pick up interference from infrared light more than the green channel, and thus the green channel will be less pronounce.

But the overall effect on the image depends on what you take a picture of and how much IR light is in your surrounding. For example an object which is highly reflective of IR light will appear brighter than non-reflective items. It also depends on how well your camera adjusts the white balance, or what it is set to to begin with. You might notice very little difference, or it might be a huge difference.

Depends on the camera and what method you plan on using to film in the dark. If your plan is to use IR light to light up the scene then having the filter still inside (assuming your device has one to begin with) will make the scene a lot darker than if you take it out.

Having the filter in the camera is like wearing sunglasses inside. Everything becomes really dark. Taking the filter out is like taking off the sunglasses. (again, assuming you plan on using IR light as the light source, which you haven't told us).

https://www.banggood.com/VIKCONN-1080P-Full-HD-Security-Camera-Video-Surveillance-Camera-2_0MP-Weather-Proof-Full-Metal-CCTV-p-1255971.html?rmmds=search&ID=533179&cur_warehouse=CN

This camera above says it has night vision capabilities of the 66feet/20m and in the picture below it shows it still has the ir filter. Is the possible? Does that mean I don’t need to take mine out of my phone camera and it will still work? 

And even this one as well has a ir cut ?

https://buydirectonline.com.au/ul-tech-1080p-wireless-security-camera-system-ip-cctv?gclid=CjwKCAjwx_boBRA9EiwA4kIELnoIBZNvEZqWSl9BeNklC1oY6TpE7hXVsfNZEFm5g6rxmnE0U2jKohoCqqkQAvD_BwE

Thanks 

image.jpeg

20 hours ago, Trilex said:

If It does see it does that mean there is a filter or not. Btw I am planning to use the ir leds in the link below. Would it work. And can I use multiple of them in different locations.  

If it sees the light from the remote then it most likely does not have a filter.

If it doesn't see the light from the remote then it does have a filter.

The filter removes IR light. Therefore, if you can't see the light in the camera then it is being filtered out.

Sadly I don't know much about lighting or IR lights so I can't tell you how well those lights will work. A lot of security cameras only has a few IR LEDs so I assume that beefy lighting system would work well. But that also depends on how much light they send out. It has great reviews though.

Yes, you can use multiple of them in different locations. Think of IR light as just regular light that the camera can see, but you can't. Can you put several regular lights in a room to light it up? Yes. Therefore, the same works for IR light and IR sensitive cameras.

8 hours ago, Trilex said:

This camera above says it has night vision capabilities of the 66feet/20m and in the picture below it shows it still has the ir filter. Is the possible? Does that mean I don’t need to take mine out of my phone camera and it will still work? 

I'm not sure. Seems weird that it has an IR filter and also uses IR to operate in the dark.

Don't know how it does that.

3 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

If it sees the light from the remote then it most likely does not have a filter.

If it doesn't see the light from the remote then it does have a filter.

The filter removes IR light. Therefore, if you can't see the light in the camera then it is being filtered out.

Sadly I don't know much about lighting or IR lights so I can't tell you how well those lights will work. A lot of security cameras only has a few IR LEDs so I assume that beefy lighting system would work well. But that also depends on how much light they send out. It has great reviews though.

Yes, you can use multiple of them in different locations. Think of IR light as just regular light that the camera can see, but you can't. Can you put several regular lights in a room to light it up? Yes. Therefore, the same works for IR light and IR sensitive cameras.

I'm not sure. Seems weird that it has an IR filter and also uses IR to operate in the dark.

Don't know how it does that.

Ok thank you , if it doesn't work I'm onlying loosing a $4 investment. Thank you