Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dafydd

Apple reportedly giving up on the infamous Butterfly Keyboard

Posted · Original PosterOP

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/4/20682079/apple-butterfly-switch-scissor-switch-2019-macbook-air-2020-macbook-pro

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/07/04/apple-to-use-scissor-switch-keyboard-macbooks/

What about all of the people who’ve already bought a MacBook of which the keyboard will die when a speck of dust gets into it? Trade-in? I don’t know…

“Apple will reportedly move to a new scissor-switch design, which will use glass fiber to reinforce its keys.“

“Apple's butterfly keyboards are highly controversial and have been called out as one of the company's worst design decisions due to their penchant for failure due to small particulates like crumbs or heat issues.”

My PC
CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor 
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME A320M-K Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 4GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  
Storage: SanDisk - Ultra 3D 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  

Video Card: Sapphire RX 580 4GB PULSE
Case: BitFenix - Nova TG (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  
Peripheral: Phillips 227E 1080p Monitor 
Peripheral: Unknown Brand Mechanical Keyboard - Blue and Mouse
Peripheral: Behringer HPM1000 Headphones

My Laptop

Model: MacBook Air 13" Early 2015

CPU: i5 @ 1.6Ghz

Storage: 128GB SSD

Screen1366x768

My Server

CPU: i5 750

RAM: 4x1GB DDR3

HDD: 500GB

Chassis/PSU: Generic HP

My Mobile Devices

Samsung A5 2017, Gold - 32GB

iPod Nano 7th Gen, Black - 16GB

5 minutes ago, Dafydd said:

What about all of the people who’ve already bought a MacBook of which the keyboard will die when a speck of dust gets into it? Trade-in? I don’t know…

Next time they'll buy a thiccpad

...is there a question here? ?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

I'm glad to see they're discontinuing the butterfly keyboard, it was an unreliable mess. 

That being said, I thought it was quite a nice keyboard to use. It's a shame it was so unreliable.

My PC:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4460

Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-HD3

RAM: 8GB AMD DDR3 1600MHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 2GB

Case: In Win Mana 136

Storage: Crucial MX500 250GB + WD Blue 1TB

PSU: Corsair CX450M

Monitor: Blaupunkt 32" TV + Samsung S24D590L 

Cooling: Knockoff of an Intel stock cooler

Keyboard: Steelseries Apex M500 (Cherry MX Red, UK layout)

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB

My phone:

Spoiler

Samsung Galaxy Note 9 (N960F)

CPU: Samsung Exynos 9810

RAM: 6GB

GPU: Mali-G72 MP18

Storage: 128GB internal storage + 128GB Samsung microSD card

My laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U

RAM: 8GB DDR4

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 560X

Storage: 1TB HDD

good. i hate those keyboards. my dad has a 2018 15" MBP that hasn't failed yet, and i don't think it will since he doesn't use it very much, and on top of that we have excellent warranty by law here, so i don't think it will be an issue for him... 

but if it's your only computer and it fails you goofed... 

They/Them 

Phone: Nokia 7.2 | 128GB | Android

Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro | Core i5 7360U | Iris 640 | 8GB RAM | 120GB SSD | macOS

Gaming PC: Asus Prime Z370-P | Core i3-8100 | R9 290X | 16GB RAM | 250GB SSD | Bitfenix Whisper | Windows 10

I hope they go back to the old keyboard design or something very simiilar from etc macbook pro 2010 design.... still small keys/travl time and nice clicking/feedback from the keys... i can't stand the butterfly design.. and this have been the reason why i haven't got any macbook ever since they changed the design...

Now i'm a windows desktop user... and my GF is a apple user, she have a mid 2010 pro macbook.. yea is f***ing old.. but it's in fact still a fairly useable machine after i swithed it out with a SSD instead... and the best part about that old 2010 model.. is the keyboard and the magnetic charge port...

Personally I love the super short travel of the butterfly keys. Reliability however...

Main System - 2016 13"nTB MBP 256GB

Gaming Rig - 4790K, 16GB RAM, 1080Ti
Monitor - Dell 25" U2515H

K/B & M - Ducky One TKL, Logitech MX Master & G900

Audio - JDS Labs The Element, Aktimate Mini B+, Krix Seismix 3 Mk6, Ultrasone Pro 900

29 minutes ago, SlimyPython said:

You know what that means

Spoiler

See the source image

Bloodshed and the Fenris-Wolf:

| CPU:  Ryzen 5 3600(buying a 3900x in August for it) | CPU Cooler:  Dark Rock Pro 4 | Paste:  Kryonaut | Motherboard:  ASRock x470 Taichi | RAM:  G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 48 GB (2 x 16 GB + 2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 | Boot Drives:  Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2-2280+Crucial BX500 120 GB 2.5" SSD | Storage Drives:  Toshiba X300 4 TB 128 MB Cache 3.5" HDD+PNY CS900 240 GB | GPU:  Sapphire Radeon VII 16 GB HBM2 Video Card | Case:  Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB | PSU:  EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply w/CableMod E-Series Cable Kit (Black/Red) | Case Fans:  2 Corsair SP140 49.49 CFM 140 mm Fans | Displays:  AOC U2879VF 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz Monitor (Replacing with an LG 4k IPS display for game art)+AOC G2460PQU 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor | Mouse:  Corsair M65 Pro RGB | Keyboard:  Ducky Shine 7 Blackout - MK Exclusive First Release - RGB LED Double Shot PBT Mechanical Keyboard with Silent Red Switches | Mousepad:  Gaya Entertainment Oversized Gaming Mousepad Doom | Audio:  Massdrop x AKG K7XX Audiophile Open-back Headphones+Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB Cardioid Condenser USB Microphone+Kingston HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel Headset+iBasso IT01 Dynamic Driver Audiophile In-Ear Monitors/Earbuds (Black)+Pair of Mackie MR624s(came with stands+isolation pads) | OSes:  Windows 10 Pro+openSUSE Tumbleweed |

VashTheStampede(ROG Zephyrus M GU502):

| CPU:  i7-9750h | RAM:  32GB Dual Channel 2666mhz CL 19(Stock+Samsung 16GB DDR4 PC4-21300, 2666MHZ, 260 PIN SODIMM, 1.2V, CL 19 ) | Storage:  1TB SSD with Optane | GPU:  Nvidia RTX 2060 | Display:  144hz 3ms | Mouse:  Corsair M65 Pro |

finally

9 hours ago, Dafydd said:

What about all of the people who’ve already bought a MacBook of which the keyboard will die when a speck of dust gets into it?

they knew what they were getting themselves into when they decided to buy it in the first place. At this point they only have themselves to blame

Now how about they also finally fix the awful thermal dissipation solution

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

9 hours ago, XR6 said:

I'm glad to see they're discontinuing the butterfly keyboard, it was an unreliable mess. 

That being said, I thought it was quite a nice keyboard to use. It's a shame it was so unreliable.

I fucking hated them. I normally type around 120WPM, and I can burst 150 for a few seconds. I could barely do 80WPM on that keyboard. I hated them. Loud, ugly, uncomfortable to type on, and on top of all that, ridiculously unreliable.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.4GHz @ 1.36V (courtesy of @XR6) Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix Storage: WD Blue 1TB and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Monitor: Dell G2410T and two Dell P2210 on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: Northgate Omnikey Ultra Mousepad: Steelseries QcK XL with stitched edge Headset:  Sennheiser HD598SE

I like old-ass keyboards, Volvos, Thinkpads, and fountain pens.

7 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I fucking hated them. I normally type around 120WPM, and I can burst 150 for a few seconds.

My wpm has always been 65. Sure I can burst in the 120 range in a typing test but IRL speeds are much lower, more like a few sentences per minute maybe. It's got nothing to do with the keyboard I use though as that wpm has stayed with me since the 5th grade. 

Laptop: 2016 13" nTB MacBook Pro Core i5 | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB | Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell 27 Gaming Monitor S2719DGF 1440p @155Hz, Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball

Shame, I liked the butterfly switch. Their keyboards went from really good to amazing in terms of typing feel, imo.

Bring back the pre-rietna keyboard! I've yet to find a more pleasurable keyboard other than C2D era Thinkpads.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, CoolerMaster, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: Thinkpad T430. Specs to come, too lazy atm

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i5-8600K 3.6 GHz 6-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $200.00) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H50 57 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Motherboard: MSI Z370M GAMING PRO AC Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Monitor: Dell U2417H 24.0" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Monitor: LG 34UM69G-B 34.0" 2560x1080 75 Hz Monitor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Custom: Cooler Master Stacker 830 Evolution Nvidia Edition  (Purchased For $60.00)
Total: $1395.00

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

2 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

My wpm has always been 65. Sure I can burst in the 120 range in a typing test but IRL speeds are much lower, more like a few sentences per minute maybe. It's got nothing to do with the keyboard I use though as that wpm has stayed with me since the 5th grade. 

Even if it doesn't for you, keyboard can (and will) have a pretty massive effect on wpm for many people. I make a lot of errors on my MX Red keyboard, but put my Ducky with MX Blues in front of me and I can sustain 120 wpm.

Current Build:

CPU: i7-8700K @4.7 GHz/1.25v (all cores)

GPU: GTX 1070 FE

RAM: 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 @3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A

CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo

PSU: EVGA 650 Watt G2 Supernova

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: HP Envy X360 13

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700U

GPU: Radeon Vega 10 (Integrated)

RAM: 8GB 2400 MHz, dual channel

Old PC:

CPU: Intel i7 980X @4.0 GHz/1.34v

RAM: 3x4GB DDR3 @1333 MHz

Mobo: Some old x58 board

19 minutes ago, Emberstone said:

Even if it doesn't for you, keyboard can (and will) have a pretty massive effect on wpm for many people. I make a lot of errors on my MX Red keyboard, but put my Ducky with MX Blues in front of me and I can sustain 120 wpm.

I have no idea how many WPM I do

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

The way to get the specs for my PC. go to the store. Buy some potatos. boil them and mash them. and stuff that in a focus g with a ssd.

It sucked that the keyboard had issues, but I do love the fact that Apple keeps innovating and keeping the stagnant PC market fresh with new designs and new ideas. Without Apple, I don't think we would've seen thin laptops becoming mainstream and forcing WinIntel laptops to adopt the same design aesthetic and saving people's backs. 

Sometimes, when you innovate, you face challenges that you can't solve and you just have to keep moving forward. 

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus Code XI | Graphics Card: Asus Strix GTX 970 OC Edition | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 MHz | 

Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 250GB | 1 x Samsung 840 EVO 120 GB | 2 x WD 4 TB | 1 x WD 1 TB | PSU: Corsair TX 650M 650W | 

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout (window) | Cooling: CRYORIG H5 Universal 

PCPartPicker List

2 hours ago, SenpaiKaplan said:

Shame, I liked the butterfly switch. Their keyboards went from really good to amazing in terms of typing feel, imo.

Bring back the pre-rietna keyboard! I've yet to find a more pleasurable keyboard other than C2D era Thinkpads.

My work has several 2008 era MBP and C2D era Thinkpads and man, those things are fantastic to type on! Night and day difference in typing experience between these older machines and the current machines that are on offer.

If I could upgrade the CPUs on those older machines, I would, just for the sake of typing experience! I don't care that the screens are worse or that the ports are legacy USB 2.0 ports or have VGA ports. 

I use those machines from time to time and every time I typed, a burst of serotonin was injected into my body. So fun to type on them - MBP or Thinkpad. Both companies had something special going on in terms of keyboards at least during that time...

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus Code XI | Graphics Card: Asus Strix GTX 970 OC Edition | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 MHz | 

Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 250GB | 1 x Samsung 840 EVO 120 GB | 2 x WD 4 TB | 1 x WD 1 TB | PSU: Corsair TX 650M 650W | 

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout (window) | Cooling: CRYORIG H5 Universal 

PCPartPicker List

11 hours ago, Arika S said:

that sounds fragile as hell

They use fiberglass for boats and cars. It's a pretty dense and durable material or thready material depending on its use purpose (insulation vs structure).

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

10 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Why? Because it contains the word glass?

Glass fiber is very durable and light. For example it's used in boat hulls.

22 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

They use fiberglass for boats and cars. It's a pretty dense and durable material or thready material depending on its use purpose (insulation vs structure).

alright, put it this way, when was the last time you saw an apple product where the glass wasn't smashed? :D

If it's true, it'll be the quickest MBP upgrade I've ever done at two years.  Normally I run them for 4-5 years, but I'll jump at the chance for the old scissor switch keys or something like them.  I knew what I was getting into with this late '18 MBP, but it is terrible to type on.

Editing Rig: Mac Pro 17,1

System Specs: 3.2GHz 16-core Xeon | 96GB ECC DDR4 | AMD Radeon Pro Vega II (32GB HBM2) | Lots of SSD and NVMe storage |

Audio: Sound Blaster X7 external DAC/ADC |

Gaming Rig: PC

System Specs:  Asus Rampage VI Extreme board | Intel Core i9 7900X | 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX (OC'd to 4GHz) | 2 x NVidia 2080Ti FE cards (OC'd) | Corsair AX1500i power supply | CaseLabs Magnum THW10 case ( RIP CaseLabs ? ) |

Audio:  Sound Blaster AE-9 card | Mackie DL32R Mixer | Sennheiser HDV820 amp | Sennheiser HD820 phones | Rode Broadcaster mic |

Displays: Asus PG27UQ 4K/144Hz display | 2 x LG 27UK650-W 4K displays |

Cooling:  2 x EK 140 Revo D5 Pump/Res | EK Asus R6E monoblock | 2 x EK 2080Ti waterblocks | 2 x AlphaCool 480mm x 60mm rads | AlphaCool 560mm x 60mm rad | 21 x Noctua 120mm fans | 8 x Noctua 140mm fans | 2 x Aquaero 6XT fan controllers |