Windows 10 won't boot when enabling SVM - AMD Ryzen 2400G

Kimlangholz

Hi.

I'm trying to install android studio along with their emulator for development purposes, which requires me to enable virtualization.

I need to activate virtualization in my BIOS and enable Windows Hypervisor Platform under Windows Features.

Here's the problem I'm facing:

With virtualization enabled in BIOS and Windows Hypervisor Platform enabled, when I try to boot, I come to a windows screen saying it was unable to boot and asking if I want to analyze/reinstall. No error code.

I've tried having Windows locate and fix possible errors, but it can't find any. 

My only option is to restart, go into the BIOS and disable SVM. Then it boots fine. 

Alternatively, I'm able to boot with SVM enabled as long as Windows Hypervisor Platform ain't enabled. It's an either-or case :S

Things I've tried that didn't solve my issue:

1) Resetting BIOS to standard settings.

2) Trying only enabling IOMMU to see if it would start with that enabled along with Windows Hypervisor Platform enabled - Worked. 

When then enabling SVM, back to square one with no booting into Windows.
3) Enabling IOMMU and SVM, boot and then enable Windows Hypervisor Platform for then having to restart and face the same issues again. 
4) Tried enabling Windows Hyper-V instead - Same problem.

Been following this guide: https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2018/07/android-emulator-amd-processor-hyper-v.html

How can I get this working so I can actually use Android Studio? Seems to work for so many other. Is it a BIOS issue or Windows issue?

Hardware:
Ryzen 2400G
AsRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac

Windows 10 Pro

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance.

CPU Ryzen 5 1600 (OC 4GHz) | RAM 16GB DDR4-3000 (OC 3200) | Boot 240 GB SSD | Storage 1TB Seagate Barracuda | GPU Inno3D GTX 1060 6GB Compact | MB MSI B350 Gaming Plus | Case Antec P8 | PSU EVGA 600W

Have you tried updating the bios to latest version?

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

I have the second newest version. A new bios update came out yesterday. But sure, I could try flashing the BIOS. I'll get back when I have the result of trying that. 

Update:

Updating the BIOS didn't work. Still won't boot to Windows with SVM and Windows Hypervisor Platform enabled...

This is the first time I've tried it, but I am able to boot up in failsafe condition. Don't know if that helps? 

CPU Ryzen 5 1600 (OC 4GHz) | RAM 16GB DDR4-3000 (OC 3200) | Boot 240 GB SSD | Storage 1TB Seagate Barracuda | GPU Inno3D GTX 1060 6GB Compact | MB MSI B350 Gaming Plus | Case Antec P8 | PSU EVGA 600W

I took it a step further and did a complete reinstall of windows - Didn't work... 

• 4 weeks later...

Finally I've found a solution to that situation. 

In your BIOS, search for "IOMMU", that option was set to automatic here, but you will have to change to disabled to be able to boot the Windows 10 OS.

Hope this help you! Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/2/2019 at 4:29 PM, tomsnunes said:

Finally I've found a solution to that situation. 

In your BIOS, search for "IOMMU", that option was set to automatic here, but you will have to change to disabled to be able to boot the Windows 10 OS.

Hope this help you! Good luck!

This one worked only on the first boot, which took very long. Then it stopped to work and I had to reset the BIOS.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you found a solution? i have the same cpu and mobo and also same issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using the gigabyte b450 I aorus pro mobo and an ryzen 3 2200G and I'm facing with the same issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 5 months later...

I'm using b450m motherboard, after enabling svm my bios won't even boot? Anyone face this issue? 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, i used this thread to find out a solution. so i hope i can help you guys.

i have a ryzen 2400g + a320m-k + ssd wd m.2(win 10) ( Windows 10 was working properly till i install amd video drivers, then it crashes at the very next boot)

i lost two days of my life trying to fix this issue.

here it is my solution. a modern hdmi cable 

i was using a very old hdmi cable which i had in my house, after i switch to a new cable my windows 10 started up again.

on my last try. i installed windows 10, i got all win 10 updates, amd chipset drivers and latest amd video driver from amd official website. so try a better  hdmi cable or monitor

- Updated bios (same problem)

-  reinstalled windows 10 (same problem)

-  changed memory mhz and volt (same problem)

• 1 month later...

did anyone find a solution ??? same problem here 

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey guys. I´m new on virtualization and the LTT forum.

I had the same problem on the TUF Gaming FX505DT_FX505DT, trying to enable SVM to access virtualization and couldn't get the computer to boot up. Really, I was just messing around with the options to see how I could get it working. This allowed me to boot up:

I disabled fast boot up (read somewhere it would help, but on it's own it solves nothing).

Before saving the bios config, I just selected again the Windows boot manager and it worked :)

I haven't restarted my computer, but so far so good. I'm now able to run VMware, so I'm happy :D