L0m

Mic for Recording

Behringer xm8500 or BM-700  

1 member has voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Behringer xm8500 or BM-700

• Behringer xm8500
    • BM-700

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 2019-07-15 at 11:46 AM

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey guys,

I am a jazz trombonist and am starting to sing and wish to record both singing and trombone. I am a student and can only spend about $110 AUD on a mic and audio interface.

I have already chosen an audio interface, the Behringer u-phoria um2x2 for $65 AUD.

Should I go with this the BM-700 for $49 AUD or this the berhinger xm8500 for $38 AUD?

My thoughts on the BM-700 is apart from a XLR-XLR cable I wont have to buy anything but it could be a bit hit and miss with quality.

My thoughts on the xm8500 is it is a name brand with good quality but I will have to wait and save and up some more money before I can get it cause ill have to get a xlr cable, stand and pop filter.

What are your thoughts?

EDIT: I’m going to start a poll

I'm a python programmer and I play trombone

I can recommend checking Podcastage on Youtube, he specializes in reviewing microphones and audio interfaces.

12 minutes ago, 191x7 said:

I can recommend checking Podcastage on Youtube, he specializes in reviewing microphones and audio interfaces.

Thanks I have already checked him out. He has nothing but praise for the Behringer Mic (Number 2, $38 AUD) and the Audio Interface I chose. Due to the $49 AUD mic package being a home brand there aren't any good quality reviews/Opinions on youtube.

6 minutes ago, L0m said:

Thanks I have already checked him out. He has nothing but praise for the Behringer Mic (Number 2, $38 AUD) and the Audio Interface I chose. Due to the $49 AUD mic package being a home brand there aren't any good quality reviews/Opinions on youtube.

That Vonyx is a BM700, the same as the Neweer BM 700 and other BM700-s and 800-s from eBay, Aliexpress etc.

5 minutes ago, 191x7 said:

That Vonyx is a BM700, the same as the Neweer BM 700 and other BM700-s and 800-s from eBay, Aliexpress etc.

Oh crap, thanks I had no idea that is extremely useful. Thanks

2 hours ago, L0m said:

Oh crap, thanks I had no idea that is extremely useful. Thanks

I mean, it looks the same to me. Take a look at the pictures https://www.google.com/search?q=bm-700&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj4_dz89prjAhWGZlAKHcDfAXcQ_AUIECgB&biw=1920&bih=888#imgdii=WkHEylXC6rcg_M:&imgrc=z6z9ampAnPnFfM: and tell me does it look to be a BM700 to you?

3 minutes ago, 191x7 said:

Yeah I can confirm it is the same, anyway I am grateful for you identifying it so I'll edit that into the Original Post but do you have  a suggestion of which I should use?

24 minutes ago, L0m said:

... but do you have  a suggestion of which I should use?

I own and use a BM700 microphone paired with a Behringer PS400 Phantom Power connected to my onboard sound.

I don't make music or record instruments, I use the mic for voice chat and when game streaming, I don't think I'm the right person to make a recommendation for your use scenario.

The BM700 fits my needs, that's all. Haven't used pricier microphones. Maybe ask Podcastage directly?