Next Windows 10 update will be about polish not features

GoodBytes

Microsoft has reveal plans for the upcoming version of Windows 10 dub as a code named: 19H2 (the last update of Windows 10, May 2019 was code named: 19H1).

Microsoft says that the next version of Windows 10 will focus more on polish, bug fixes and performance improvements.

Dona Sarker, head of the Insider programs from Microsoft says:

Today, we are talking about the next steps we are taking at continuing to evolve Windows 10 servicing and quality with the next feature update for Windows 10. This release has been referred to as 19H2 with Insiders. 19H2 will include a scoped set of features for select performance improvements, enterprise features, and quality enhancements and will be delivered to customers running the May 2019 Update using servicing technology (like the monthly Cumulative Update process).

Microsoft's Director of Program Management, adds

The next feature update for Windows 10 (known in the Windows Insider Program as 19H2) will be a scoped set of features for select performance improvements, enterprise features and quality enhancements. To deliver these updates in a less disruptive fashion, we will deliver this feature update in a new way, using servicing technology (like the monthly update process) for customers running the May 2019 Update who choose to update to the new release. In other words, anyone running the May 2019 Update and updating to the new release will have a far faster update experience because the update will install like a monthly update.

So the chances of getting any new consumer facing feature will be slim, or only be minor stuff.

For new features, Microsoft said in the past that they need more time, and they'll target the first half of 2020 with the update code name, 20H1.

Source: https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-finally-details-its-plans-windows-10-19h2

19H2 is expected to be released towards the end of the year, based on history: October/November.

The update will be closer to a big 'cumulative update'-style of update than an actual version upgrade of the OS, so the update will be less intrusive and takes less time to install on the system.

In other words, the update will be more a "Service Pack"-style update than the usual Windows 10 updates we were having.

"quality enhancements"

Does that mean finally getting rid of the legacy apps and giving the new ones their full features? 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

The last few major updates have been a little bit confusing for me (I am easily confused), because some people got the creators update, and some were fully updated on the October or April update or something? Service pack numbers help a lot. I can't understand that some people get the updates and some don't etc. Then again I was trying to update my phone for the past 3 days, until I realized it already auto-updated when I checked the build number. 

Oh hey, it’s back to Windows 2000 days where major patches are called service packs. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

3 minutes ago, floofer said:

I can't understand that some people get the updates and some don't etc.

Microsoft learn their lesson (mostly anyway) when it came to pushing updates to machines it will have issues with. So when new updates come out they only get pushed to users seeking updates and systems that will be 100% compatible with the updates current form.

Will there be the ability to manually update? I'll install a service pack, but I still wish to keep the Windows Update Service in services.msc disabled.

38 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

This worries me, since 1903 was pretty big and it wasn't called a service pack, will we see the death of the control panel? (plz no)

1903 still hasn’t been pushed to everyone. That’s what really concerns me. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

17 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

1903 still hasn’t been pushed to everyone. That’s what really concerns me. 

I love having the education edition, native support to delay feature updates and security updates separately. (my settings: Feature 120 | Security: 0)

50 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Oh hey, it’s back to Windows 2000 days where major patches are called service packs.

They used "Service Packs" all the way through Windows 7, so I don't get what point you're trying to make here.  Also, Win2k was a rock solid OS, so mimicking that wouldn't be the worst thing they could do.

1 minute ago, TrigrH said:

I love having the education edition, native support to delay feature updates and security updates separately. (my settings: Feature 120 | Security: 0)

You can do the same with standard Professional edition, as well.

3 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

It is not called a Service Pack, I am calling it a Service Pack to give the reader a connection on the type of update that it will be.

It will be nice if this is the new norm for Windows 10's update cycle. One refined feature update every 2 years would be even better.

3 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

Will there be the ability to manually update? I'll install a service pack, but I still wish to keep the Windows Update Service in services.msc disabled.

You can set Windows Update to be manual only by setting the Configure Automatic Updates policy in the Group Policy editor to Disabled. A guide on how to do that is here:

2 hours ago, TrigrH said:

Can you entirely disable, not just delay, feature updates in the Education edition while continuing to get security updates?

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Still on 1803, but have noticed I have the option to download and install the newest update. Dont want to cause that pain. SO Ill wait until Im good a ready to have to reinstall my entire machine again. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

35 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

You can set Windows Update to be manual only by setting the Configure Automatic Updates policy in the Group Policy editor to Disabled. A guide on how to do that is here:

I have the actual update service in services.msc disabled and set to manual start. My Windows never updates, and that's the way I like it. I'm asking if I can just download the service pack from Microsoft's website as a standalone type thing, so I don't have to go through hoops.

will it fix the absolute hellhole that is older drivers that are still marked for Windows 10 but are an absolute shitshow on 1903? 

because i would like that. i would actually be able to use my pc then without it immediately bluescreening when updating and then going in a bluescreen loop even if i install the nvidia drivers from their website before updating!!!

She/Her

3 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

will it fix the absolute hellhole that is older drivers that are still marked for Windows 10 but are an absolute shitshow on 1903? 

because i would like that. i would actually be able to use my pc then without it immediately bluescreening when updating and then going in a bluescreen loop even if i install the nvidia drivers from their website before updating!!!

Sounds like a driver issue rather than a Windows issue.

Probably not much Microsoft can do about it. But I am on 1903 with the latest Nvidia drivers and I have no issues.

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Sounds like a driver issue rather than a Windows issue.

Probably not much Microsoft can do about it. But I am on 1903 with the latest Nvidia drivers and I have no issues.

that's the thing, i'm on an older driver because i have a 600 series card. 

She/Her

Is this what would have been the "fall" major update, now would be similar in impact to monthly updates? IMO the twice yearly major updates are too fast with no consumer equivalent of LTSB, and a less disruptive delivery would be nice.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

9 hours ago, Arika S said:

in4b shitstorm

must...    resist.....    urge to...    point...      out...      security update...                      importance...            ?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

7 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

It is not called a Service Pack, I am calling it a Service Pack to give the reader a connection on the type of update that it will be.

You should put this in your main post.

I was quite a bit confused by that title, and it seems like others were as well.

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

1 hour ago, firelighter487 said:

that's the thing, i'm on an older driver because i have a 600 series card. 

I have a GeForce 680 using Windows Update delivered drivers (435.27 - Standard), no issues here.

I don't have the 3D Vision stuff nor GeForce Experience.

1 hour ago, Kukielka said:

You should put this in your main post.

I was quite a bit confused by that title, and it seems like others were as well.

Thanks, ok, fixed

11 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Snip!

Could you please put a "be" in your topic title, as I am getting triggered immensely.

So it should read

Next Windows 10 update will be about polish not features

TIA :D

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini