Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Johners

Over 70% of Steam users are now running Windows 10 64-bit

Posted · Original PosterOP

Over 70% of Steam users are now running Windows 10 64-bit according to the June 2019 hardware survey.

For those who are unaware, "Steam conducts a monthly survey to collect data about what kinds of computer hardware and software our customers are using. Participation in the survey is optional, and anonymous. The information gathered is incredibly helpful to us as we make decisions about what kinds of technology investments to make and products to offer." This month's survey shows a small increase for Windows overall to 96.49% of all users but also sees Windows 10 64-bit breaking the 70% barrier alongside Windows 7 64-bit declining down to 21.34%

image.thumb.png.13dabe0af8d6c5eb5fa8d5447b846e2f.png

Another interesting takeaway from this month's survey is a decline in macOS and Linux usage. While there is no indication of what's causing this, one could assume a combination of the Xbox Game Pass for PC launch promotion and concerns over the future of 32-bit applications within 64-bit versions of macOS and Ubuntu to have played a part in this. This year's release of macOS will end all support for 32-bit applications, which includes the Steam client itself, unless updated before then, and the vast majority of available games. We're also recently seen Canonical make the decision to drop 32-bit multi-arch support from 64-bit releases of Ubuntu starting with 19.10 later this year which will impact the Steam client, the majority of native Linux games and WINE/Proton for running Windows games.

Going forward I only expect this to rise further and I think Windows 10 64-bit will be at least 80% of all Steam users, if not higher, by the end of 2019. Windows 7 support is almost over and a lot of newer hardware only has drivers for Windows 10 64-bit. When you also include increased adoption of DirectX 12 within newer games and the imminent approach of next generation games consoles which will only make DX12 (or Vulkan) the norm, I don't see there being much of a choice in operating system if you like to play modern games.

Source: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Everytime I hit my funny bone unexpectedly it's like my own personal Pearl Harbour.

Don't call it a grave, it's the future you chose.

Project JAPC Build Log

2 minutes ago, Johners said:

Windows 7 support is almost over and a lot of newer hardware only has drivers for Windows 10 64-bit.

This wont stop some people from holding onto Win 7. For Hating Win 10/8 for it's layout or features, Being too lazy to upgrade, or having a "If it aint broke" mentality, people are going to hold onto Win 7 as long as they possibly can, even if it means missing out on some hardware possibilities.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Project ITNOS --- P600S VS Define R6/S2

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

13 minutes ago, Johners said:

This year's release of macOS will end all support for 32-bit applications, which includes the Steam client itself, unless updated before then

New macOS installs of Steam are 64Bit. However a Mac which has had Steam installed for years will still have the 32Bit client. 

Windows is still 32Bit across the board though. 

Laptop: 2020 13" MacBook Pro i5, 512GB, G7 Graphics, 16GB LPDDR4X | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB | Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell 27 Gaming Monitor S2719DGF 1440p @155Hz, Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball
8 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

This wont stop some people from holding onto Win 7. For Hating Win 10/8 for it's layout or features, Being too lazy to upgrade, or having a "If it aint broke" mentality, people are going to hold onto Win 7 as long as they possibly can, even if it means missing out on some hardware possibilities.

Just wait til these same people complain about why their computer starts acting strange after not getting security updates by next February.

Half of them probably didn't know, they got auto updated to windows 10.

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

i7-8700k @5.15Ghz (Delidded) - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX - MSI Armor GTX 1080 - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15" (Finally got rid of the MacBook :D
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

El-Sleep (ProxMox server)

2x Xeon E5-2667  - 48GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 4x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

29 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Oh darn ill miss out on cortana... and microsoft edge.... and my files wont randomly disappear after an update. What a shame.

I may be cherry picking , but the cold hard truth is if the new os doesnt do anything better for me , why would I want it?

I gave it a trial run one time on a spare machine and.... short of it pegging the hdd to 100% almost constantly I saw very little different from what I actually want. Ill eventually be forced to use it but im going to enjoy every last bit of windows 7.

I honestly don't see why wouldn't they want to upgrade to Win10. It was even a free option a while ago, to simply use your Win7 licence key for Win10 activation.

And it's not a bad Windows version by any means ... at least that's my opinion. 

Intel i7 9700KF 5.0GHz | EVGA Z370 Micro ATX | Dark Rock 3 | ADATA XPG Z1 3000MHz 32GB | RM650x | GTX 1080 Ti EVGA SC2 | Thermaltake Core V21

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 850 250GB | HyperX Fury 480GB | 3x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

4 minutes ago, emosun said:

Ill eventually be forced to use it but im going to enjoy every last bit of windows 7.

Case in point :D 

I'd say one arguable benefit for Win 10 is security. Since Win 7 isnt being patched as regularly, more vulnerabilities will appear that wont be patched. I also had the 100% HDD issue (on both win 8.1 and 10) and I had to do a fresh install to fix it. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Project ITNOS --- P600S VS Define R6/S2

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX550M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

3 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Win &

Never heard of that version of Windows.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

53 minutes ago, pizapower said:

Linux 0.76%

RIP LInux

And it'll pretty much stay in that ballpark until OEMs like Dell / HP / etc. arse themselves to provide a pre-installed version of it on their offerings ?.

Posted · Original PosterOP
14 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I'd say one arguable benefit for Win 10 is security. Since Win 7 isnt being patched as regularly, more vulnerabilities will appear that wont be patched. I also had the 100% HDD issue (on both win 8.1 and 10) and I had to do a fresh install to fix it. 

I'll be honest, SSDs should be a requirement for running Windows itself as mechanical hard drives just aren't fit for purpose anymore. They should even be the minimum requirement for games and likely be once the next-gen consoles are released with their built-in SSDs.

Everytime I hit my funny bone unexpectedly it's like my own personal Pearl Harbour.

Don't call it a grave, it's the future you chose.

Project JAPC Build Log

Expected. 64-bit W10 wil continue to grow. 

Ryzen 7 3800X | X570 Aorus Elite | G.Skill 16GB 3200MHz C16 | Radeon RX 5700 XT | Samsung 850 PRO 256GB | Mouse: Zowie S1 | OS: Windows 10

One of the best moves Microsoft ever made was offering Windows 10 upgrades for free, and doing so for such a long time (even with whatever workarounds there were to still get it). This helped more rapidly move people off Windows 7 and especially 8/8.1 and over to Windows 10. It was a no-brainer for me as I was already on the preview versions well before hand and loved it already, so it was a pretty easy sell at no cost to get family, friends, clients, and so on to make the move.

There is no spoon.

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

Which means nothing. You can have the most secure operating system in the world if the one who uses it is a complete moron then it's instantly nullified.

How secure a system is, is based on the user, not the operating system.  

1 hour ago, TVwazhere said:

you can run win 7 and 8,1 on the new cpus no problem, at most you might have to look a bit for audio and usb drivers after that there is nothing to worry about, i have got a win 7 running on a 2600 and a win 8.1 on a 2400g

This hardware survey doesn't seem to make much sense. AMD is going down in CPU market share... what? Meanwhile, they AREN'T going down in GPU market share.... WHAT? And how are dual and quad core CPU's the super majority here? I get that this survey is utterly massive and takes ages for it to show significant change, but damn this seems to be the opposite of the way the market is moving.

Side note, I find it odd that my two desktops (both Windows 7, both AMD CPUs, 1 with Nvidia 1 with AMD GPU) haven't been prompted for this survey in ages. My laptop (Windows 10, Intel CPU, Nvidia GPU)? Been asked twice in one year. Odd...

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | Sandisk Ultra 2tb SSD

3 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

For Hating Win 10/8 for it's layout or features

It is true tho. You can, however, use skins.

6 minutes ago, BigDamn said:

This hardware survey doesn't seem to make much sense. AMD is going down in CPU market share... what? Meanwhile, they AREN'T going down in GPU market share.... WHAT? And how are dual and quad core CPU's the super majority here? I get that this survey is utterly massive and takes ages for it to show significant change, but damn this seems to be the opposite of the way the market is moving.

Side note, I find it odd that my two desktops (both Windows 7, both AMD CPUs, 1 with Nvidia 1 with AMD GPU) haven't been prompted for this survey in ages. My laptop (Windows 10, Intel CPU, Nvidia GPU)? Been asked twice in one year. Odd...

wander how much intel and nvidia pay them?

/s

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

5 hours ago, BigDamn said:

Side note, I find it odd that my two desktops (both Windows 7, both AMD CPUs, 1 with Nvidia 1 with AMD GPU) haven't been prompted for this survey in ages. My laptop (Windows 10, Intel CPU, Nvidia GPU)? Been asked twice in one year. Odd.

Same here, I get prompts on my Windows box but not on the Linux one. 

Actually, come to think of it, I've never gotten a prompt on my laptop (also on Linux) either.   No wonder the Linux market share stays so low. 

5 hours ago, BigDamn said:

Does the graph really show that though, the change for the last month is within margin of error. The 5 month trend is up for AMD and down for Intel. Its only Zen2 that has made the general public take notice of AMD again, so will be interesting to see how the graph will develop next 6 month after the release of Zen2.

Looking high, looking low, looking side to side...   There's news in this thread...    somewhere... 

Nah, this doesn't surprise me,   the only thing that stays the same while moving forward is ignorance.  Eventually the only windows versions will be 10.  

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

12 hours ago, BigDamn said:

I think a lot of people don't even know what a RX 580 is. 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.1Ghz          Case: Antec P8     PSU: G.Storm GS850                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition @ 2Ghz

16 hours ago, Johners said:

which includes the Steam client itself

Nope, the steam client is 64-bit on MacOS. Sometimes people do upgrade to Catalina with the old version, but if you re-install, it works fine. It is the applications which are installed by steam that could be 32-bit. 

The reason for the decline is support from app developers for MacOS is pretty terrible - Blizzard is probably the best game client for MacOS right now. 

13 hours ago, BigDamn said:

Majority of the CPU's out there are dual and quad core,  A lot of the rhetoric on forums about more cores is just enthusiast noise.  The general consumer (and gamer) doesn't need more than 4 cores for just about majority of games/end uses.   Given that, it is going to take a few more years before we start seeing 6+ core cpu's rise in these surveys as they slowly become the majority in consumer space.

Also I never got asked to be apart of the survey until I got an AMD GPU, it's just random.

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.