Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deus Voltage

Nvidia Super Card Reviews

Posted · Original PosterOP

Nvidia's new "Super Cards" reviews are out, below is a list of all the news GPU reviews I could find.

Nvidia Super Trailer:

Paul's Hardware:

Spoiler

Gamers Nexus:

Spoiler

Linus Tech Tips:

Spoiler

Hardware Unboxed:

Spoiler

HardwareCanucks:

Spoiler

Miscellaneous notes from reviews:

1/LTT:
The good:
+Good Thermals.
+2070 Comparable to 2080 Performance (for the most part).
+Consistent Boost clocks for both cards in gaming.

The meh:
Due to 2070/2080 being discontinued, they are the only option left for that bracket.

The not so good:
-Bad naming scheme.
-Good "value", but not revolutionary (not Anthony's words, but my sentiment from watching his review).

2/Gamer's Nexus:

The good:
+ 2070 Super has a very stable boost clock Frequency, according to Steve it is "nearly perfectly flat." 2060 is ever so slightly less stable, but still good.

The not so good:

-"It will sour recent RTX buyers with the refresh."

Opinion:

From what I've gathered, Nvidia could have done more. They are "decent" (quoting Anthony from LTT) but that's the current state of competition right now. I am hopeful for the Navi releases, but I'm honestly going to be cautiously optimistic this time. Been disappointed one too many times with GPU's for the past couple of years.

If Nvidia had just released these from the beginning, they would have been praised for their value instead of ridiculed for ridiculous pricing. I understand why Nvidia did this (corporate greed and a need to keep a backup/refresh for Navi launch), but its still disappointing for many, including everyone who bought a RTX-2070 or RTX-2080 before the super cards. I guess now, there are better value cards on the green team which is nice.

Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, VegetableStu said:

dangit was going through the articles for their conclusions ,_,

2060_2070.png2060_2060.png

I'm still watching reviews and building my opinion. But it seems to be somewhat of a slight let down? Will update as I go

screw it i'll piggyback off this thread, LOL

Quick Summary of the state of the lineup:

• 2080ti will remain
  • the upcoming 2080 SUPER will replace the 2080
  • 2070 SUPER
  • 2060 SUPER
  • the 2060 "regular" will still be available
  • no more FE tax (on SUPER series)

?GamersNexus

UPDATE: NVIDIA has made a last-minute change (literally made within hours of the review going up). While some of the 2070 Supers will have "5 or 6" GPCs, the company decided to only fuse them off to 6 GPCs going forward, so that "5" number should be pretty rare to encounter after the initial batch, if ever.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3486-nvidia-rtx-2060-super-and-2070-super-review-benchmarks

The Super video card launch packs more punch for a refresh than we would typically expect, but it also moves the stack around in interesting ways. The 2060 Super has relatively large gains in performance that put it close to the original RTX 2070 in most instances and the 2070 Super is very nearly a 2080, although not quite. It has moved the 2070 SKU up to a TU-104 die from TU-106, though, and that’s significant.

(...)

Either way, looking at the product in a vacuum of just performance. RTX Super is a compelling launch. It’d have been even better if NVIDIA started here, with RTX-ready games and better prices, but they’re here now. We’re primarily looking at rasterization performance because the RTX story has been told to death, and at this point, it’s just a matter of better implementation that’s more interesting and more widespread. Just for rasterization, performance is competitive against NVIDIA’s own cards, which does spell a difficult launch ahead for AMD’s Navi GPUs. We’ll have to come back to check on those.

Techspot/?HardwareUnboxed

https://www.techspot.com/review/1865-geforce-rtx-super/

We are obliged to ignore AMD’s Navi from the equation as we’re under NDA with cards sitting on the test bench right now... so ignoring Navi, it’s fair to say this ~12-month refresh from Nvidia is somewhat underwhelming, but maybe we won't really know how pricing plays out until GPUs from both camps are fighting it out in the street in the weeks to come.

The RTX 2070 Super is good, it kills off the Radeon VII at its current price and does the same to the RTX 2080. So you’re almost getting $700 performance for $500, almost. There’s also no better deal to be had at this price point and that’s why we need AMD to step it up a notch, or ten.

We're definitely more excited about the RTX 2070 Super's prospects than the 2060 Super. Price to performance the 2060 Super is technically better value, but you expect that with lower end parts. The new 2060 Super is more costly than the original for a small boost in performance, though you do get that extra 2GB of VRAM.

Anandtech

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14586/geforce-rtx-2070-super-rtx-2060-super-review

The new Super parts are still based on the same TU104 and TU106 GPUs that have been on the market since the latter part of 2018, and as they are still the most cutting-edge GPUs out there in terms of features, they’re not at risk of getting outdated any time soon. The flip side of that coin is that since this is a refresh, NVIDIA isn’t bringing anything new to the table in terms of hardware features. This is, above all else, a modest realignment of NVIDIA’s product stack to ensure they remain competitive while spurring some new video card sales in slow market.

The good news then is that if you are in the market for buying a video card – particularly for new system builds – then this latest round in the GPU wars means that the amount of performance you get for the money is getting even better. The GeForce RTX 2060 Super is all but an RTX 2070 in name and in price, delivering virtually identical performance for $100 less than the original RTX 2070. And the GeForce RTX 2070 Super, while not quite a facsimile of the RTX 2080, delivers much of those gains, offering 96% of the RTX 2080’s performance for 71% of the price – or nearly some $200 cheaper than what that level of performance cost just last month.

For buyers looking to upgrade, however, things are a bit trickier. NVIDIA’s realignment improves their price-to-performance ratio; however, it doesn’t get around the fact that within NVIDIA’s lineup, none of the Turing architecture video cards deliver a full generational performance upgrade over their predecessors; the performance, partially a consequence of going with 12nm, just isn’t there. So these new Super cards don’t change the calculus involved in deciding whether to upgrade from Pascal – that it’s probably best to hold of until the next real generation of cards. However Maxwell (GTX 900 series) owners have a little more thinking to do, as this realignment means that GTX 980 and GTX 970 owners finally have similarly priced upgrades that are more than true generational updates in features and performance.

PCWorld

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3406396/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2060-super-rtx-2070-super-review.html

The $399 GeForce RTX 2060 Super and $499 RTX 2070 Super redefine the current GPU landscape, delivering substantially more power at or near the same price as before. They obliterate the value proposition of all cousins and competitors in their path, rendering the non-Super versions of the RTX 2070 and 2080 as well as all of AMD’s high-end Vega-based cards obsolete. There’s still an argument to be made for the $699 Radeon VII’s massive 16GB of HBM2 memory being worthwhile for content creation tasks, but when it comes to gaming, the $499 GeForce RTX 2070 Super trades blows for a whole lot less—and it does ray tracing.

Guru3D

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-rtx-2060-and-2070-super-review,1.html

I have to admit that I like the new RTX 2060 Super as it has become a more powerful card. The RTX 2070 Super is great as well, but it's again in that price range that people do not want to pay. DX-R Raytracing wise, what the industry needs is better game support and the simple fact that the price level is out of reach for most people.

We do think that the GeForce RTX 2060 Super is what the market needs. It is plenty fast for any gaming up-to, say, the Quad HD monitor resolution of 2560x1440. The added benefit is a handful of Tensor cores and the ability to put the RT cores to use. This way, at a relatively safe amount of money (399 USD), you get that very nice shader performance. Look at RT as an extra, try & see what the RayTracing is all about.

The GPU that resides inside the RTX 2060 Super is really the RTX 2070 Super GPU that has been cut down a notch. The new 8GB of graphics memory is great as that also widens the memory bus. Looking at it from a competition point of view, the card positions itself against the Vega 64 card and presumably soon the Radeon RX 5700.

We cannot complain about the GeForce RTX 2060 Super, it has received a proper upgrade. Priced right it could be a hit, really.

Hexus

https://www.hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/132092-nvidia-geforce-rtx-2060-super-rtx-2070-super/

Nvidia's 2070 Super takes the 2080 as a base and makes a few snips to shaders. The result is performance that, again, is 10-20 per cent faster than the base 2070, which is based on a lesser die.

Nvidia could simply have cut the price of existing cards and achieved the same aim of increasing the bang-for-buck. Going down the Super route is smarter in many ways because it enables partners to reinvigorate their RTX stack nearly a year on from initial launch. And no-one, other than consumers, welcomes a straight price cut.

Priced at £379 and £475 for the RTX 2060 and RTX 2070 Super Founders Edition, respectively, Nvidia succeeds in enhancing the high-end RTX offerings. It's good to see no price premium for these FE cards, as well, though partners will find it difficult to match the mix of build quality and performance with their entry-level models.

You're now getting RTX 2070-like performance for under £400 and close to RTX 2080 perf for under £500. That's still expensive in the grand scheme of things, but what it really does is put huge pressure on upcoming Radeon RX 5700 and 5700 XT cards because they'll inevitably be compared to Super models that up the performance ante a notch or two more than AMD was expecting.

initial consensus:

• 2070 SUPER murders the Radeon VII
  • value stands strong as is, but pending Navi for true value comparisons
  • 2060 SUPER an affordable 2070; ditto 2070 Super vs 2080
  • WAIT FOR NAVI: see what RDNA brings to the table (although they've shown their fuzzy hand in the RX5700 announcement in form of a boast and a vague chart)

personal thoughts:

• should have launched the original 2070 and 2060 like this, lol.
    (although they couldn't sandbag like what's going on right now, so welp)
    (then again maybe the TSMC mishap thing forced them to change processor stacks downwards?)

I'd say the RTX 2060 Super is the most intriguing card simply because you no longer have that video RAM bottleneck.  It might only be slightly faster in an all-things-being-equal situation, but push the resolution far enough (or just run a game that needs a lot of graphics memory) and the Super variant will definitely be the wiser choice.

Haven't watched GN's video yet...

Do the Super cards have similar PCB to older RTX cards? Basically, I am interested if existing water blocks will work with Super cards

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

53 minutes ago, Quadriplegic said:

Do the Super cards have similar PCB to older RTX cards? Basically, I am interested if existing water blocks will work with Super cards

gamersnexus teardown video to come later

EDIT: for what it's worth, the 2070 SUPER is physically a 2080, and the 2060 SUPER is physically a 2070, so make of that what you will

Still not interested in Turing/Super Turing or current Navi.  This would be interesting if I was a pure gamer.  Still looking at the VII for Vash and Vega 64 for Surtr because well, as interesting as that performance increase is on the gaming side, these cards aren't likely going to beat those 2 in rendering tasks I plan to do.

Bloodshed and the Fenris-Wolf:

| CPU:  Ryzen 9 3900x | CPU Cooler:  EKWB EK-AIO 360 D-RGB | Paste:  Kryonaut | Motherboard:  ASUS ROG x570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RAM:  G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 | Boot Drive:  Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME | Storage Drives:  Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2-2280+Western Digital WD Blue 2 TB 2.5"+Toshiba N300 8 TB 3.5" 7200RPM+Toshiba X300 4 TB 3.5" | GPU:  ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 2080 Ti AMP Extreme Core | Case:  Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified (Black) with Corsair SP140 49.49 CFM 140 mm Fans 2-Pack+4x Cooler Master SickleFlow 120 V2 Reds added | PSU:  EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply w/CableMod E-Series Cable Kit (Black/Red) | Case Fans:  2 Corsair SP140 49.49 CFM 140 mm Fans | Displays:  BenQ PD2700U 27.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz+Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz+MSI Optix MAG322CR 31.5" 1920x1080 180 Hz | Mouse:  Corsair M65 RGB ELITE | Keyboard:  Ducky Shine 7 Blackout - MK Exclusive First Release - RGB LED Double Shot PBT Mechanical Keyboard with Silent Red Switches | Mousepad:  Gaya Entertainment Oversized Gaming Mousepad Doom | Audio:  AKG K712 PRO Headphones+Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB Cardioid Condenser USB Microphone+Kingston HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel Headset+iBasso IT01 Dynamic Driver Audiophile In-Ear Monitors/Earbuds (Black)+Pair of Mackie MR624s(came with stands+isolation pads) | OS:  Windows 10 Pro |

Bifröst(ROG Zephyrus M GU502):

| CPU:  i7-9750h | RAM:  32GB Dual Channel 2666mhz CL 19(Stock+Samsung 16GB DDR4 PC4-21300, 2666MHZ, 260 PIN SODIMM, 1.2V, CL 19 ) | Storage:  1TB SSD with Optane | GPU:  Nvidia RTX 2060 | Display:  144hz 3ms | Mouse:  Corsair M65 Pro |

I am anxiously awaiting the Navi reviews. Then, I have $230 in Amazon rewards saved up to make a dent in whichever makes more sense between the RTX 2070 Super and the 5700 XT.

Sincerely,

me

I'm guessing RTX non-super 2070 and 2080 sales were far below expectations because why this is a terrible marketing stragey. Think of it like cars. Makes would only facelift they're model only after a short duration of time if only the sales were beyond expectation. 

2 minutes ago, bindydad123 said:

I'm guessing RTX non-super 2070 and 2080 sales were far below expectations because why this is a terrible marketing stragey. Think of it like cars. Makes would only facelift they're model only after a short duration of time if only the sales were beyond expectation. 

Well, the VII and 2080 were having competitive pricing below 700 for awhile now.  And, the 2070 was the hard to sell one.  But, this had more to do with binning and that Navi and Navi trademarks were bothering Jensen.  It's great for pure gaming, but still lacking in Blender and similar SW while being great for other pro tasks.

Bloodshed and the Fenris-Wolf:

| CPU:  Ryzen 9 3900x | CPU Cooler:  EKWB EK-AIO 360 D-RGB | Paste:  Kryonaut | Motherboard:  ASUS ROG x570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RAM:  G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 | Boot Drive:  Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME | Storage Drives:  Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2-2280+Western Digital WD Blue 2 TB 2.5"+Toshiba N300 8 TB 3.5" 7200RPM+Toshiba X300 4 TB 3.5" | GPU:  ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 2080 Ti AMP Extreme Core | Case:  Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified (Black) with Corsair SP140 49.49 CFM 140 mm Fans 2-Pack+4x Cooler Master SickleFlow 120 V2 Reds added | PSU:  EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply w/CableMod E-Series Cable Kit (Black/Red) | Case Fans:  2 Corsair SP140 49.49 CFM 140 mm Fans | Displays:  BenQ PD2700U 27.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz+Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz+MSI Optix MAG322CR 31.5" 1920x1080 180 Hz | Mouse:  Corsair M65 RGB ELITE | Keyboard:  Ducky Shine 7 Blackout - MK Exclusive First Release - RGB LED Double Shot PBT Mechanical Keyboard with Silent Red Switches | Mousepad:  Gaya Entertainment Oversized Gaming Mousepad Doom | Audio:  AKG K712 PRO Headphones+Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB Cardioid Condenser USB Microphone+Kingston HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel Headset+iBasso IT01 Dynamic Driver Audiophile In-Ear Monitors/Earbuds (Black)+Pair of Mackie MR624s(came with stands+isolation pads) | OS:  Windows 10 Pro |

Bifröst(ROG Zephyrus M GU502):

| CPU:  i7-9750h | RAM:  32GB Dual Channel 2666mhz CL 19(Stock+Samsung 16GB DDR4 PC4-21300, 2666MHZ, 260 PIN SODIMM, 1.2V, CL 19 ) | Storage:  1TB SSD with Optane | GPU:  Nvidia RTX 2060 | Display:  144hz 3ms | Mouse:  Corsair M65 Pro |

There's literally nothing super about these cards. What a boring yawnfest. Heh. Only useful if you're in a market for brand new card because your old one died or something. But I see almost no reason to upgrade to any of these from something from 1 or 2 generations ago. It's just pointless. Also the fact NVIDIA invests absolutely NOTHING into their software side is worrying. Still the same shitty ugly glitchy control panel, same fat ass worthless NVIDIA Experience junk, same broken ass FreeStyle feature that's "experimental" for years and still doesn't work in any god damn game I've tried it in. Like NVIDIA, wtf are you even doing with your software? So you make good HW. Big fucking deal when software is absolute worthless shit. I love the performance of my GTX 1080Ti, but its terrible software makes me want to get away from it as fast as possible. Which, when AMD starts pumping out at least some competent hardware in the future, it'll most likely happen.

I called it when I said they’d discontinue the old cards rather than drop the price down. People were too quick to assume that Nvidia would hand out the old cards with nice discounts. That’s simply not how Nvidia works.

JsoDGZg.png

(ignore the core layout on the 2080 SUPER for the moment. those are from a Quadro 5000)

the side effect in all these is Nvidia stopped giving out full-chip TU106 GPUs anymore o_o

I have a guess, but to make that guess I should have noted the availability trend of the 2070 throughout its retail life ,_,

I think the 2080 SUPER could go two ways now: a more aggressively cut-down TU102, or a full-chip TU104

Might get a 2080s depending on local pricing, want slightly more eyecandy in my favourite games.

38 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

JsoDGZg.png

(ignore the core layout on the 2080 SUPER for the moment. those are from a Quadro 5000)

the side effect in all these is Nvidia stopped giving out full-chip TU106 GPUs anymore o_o

I have a guess, but to make that guess I should have noted the availability trend of the 2070 throughout its retail life ,_,

I think the 2080 SUPER could go two ways now: a more aggressively cut-down TU102, or a full-chip TU104

1arqp8.jpg

37 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

JsoDGZg.png

Isn't 2080 ti 1200$ MSRP? 

2 hours ago, Quadriplegic said:

GN stated that water blocks are direct bolt on, but will have the wrong name plates (obviously).  Teardown videos coming next from them, but basically the 2070 super is a 2080 with some cores shut off and higher base/boost clock speeds.

I'm hoping local retailers will drop the price of the 2080 non super a bit to be more competitive and I might grab one of those if it gets close to 2070 super price.

Might not be as good as we hoped but its still more performance for my money

NEW RYZEN BUILD CPU: AMD 3800X (4.275 @ 1.325V) Motherboard: Asus STRIX X570-E GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SEA HAWK EK X RAM: 16GB G.Skill 3600MHz/CL14  PSU: Corsair RM850x Case: NZXT H700 White Cooling: EK Velocity + MSI EK 2080 block + D5 pump + 360mm rad + 280mm rad
WHAT MY GF INHERITED CPU: Intel i7-6700K (4.7GHz @ 1.39v) Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro GPU: Asus GTX 1070 8GB RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Hard Drive: WD Black NVMe SSD 512GB Power Supply: XFX PRO 550W  Cooling: Corsair H115i Case: NZXT Switch 810 (white) Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64bit Monitor: AOC 27" QHD 144Hz Keyboard: Corsair K70 Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Elite Audio: Bose QC25

This refresh is what the prices should have been from the get go, 2080 performance for  $500, 2070 performance for $400 and 2080ti performance for $700. 

Intel Core i5-8400 / ASRock Z370 Pro 4 / Hyper 212 Evo / 16GB DDR4 @3000 / MSI RTX 2070 Armor / Corsair RM550x / SanDisk 250GB / 1TB WD HDD / Fractal Design Define R4

1 hour ago, VegetableStu said:

FE pricing, although come to think of it I don't think I've seen an MSRP 2080ti that often...? o_o

who knows, maybe they will make 2080ti Super for 800$) 

10 minutes ago, Tedny said:

who knows, maybe they will make 2080ti Super for 800$) 

nah i wouldn't hold my breath on that ._. unless they somehow overstocked to the point of being unable to clear by june next year (i don't think this is how chip fabrication economics work, and I don't know either ,_,)

if anything, my guess would be that they'll cut down the 2080ti further to make the 2080 SUPER. so far the SUPER cards are of cut-down parts. it's not too absurd to guess that they'll rebrand the full RTX Quadro 5000 part as the 2080 SUPER, but the other possibility seems equally likely unless there's some clue to which chip is more abundant

... wow i need a break too, lol ,_,