Nvidia Super Card Reviews

Nvidia's new "Super Cards" reviews are out, below is a list of all the news GPU reviews I could find.

Nvidia Super Trailer:

Paul's Hardware:

Spoiler

Gamers Nexus:

Spoiler

Linus Tech Tips:

Spoiler

Hardware Unboxed:

Spoiler

HardwareCanucks:

Spoiler

Miscellaneous notes from reviews:

1/LTT:
The good:
+Good Thermals.
+2070 Comparable to 2080 Performance (for the most part).
+Consistent Boost clocks for both cards in gaming.

The meh:
Due to 2070/2080 being discontinued, they are the only option left for that bracket.

The not so good:
-Bad naming scheme.
-Good "value", but not revolutionary (not Anthony's words, but my sentiment from watching his review).

2/Gamer's Nexus:

The good:
+ 2070 Super has a very stable boost clock Frequency, according to Steve it is "nearly perfectly flat." 2060 is ever so slightly less stable, but still good.

The not so good:

-"It will sour recent RTX buyers with the refresh."

Opinion:

From what I've gathered, Nvidia could have done more. They are "decent" (quoting Anthony from LTT) but that's the current state of competition right now. I am hopeful for the Navi releases, but I'm honestly going to be cautiously optimistic this time. Been disappointed one too many times with GPU's for the past couple of years.

If Nvidia had just released these from the beginning, they would have been praised for their value instead of ridiculed for ridiculous pricing. I understand why Nvidia did this (corporate greed and a need to keep a backup/refresh for Navi launch), but its still disappointing for many, including everyone who bought a RTX-2070 or RTX-2080 before the super cards. I guess now, there are better value cards on the green team which is nice.

Just now, VegetableStu said:

dangit was going through the articles for their conclusions ,_,

2060_2070.png2060_2060.png

I'm still watching reviews and building my opinion. But it seems to be somewhat of a slight let down? Will update as I go

I'd say the RTX 2060 Super is the most intriguing card simply because you no longer have that video RAM bottleneck.  It might only be slightly faster in an all-things-being-equal situation, but push the resolution far enough (or just run a game that needs a lot of graphics memory) and the Super variant will definitely be the wiser choice.

Haven't watched GN's video yet...

Do the Super cards have similar PCB to older RTX cards? Basically, I am interested if existing water blocks will work with Super cards

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

I am anxiously awaiting the Navi reviews. Then, I have $230 in Amazon rewards saved up to make a dent in whichever makes more sense between the RTX 2070 Super and the 5700 XT.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

I'm guessing RTX non-super 2070 and 2080 sales were far below expectations because why this is a terrible marketing stragey. Think of it like cars. Makes would only facelift they're model only after a short duration of time if only the sales were beyond expectation. 

There's literally nothing super about these cards. What a boring yawnfest. Heh. Only useful if you're in a market for brand new card because your old one died or something. But I see almost no reason to upgrade to any of these from something from 1 or 2 generations ago. It's just pointless. Also the fact NVIDIA invests absolutely NOTHING into their software side is worrying. Still the same shitty ugly glitchy control panel, same fat ass worthless NVIDIA Experience junk, same broken ass FreeStyle feature that's "experimental" for years and still doesn't work in any god damn game I've tried it in. Like NVIDIA, wtf are you even doing with your software? So you make good HW. Big fucking deal when software is absolute worthless shit. I love the performance of my GTX 1080Ti, but its terrible software makes me want to get away from it as fast as possible. Which, when AMD starts pumping out at least some competent hardware in the future, it'll most likely happen.

I called it when I said they’d discontinue the old cards rather than drop the price down. People were too quick to assume that Nvidia would hand out the old cards with nice discounts. That’s simply not how Nvidia works.

Might get a 2080s depending on local pricing, want slightly more eyecandy in my favourite games.

38 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

JsoDGZg.png

(ignore the core layout on the 2080 SUPER for the moment. those are from a Quadro 5000)

the side effect in all these is Nvidia stopped giving out full-chip TU106 GPUs anymore o_o

I have a guess, but to make that guess I should have noted the availability trend of the 2070 throughout its retail life ,_,

I think the 2080 SUPER could go two ways now: a more aggressively cut-down TU102, or a full-chip TU104

1arqp8.jpg

2 hours ago, Quadriplegic said:

Haven't watched GN's video yet...

Do the Super cards have similar PCB to older RTX cards? Basically, I am interested if existing water blocks will work with Super cards

GN stated that water blocks are direct bolt on, but will have the wrong name plates (obviously).  Teardown videos coming next from them, but basically the 2070 super is a 2080 with some cores shut off and higher base/boost clock speeds.

I'm hoping local retailers will drop the price of the 2080 non super a bit to be more competitive and I might grab one of those if it gets close to 2070 super price.

Might not be as good as we hoped but its still more performance for my money

GAMING PC CPU: AMD 3800X Motherboard: Asus STRIX X570-E GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 3080 GAMING OC RAM: 16GB G.Skill 3600MHz/CL14  PSU: Corsair RM850x Case: NZXT MESHIFY 2 XL DARK TG Cooling: EK Velocity + D5 pump + 360mm rad + 280mm rad Monitor: AOC 27" QHD 144Hz Keyboard: Corsair K70 Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Elite Audio: Bose QC35 II
WHAT MY GF INHERITED CPU: Intel i7-6700K (4.7GHz @ 1.39v) Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro GPU: Asus GTX 1070 8GB RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Hard Drive: WD Black NVMe SSD 512GB Power Supply: XFX PRO 550W  Cooling: Corsair H115i Case: NZXT H700 White

This refresh is what the prices should have been from the get go, 2080 performance for  $500, 2070 performance for $400 and 2080ti performance for $700. 

If you guys hold off buying for now, Nvidia might release a newer refresh called the "Super Duper" edition.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

AMD will have to lower the prices of the 5700XT and 5700X to remain relevant even before launch. Otherwise, they are DOA. Sorry for AMD, but good for us.

Looks like some good shit from Nvidia.

I'm still salty that 2080 Super isn't coming out until later in the month.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT | ASUS ROG Strix X470-F | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @3400MHz | EVGA RTX 2080S XC Ultra | EVGA GQ 650 | HP EX920 1TB / Crucial MX500 500GB / Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Cooler Master H500M

I bought a 2070 a few months ago.. Its the first high end card I had ever bought new.. I feel buyers remorse personally haha. The cards should have been this from the start.

ROG Strix AMD

---------------

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HX GPU: AMD RX 6800M RAM: 16GB DDR4 Storage: 512GB + 1TB Intel SSD

I still can't find a reason why I should ditch my RX 580

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

I still can't find a reason why I should ditch my RX 580

No reason to if you're gaming at 1080p 60-75Hz or playing lower fidelity titles, it's a great card.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT | ASUS ROG Strix X470-F | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @3400MHz | EVGA RTX 2080S XC Ultra | EVGA GQ 650 | HP EX920 1TB / Crucial MX500 500GB / Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Cooler Master H500M

still can not afford to upgrade from a 7400m and i3 2330m.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

44 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

I wish they'd drop the VII price in the next month.  <.< I need a VII for that sweet blender/maya performance.  Hoping the Nitro+ Vega 64 goes down more on the used market too for my second rig.

With $300+ worth of HBM2 I wouldn't count on a VII price drop.

11 minutes ago, comander said:

It's probably less to do with "corporate greed" and more to do with "it's hard to get the clock speed up consistently". 

Honestly, just overclock your card and you're there. I doubt that post-OC results will be more than a few percentage points different. 

Edit: just saw that they added more cores/texture units to the parts. I'm wrong. This was a half decent upgrade.

I don''t like calling it "corporate greed" because all for-profit corporations are out there to make money (hey it's in the name). But it's Nvidia exercising their market power, especially on the pricing side (and stuff like adding VRAM to the 2060). They could have priced lower but chose not to in order to increase their profits. You might be right about their ability to raise clock speeds as their manufacturing process matures, though. I don't begrudge them of their decision as it's more or less what you'd expect of a manufacturer with few competitors in their industry, but I still see what they're doing.

I think they definitely swade me towards nividia over the 5700xt however AMD could very well upgrade that card later on via there scaling thing they say they have(possibly ray tracing)

Also i reckon after a good 2-3 months i think the 5700xt will go down by possibly £100 or 50 and thats when ill buy them over nividia due to the new architecture in them

I'm waiting for the RTX 2080 SuperDuper 

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

So much info to digest, man I love technology!

Looks like the best RTX to go with is the RTX 2060 Super for those that's looking to upgrade from their 5+ year old gpu.

AIB RTX 2060 don't have virtual link, but FE does. Can you even buy a FE 2060?

I know that laptop with 2060 also have virtual link port on the laptop itself.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list