Poor Performance to Samba share with Windows Server 2016 Essentials

Just now, Trilex said:

if i set the ssid of both routers to the same one will my devices switch between the stronger signal one? 

No, they need different SSIDs.

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

No, they need different SSIDs.

is there a way to make pcs and phones automatically switch between them or do i have to use a mesh network

Thanks

Technology is NEVER easy :(

1 minute ago, Trilex said:

is there a way to make pcs and phones automatically switch between them or do i have to use a mesh network

Thanks

For this use case you do not want that.  If you do something like this you will end up randomly congesting your network.

18 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

For this use case you do not want that.  If you do something like this you will end up randomly congesting your network.

i tried running iperf and i got 230Mbits 

iperf.PNG

5 minutes ago, Trilex said:

i tried running iperf and i got 230Mbits 

iperf.PNG

with ethernet it only got 100Mbits faster

iperf eth.PNG

Whats your connection map look like between the client you tested from and the server?

2 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

Whats your connection map look like between the client you tested from and the server?

wifi = client to router to server 

ethernet = client to router to server 

2 hours ago, Trilex said:

wifi = client to router to server 

ethernet = client to router to server 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/8-Port-Gigabit-Network-Smart-Ethernet-Switch-10-100-1000Mbps-Desktop-LAN-Hub-MDI/223484137825?hash=item3408b15161%3Ag%3Aiu4AAOSwqhddA3na&LH_BIN=1&frcectupt=true&autorefresh=true

This switch is full Gigabit with a full duplex mode IEEE 802.3x would this give me speed closer to gigabit speeds.? Also i am planning to setup a pf sense box and use bonding in Windows server 2016 to get a 2Gbps link would this be possible? If i do that would it allow two 2 users to read and write at 1Gbps ( My pcs and phones are only capable of 1Gbps which is y i want 2 people to be able to read and/or write at the same time. Would this be possible? 

https://louwrentius.com/achieving-450-mbs-network-file-transfers-using-linux-bonding.html

I read in this guide that to get faster transfer speeds you have to make sure each connection is on a seperate VLAN which is y i am installing pfsense. Is that true? if so can i do if? 

btw i also want to setup caching (pfsense can do it), steam, webpages etc. This is why i want to have full Gigabit speeds so i can add other things in  the future 

Thanks 

What command did you run, should be just a simple -s on the server and -c on the client. It is a bit odd to be that slow - what's between the wifi device and the wifi router?

Before outright buying a bunch of stuff, I'd just overall upgrade the wireless router to one that supports MIMO and a wireless card that supports MIMO. The rest of the devices can just connect to one of the many other antenas. This also simplifies your network and future proofs it. I'd ballpark $100-$150 for the router, maybe $30 for the card (USB 3 is fine).

Or if there's an electronic store nearby, buy an ethernet over powerline adapter and test it out. Look for AV1500 or greater. This is probably the best thing if it works imo.

6 hours ago, Trilex said:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/8-Port-Gigabit-Network-Smart-Ethernet-Switch-10-100-1000Mbps-Desktop-LAN-Hub-MDI/223484137825?hash=item3408b15161%3Ag%3Aiu4AAOSwqhddA3na&LH_BIN=1&frcectupt=true&autorefresh=true

This switch is full Gigabit with a full duplex mode IEEE 802.3x would this give me speed closer to gigabit speeds.? Also i am planning to setup a pf sense box and use bonding in Windows server 2016 to get a 2Gbps link would this be possible? If i do that would it allow two 2 users to read and write at 1Gbps ( My pcs and phones are only capable of 1Gbps which is y i want 2 people to be able to read and/or write at the same time. Would this be possible? 

https://louwrentius.com/achieving-450-mbs-network-file-transfers-using-linux-bonding.html

I read in this guide that to get faster transfer speeds you have to make sure each connection is on a seperate VLAN which is y i am installing pfsense. Is that true? if so can i do if? 

btw i also want to setup caching (pfsense can do it), steam, webpages etc. This is why i want to have full Gigabit speeds so i can add other things in  the future 

Thanks 

Bonding isnt going to help the drives be more responsive.  The drive is slow during transfers because the drive is slow.  I think you are running into other limits due to having a thrown together server share and using stuff not really intended for the use case you have it in.

First priority should be setting up a network between the server and client device, a central ethernet switch and static addresses would work.  Get this simple connection running at its rated bandwidth first.  Then start adding things like your WiFi AP, getting that to run at its rated bandwidth.  Lastly, bring the internet connection in and setup things like DHCP.  Each part you add should connect to the original ethernet switch, do not daisy chain anything if possible.  Any device that needs full GbE bandwidth should be connected to the central switch.

If you need to connect something to the server through multiple switches (the ports on the WiFi AP are switch ports too), the switches need to have a higher bandwidth connection to each other.  Something like 10GbE, or a single client can flood the uplink and reduce the available bandwidth to other devices on that segment.  The WiFi AP used for wireless network segmentation should not have any other devices attached to it through ethernet.

This is what you want, everything connected to a central switch directly...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_network

No guarantees on that e-bay switch either.  It should work given what it says it is, but it depends on its internal switching performance.

On 7/9/2019 at 12:52 AM, KarathKasun said:

Bonding isnt going to help the drives be more responsive.  The drive is slow during transfers because the drive is slow.  I think you are running into other limits due to having a thrown together server share and using stuff not really intended for the use case you have it in.

First priority should be setting up a network between the server and client device, a central ethernet switch and static addresses would work.  Get this simple connection running at its rated bandwidth first.  Then start adding things like your WiFi AP, getting that to run at its rated bandwidth.  Lastly, bring the internet connection in and setup things like DHCP.  Each part you add should connect to the original ethernet switch, do not daisy chain anything if possible.  Any device that needs full GbE bandwidth should be connected to the central switch.

If you need to connect something to the server through multiple switches (the ports on the WiFi AP are switch ports too), the switches need to have a higher bandwidth connection to each other.  Something like 10GbE, or a single client can flood the uplink and reduce the available bandwidth to other devices on that segment.  The WiFi AP used for wireless network segmentation should not have any other devices attached to it through ethernet.

This is what you want, everything connected to a central switch directly...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_network

No guarantees on that e-bay switch either.  It should work given what it says it is, but it depends on its internal switching performance.

i am planning to add a ssd cache to the share tho i have one question. i will soon be upgrading to 2x500GB hdds and 1x 120gb ssd cache. i am planning to use raid 1, my understanding is that the total size will be the smallest drive size (ssd). A is the ssd only caching and not part of the storage therefor the total size is 500GB. B  sdd is part of storage and total size will be 120GB. i am using windows storage spaces with tiering.  

Thanks  

9 hours ago, Trilex said:

i am planning to add a ssd cache to the share tho i have one question. i will soon be upgrading to 2x500GB hdds and 1x 120gb ssd cache. i am planning to use raid 1, my understanding is that the total size will be the smallest drive size (ssd). A is the ssd only caching and not part of the storage therefor the total size is 500GB. B  sdd is part of storage and total size will be 120GB. i am using windows storage spaces with tiering.  

Thanks  

You cannot configure Storage Spaces tiering with a single SSD and 2 HDDs, it will not let you do this as mixing a non-resilient tier with a resilient teir is not allowed. A single SSD can be used as a Journal which is the same thing as a Write-Back Cache found on RAID cards for example.

If you want to use tiering you'll need 2 SSD and 2 or more HDDs.