Windows System Recovery hasn't been backing up since October

The Windows 10 update from October 2018 no longer automatically backs up the system registry to the RegBack folder. This is a crucial, last defense step for many businesses and people. What I find even worse is Ghacks had spotted that "Registry backups would show “The operation completed successfully“, despite no backup file being created." Microsoft's explanation is they did it “to help reduce the overall disk footprint size of Windows”. And considering the backups are typically 50-100MB, they aren't saving a lot of space compared to the risk their users now face. Ultimately, there is a work around, but that involves editing the registry. 

Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2019/06/29/microsoft-windows-10-upgrade-registry-warning-upgrade-windows/#4bab739971ef

Does updating to the spring update fix it?

My rig:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 3.6Ghz, OC'ed to 4.2Ghz all core @ 1.25v + Corsair H60 120mm AIO

MB: Gigabyte B450 I Aorus Pro WiFi

RAM: Kingston Fury Beast RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3600mhz CL16 (1-to-1 Infinity Fabric enabled)

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super

*bought for $200 CAD off a friend who needed an RTX 3080, price was my reward.

CASE: InWinn A1 Plus in White with included 600w gold sfx PSU and included custom length cables

DISPLAY: 3x 20" AOC 1080p 60hz 4ms ,  32" RCA 1080p/60hz TV mounted above, all on a single arm.

Storage: C : 1TB WD Blue NVMe      D : 2TB Barracuda      E: 240GB Kingston V300 (scratch drive)

NAS: 240GB Kingston A400 + 6x 10+ year old 700GB Barracuda drives in my old FX8350+8GB DDR3 system

Logitech G15 1st Gen + Logitech G602 Wireless

Steam Controller +  Elite Series 2 controller + Logitech G29 Racing Wheel + Wingman Extreme Digital 3D Flight Stick

Sennheiser HD 4.40 Headphones + Pixel Buds 2 + Logitech Z213 2.1 Speakers

My Girlfriends Weeb-Ass Rig:

Razer Blade Pro 17 2020

10th Gen i7 10875H 8c/16t @5.1ghz 

17.3" 1080p 300Hz 100% sRGB, factory calibrated, 6mm bezel

RTX 2070 Max-Q 8GB

512GB generic NVMe

16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz

Wireless-AX201 (802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax), Bluetooth® 5.1, 2.5Gbit Ethernet

70.5 Whr Battery

Razer Huntsman Quartz, Razer Balistic Quartz, Razer Kraken Quartz Kitty Heaphones

*deep breath*

Razer Raptor 27" monitor, IT'S BEAUTIFUL.

1 hour ago, Jkohl613 said:

“to help reduce the overall disk footprint size of Windows”

What is this bullshit? They reserve 7GB for "future updates" now by default!

Bunch of idiots over there...

On 6/30/2019 at 8:31 AM, jagdtigger said:

The million+1 guide how to remove this junk says otherwise.....

Doesn't mean anything. Sites are just fighting for viewers. They hope that their guide will be on page 1 of Google for the few looking for this (or hope it may rise) and be there, even if they provide no additional information over other guides, as it is all based on someone else work (and many times they don't even test their own guides, suggesting commands to execute that is not related to anything of topic, for example).

Also there aren't a million... not even close.

On 6/30/2019 at 8:31 AM, ManIkWeet said:

Every 6 month, you'll have an update of Windows 10. That 7 GB will be consumed. The idea is that if you have too much data on your system, you don't have to fight to free up space, potentially accidentally delete files you didn't want to delete by mistake, every 6 month, frustrating the upgrade experience to the user.

So now, it's done once, and you are good.

While this feature is used every 6 month or so, Registry backup is never used, and I bet you didn't even know about this feature, especially that every registry guide never mentioned this, but instead opt to suggest to do a manual backup. Even CCleaner, tells you to do a manual backup before using their registry cleaner.

7 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Doesn't mean anything

Oh it does, if sites bother to make the articles, or even programs it means there is a real demand for them, plus:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/30/18645609/microsofts-universal-windows-app-dead-microsoft-store-windows-store

Then how maxon3d backpedaled and released CB20 outside the store, etc.....

It was dead on wp, it was dead on wiin8(.1), and its still a dead platform on windows 10. If you exclude the stuff MS moved there in an attempt to doctor statistics there will be hardly anything that could justify keeping it alive.

26 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Oh it does, if sites bother to make the articles, or even programs it means there is a real demand for them, plus:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/30/18645609/microsofts-universal-windows-app-dead-microsoft-store-windows-store

Now you are just talking crap. And it is completely off topic. What does a framework with a specific purpose has to do with anything?

Then how maxon3d backpedaled and released CB20 outside the store, etc.....

That has NOTHING to do with what you are pointed out. It has to do with the backlash and the great number of redistribution of the app. In order to control the quality of their app by ensuring that the version that they distribute is true, scores are right (and not faked by modding), keeping the benchmark software legit, they back pedal on the decision to save money. They initially put it on the store so they need to handle the server demand from people getting it. That is all. You can put any program you want from teh Store. Apple put in iTunes, for example. They recently added iCloud a weak or so ago.

It was dead on wp, it was dead on wiin8(.1), and its still a dead platform on windows 10. If you exclude the stuff MS moved there in an attempt to doctor statistics there will be hardly anything that could justify keeping it alive.

What the heck are you talking about? 

You are just spewing crap without understanding a single thing. Please do some reading.

Heh, are you shit posting?

32 minutes ago, ManIkWeet said:

I can't believe people complain over 7GB of space in year 2019 when massive HDD's cost literally peanuts. 55€ for 2TB WD Blue and 115€ for 2TB WD Black...

2 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I can't believe people complain over 7GB of space in year 2019 when massive HDD's cost literally peanuts. 55€ for 2TB WD Blue and 115€ for 2TB WD Black...

Even SSD's.. We are well bellow 0.30$ per GB. Some SSDs are even bellow 0.15$ per GB.

5 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

cost literally peanuts. 55€ for 2TB WD Blue and 115€ for 2TB WD Black...

To be honest, 55€ isn't "peanuts" to everybody. Nice for you to be in the group of people who can just throw 55€ on something on a whim, but I, for example, do not belong in that group.

That said, I do echo the sentiment: 7GB isn't anything.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Oh give me a break. What is 55€ ? I'd understand if you were taking a piss at me buying a 800€ SSD, but 55€? Really? Fine, then take 1TB WD Blue for 32€. It's still 1000GB. Meaning 7GB is a fart in the ocean.

2 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Oh give me a break. What is 55€ ? I'd understand if you were taking a piss at me buying a 800€ SSD, but 55€? Really? Fine, then take 1TB WD Blue for 32€. It's still 1000GB. Meaning 7GB is a fart in the ocean.

I have a 240gb ssd and not a place for another one nor the money for a bigger ssd I have a 1tb hdd however my laptop only has one 2.5" drive slot and zippo m.2 it is significant to me however I am on linux

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

7 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

That said, I do echo the sentiment: 7GB isn't anything.

Regardless of the fact, you'll need to free that space up, every 6 month or so,  for Windows update.

Same applies to any OS, including your phone with updates.

36 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

That has NOTHING to do with what you are pointed out

It has everything to do with it. Its one instance where users given a clear indication that they do not intend on using a bottom grade store....

36 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

You are just spewing crap without understanding a single thing. Please do some reading.

If you dont like reality feel free to stuck your head back into the sand. You can call it whatever you want, but modern apps always failed because users didnt care. There is no advantage to them compared to their traditional win32 counterpart, especially with the death of WP and windows as a tablet.

/EDIT

Back on topic. If they really want to save space remove anything from the OS that is not an integral part of the OS and let the users chose during the installation what they want(without default opt-ins and express options).

27 minutes ago, will4623 said:

7GB is one HD movie in pretty damn good quality. If people don't have this much space to spare to get free updates then what are you even doing with your life...

3 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

7GB is one HD movie in pretty damn good quality. If people don't have this much space to spare to get free updates then what are you even doing with your life...

Say this to ppl with low wages who got a cheap 2in1/laptop with 32 GB eMMC...... (MS even supported these lol.)

Edited by jagdtigger

5 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

not spending money on pc components? bible study and some programming, thinking about fixing up a car, playing besiege, minecraft and browser games, and then the things kind of required for life, oh and working. I like my life and I do not have the money or inclination to spend $500 on a laptop better than mine I do not need more storage or power right now I am doing plenty on my 768p or 1080p on a external monitor. I do not care what else it is the size of I do not need my OS to take up more storage than it needs to.

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

27 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

It has everything to do with it. Its one instance where users given a clear indication that they do not intend on using a bottom grade store....

People don't like change. People used to hate on Steam, and once Valve forced people to its platform, people now loves it, and are not open to anything else.

Epic Store tries to create competition to Steam and help indie game developer, people crap on it. Same with with the Store with Windows.

Same with GOG. Selling you games that are DRM free, and people still want DRM Steam.

They are numerous example of this.

Windows Start menu, Windows Taskbar, Unity under Ubuntu, and lots more, even down to people complaints on newer version of Windows for dropping old Windows default wallpapers.

If you dont like reality feel free to stuck your head back into the sand. You can call it whatever you want, but modern apps always failed because users didnt care. There is no advantage to them compared to their traditional win32 counterpart, especially with the death of WP and windows as a tablet.

LOL! You are the one that is stuck in the sand. And the Store has NOTHING to do with built-in apps, has NOTHING to do with UWP. They are all completely different things. You hate just because you want to hate, just because it is a different to what you were used to, that is all.

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

LOL! You are the one that is stuck in the sand. And the Store has NOTHING to do with built-in apps, has NOTHING to do with UWP. They are all completely different things. You hate just because you want to hate, just because it is a different to what you were used to, that is all.

But, the store IS a built-in app and it IS a UWP-app.

And the store is atm the easiest way to get UWP-apps sooo yea...

If you say they are different, fine, explain then.

People usually do not like change because they usually do not understand the reason behind it. Telling people why the change is needed and why it is good is at least as important, usually even more important than the change itself.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

19 minutes ago, will4623 said:

not spending money on pc components? bible study and some programming, thinking about fixing up a car, playing besiege, minecraft and browser games, and then the things kind of required for life, oh and working. I like my life and I do not have the money or inclination to spend $500 on a laptop better than mine I do not need more storage or power right now I am doing plenty on my 768p or 1080p on a external monitor. I do not care what else it is the size of I do not need my OS to take up more storage than it needs to.

Well, you said it yourself, not more than it needs to. Well, those 7GB isn't "more than it needs to". It's for the OS to update without shitting itself coz there isn't enough space.

Registry backup option has been disabled, but not removed. Ironically it can be enabled through registry edit and done manually. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, RejZoR said:

You know more than half the world doesn't see these low prices for storage right? In many "third world countries" for instance you consider yourself lucky if you can upgrade your laptop storage to a 120GB SSD.

It still matters to A LOT of people.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)