A GREAT Gaming Laptop for $830?? - Acer Nitro 5 (2019) Review

nicklmg
14 minutes ago, DLC2922 said:

How to overclock your display....

Same question here...

1 hour ago, DLC2922 said:

Video Soon?

I can't find anything particularly helpful anywhere else.

Nearly 9 minutes in and I am still waiting for the budget laptop. Probably budget for gaming laptops, but I wouldn't have wasted my time clicked on it if "gaming" had been in the title.  When I hear budget, I think of  $500€, maybe 600 max.

Those laptops look neat if it weren't for those red keys. They also offer a cheaper build on amazon with a Ryzen 5 and a RX 560 for 730€ but I have no idea, nor can i estimate, how that one would compare to the versions in the video.

Damn, I got a Nitro 5 a few months ago. Should've just waited for this.

The title on youtube should be the same as here, $830 is in no way budget for just a laptop. For me, budget gaming laptop could even have a 1050, medium/low in 1080p is not so bad on a mobile device. What is unacceptable though is 6bit panel, if it's anything like the other I've seen, I wouldn't touch the 5 version with a stick. 60Hz on the other hand seems fine, so I have to disagree with the screen section of the review.

I am really frustrated that it seems nobody cares about image quality. Gamers want as many Hz as possible, so you can have 120Hz+ screen cheaply, but if you want 1440p+  with good contrast and anything close to HDR, you're out of luck. TN is still being put over VA and IPS too usually, but then you try to watch the infamous GOT battle of Winterfell and see nothing. Computer screens are TNs that look not much better than my $80 ~10 year old display, IPSes with average contrast and that damn glow/uneven backlight, and VAs which are inferior to any VA that is put into TVs. I just don't get it, Netflix and Facebook don't need low input lag, why does it look like nobody cares about that? Is there no writer(?) in LMG who would want to rant about the poor selection of monitors that don't focus on FPS?

I was reading the commment section eariler today and I was surprised that people like me hate how the video title didn't have the name of the product being reviewed in the title. 

That being said I was also not aware that LMG made a comitment to improve. 

Though the title of this forum thread is also misleading. 

Though prehaps LMG could learn a thing or two from Mr Mobile. His titles are like this one except the thumbnail at least clearly states the main product of the video.

Anyway, I agree, the looks aren't that great which is sad but the Aspire 7 does have similar components but without the gaming looks though is simple not so avaialbe and not so well known. 

looking for this Laptop but can not find it in Canada if anyone can point me to this thanks. someone said its AN515-54-51M5

Budget gaming laptops =/= budget laptops.

A $300 chromebook is a budget laptop. Gaming laptops are a waste of money that appeals to the exact kind of audience you noted would fancy the aesthetic of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Where can I find this display overclocking software?

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/10/2019 at 12:47 PM, Patapon said:

I think it's built into the Nvidia Control Panel 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/29/2019 at 9:15 PM, DLC2922 said:

On 6/29/2019 at 9:29 PM, MYTONGUEOUT said:

Same question here...

On 6/29/2019 at 10:53 PM, SyntaxErrors said:

Video Soon?

I can't find anything particularly helpful anywhere else.

On 7/10/2019 at 5:47 AM, Patapon said:

First off im sorry for the thread necro. As so many people have asked and no one answered. I recently picked up this laptop and was wondering the same question. This was a popular google hit and I came here for answers.

Note: I am just picking the 90Hz option off the bat as thats what worked for me. If you are doing this by yourself on your own laptop I cant stress enough that you should be doing it in smaller jumps like 5 - 10hz at a time. Otherwise you will be spending a lot of time trying to find the sweet spot. Like for LTT the 90Hz setting has been solid and smooth for me. But I may have been lucky.

Windows:
You can do it in the Nvidia control Panel if your GPU ports directly to the montior but as this is a laptop it seems to do some voodoo between the CPU and GPU video display, I could not get it to give "display options" in the Nvidia control panel.

I downloaded and used CRU like Linus did in the video. Set a custom resolution of 1920x1080 at 90Hz. Saved it. Rebooted and then went into Display > Advanced Display Settings > Display Adapter properties for Display  > Monitor and in the drop down picked the 90Hz option.

Note: If you push it too far you will have to jump back into safe mode and re-set it. I recommend testing with 5Hz jump at a time.

After a reboot I was looking at 90Hz stable.

Linux:
This was a bit more complex but not too bad.

I recommend making sure you have both xrandr and arandr. so just apt / dnf / -S or whever you use to get them.

then do

cvt 1920x1080 90

This will give you an output like:

Modeline "1920x1080_90.00" 269.00 1920 2064 2272 2624 1080 1083 1088 1140 -hsync +vsync

remove the word "Modeline" and paste the rest into xrandr but with --newmode

xrandr --newmode "1920x1080_90.00" 269.00 1920 2064 2272 2624 1080 1083 1088 1140 -hsync +vsync

Next is xrandr --addmode <Name of DIsplay> "1920x1080_90.00"

xrandr --addmode eDP-1 "1920x1080_90.00"

Now all you have to do is run

arandr

and pick the 90Hz option.

(you will need to write a script to make this a full time setting)

Once again im sorry for the thread necro but hopefully this helps others like myself.

• 1 month later...

Are there any settings in CRU to improve my chances of getting a solid OC? my Nitro 5 cant even get 70hz without just going to a black screen.

Edit: I just re-watched the video, And I noticed that LTT's Nitro 5 has a 6bit panel, where mine is apparently an 8bit one. I have the AN515-54 which is the 8750h / 1660ti variant.

cru.png

• 3 weeks later...

Is it heavy? It looks heavy. Also can you take the HDD out and put in a SSD instead?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2019 at 8:56 AM, EchoBlue said:

Is it heavy? It looks heavy. Also can you take the HDD out and put in a SSD instead?

It's no "thin and light" but I wouldn't call it heavy either, especially for a gaming laptop. Although I upgraded to mine from an old 17" Asus laptop which was a lead-lined brick by comparison.

According to Acer's tech specs it weighs about 2.5kg or 5.5lb ... I don't have any scales lying around to weigh mine lol.

As for the hard drive, mine came with a 256GB M.2 ssd + a 1TB hard drive (which you could easily swap out for a Sata SSD). It also apparently has a second empty M.2 slot for another SSD, not sure if it supports NVMe though.