Streaming: Do you do it? Do you watch it? Why?

Video Beagle

I'm curious. The whole game streaming world is alien to me. I'm not a huge gamer, but Ive been exposed to lots of things watching LTT and so, and I really don't understand game streaming...why people would do it...like Colton has a whole set up to stream him playing games...or why people watch someone else playing a game..I mean, they're not walk throughs or guides...just..playing.

Youtube keeps trying to foist a video of someone doing a speed run thru a Link game at me...I mean, it's not even the guy's speed run, but someone talking about this other guy's speed run.

So, I'm just wondering about the why's on both side of the equation.... (I mean, this could be a "if it's too loud, you're too old" situation with me, but I'd like to hear about folk's reasons).

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

I don't do it, never will. Regardless of the fact that my internet would not be able to handle it. it takes a certain type of person to be able to steam and be entertaining. I honestly believe too many people try and do it thinking they are going to be the next by thing. You need to have amazing luck and talent to be a streamer, something I don't think most people have. the only streams I watch are from people I already know about from youtube, I don't go and find streamers 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I watch streams sometimes, usually it's about hanging out with the streamer and chat while I do something else. The game itself is just something to talk about and depending on the streamer you may also get to see some high level gameplay and learn a few tricks.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

30 minutes ago, Arika S said:

thinking they are going to be the next by thing.

Can you elaborate on this? What happens if they're "big"?

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

The only streams I watch are esports ones if those technically count? I'm not into watching your average Joe streaming Apex Legends because I find that an odd use of time, but I can still see the appeal of getting entertainment out of watching someone play a game that you might possible never be able to play for yourself, or if you enjoy the streamer's personality.

I like watching competitive gaming streams such as ESL One, E-League, & StarSeries for Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, as well as Rocket League Championship Series for Rocket League.

I like to call these types of streams "television streams" as I find I typically watch these competitive streams on TV.

I do have my own Twitch channel, I only ever stream when a friend of mine wants to see some gameplay of a game I'm playing.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

1 minute ago, seoz said:

I watch are esports ones if those technically count?

I don't know...so is it like actually watching a team sport, rather than single game player?

Just now, Video Beagle said:

I don't know...so is it like actually watching a team sport, rather than single game player?

Think of like, watching NBA, NFL, MLS, NHL, stuff like that, except in a competitive gaming environment, so there's a stadium - at least in the big esports leagues - with player booths, casters/commentators, the chants of fans etc.

It is very different from a gamer in their room with a webcam playing a game so I wasn't sure if it counted as a 'stream'.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

19 minutes ago, seoz said:

It is very different from a gamer in their room with a webcam playing a game so I wasn't sure if it counted as a 'stream'.

I don't either :) but it's something new I've learned about and that's always good :D

30 minutes ago, Video Beagle said:

Can you elaborate on this? What happens if they're "big"?

Money and popularity. a fair amount of people would look at a famous steamer and how much money they make and think "I could do that"

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I both watch streams and stream occasionally.

For watching, I go to watch a game I myself usually play and the person playing the game as they can be entertaining. It's also nice to be able to chat with the other viewers (from a couple dozen to thousands). I usually also tend to watch the people that are very good at the said game like pro's. There's really only a handful I watch that aren't pros (Lirik, disguisedtoast [when he's not playing hearthstone], pokimane, and a couple of others). I like them because they're funny and sometimes make hilarious fails at the games they are playing.

Also when someone says get big they mean become the most viewed streamer. Most big streamers make up to if not more than 6 figures a year.

I sometime watch girl streamer because that's is the only time girl will respond to me PepeHands

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

6 hours ago, TheRevTastic said:

Most big streamers make up to if not more than 6 figures a year.

Seriously? How..Patreon? Game companies sponser them to play their things? that kind of thing?

13 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

why people watch someone else playing a game..I mean, they're not walk throughs or guides...just..playing.

Because it's hilarious. Pick a game and watch these dudes play it. Thank me later.

On 6/29/2019 at 2:37 PM, Video Beagle said:

Seriously? How..Patreon? Game companies sponser them to play their things? that kind of thing?

All of what you said plus advertisements (just like youtube) and donations (tons of people donate money to get a message on the streamers show, most streamers will have like the message pop up with a notification and a noise and have like the microsoft voice read it aloud) and then twitch has bits which are a safer form of donations so people can't chargeback via paypal.

I watch streamers for the entertainment they provide, and it doesn't come from the game, it comes from the person hosting the stream. Tyler1 is one of my favourite streamers. He's funny and he's good at the game he is playing. Also his variety streams were great, even though he wasn't playing League of Legends. That just proves my point, it's not the game, it's the host.

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

A few years ago I didn't understand it either, I had the attitude of "why would I watch someone else play a game when I can just play it myself".  But I eventually got into watching streamers, be it for the high level of game play and or tactics to apply to my own game play, or for the entertaining personality.

I stream, mostly for fun and because it's good to have some people to talk to while you're playing.

I'm one of those who've never understood the appeal.  I've tried to watch a few streams on twitch to check out some gameplay clips and I can't give any video more than couple minutes.  I'm more interested in just gameplay videos without any commentary.  I recently was looking trying to lookup gameplay videos on youtube for a game before deciding to buy it and was just irritated at all the commentary over the gameplay.  I mean, I'm all for commentary if I'm looking up a game review.

But there's obviously a market for this as some streamers have 1000s of viewers.  I'm just not part of that market.

No and no. 

I rather be playing than watching someone play. I tried watching friends stream but by God it's boring. 

The only thing I watch is YouTube to check Gameplay before buying or help with a hard part. I appreciate those people who review or put out guides or let's play (full game plays) for educational purposes.  That's about it. 

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

Back in my student days, some 20 years ago, I used to sit with my roommate and watch him play JRPGs like Grandia and FF7 on the Playstation. They weren't the kind of games I've ever got into playing, but I was able to experience the story while enjoying good company. Maybe it's like that if you're watching the same people regularly. All my friends these days are retro-gaming youtubers, although most of them don't know they're my friends.