Networking Issue w/ Two Routers & Packet Loss

MrSilverFox
Go to solution Solved by Windows7ge,

Can you set the TP Link to bridged mode? From there it should act as a AP & a wired switch. Everything will get an IP from the RG. If the issue has anything to do with leases, or time outs this could help.

Hello,

So I've been at it for a few months now. I'm not a professional with networking, but I dabble very loosely for connecting and setting stuff up. I'm having an issue now with our home network disconnecting for 10-15 seconds at a time every fifteen minutes or so.

Bare with me as I try to explain the setup of the network.

All Ethernet drops in the house converge in the basement, these then plug into an unmanaged switch. The switch then has a 'send' cable to our TP-Link AC1750 router upstairs on a 192.168.2.1 network. From there, a 'return' cable transmits back to the gigabit modem/gateway router in the basement provided to us by our ISP, which is a Residential Gateway 844GE-1 and it has a network of 192.168.200.1. The only device attached to this is the TP-Link router.

Now the issue of the connection drop occurs between the TP-Link and the Residential Gateway. I can ping the TP-Link for hours, with no drop of connection from my main computer on the 192.168.2.x. But when I begin to ping the 192.168.200.1, I can let it sit for an hour or two and I will receive about 6-15% packet loss ratios. This is enough to be playing a game on Xbox to watch it kick me out, have sites fail to load on mobile, and basically enough to cause a nuisance consistently.

Finally getting a technician out to help, he ended up replacing the Residential Gateway and also verified the cable runs. He left after that saying to call us back if we have any more troubles. Well, about 30 minutes after leaving the same problems have cropped back up and it is after hours and now weekend time and I don't want to be charged weekend service rates so I was reaching out to the internet to see about some ideas/solutions to help stabilize this a bit more? It seems to have gotten worse since we began to really notice it a few months ago.

We use the TP-Link router because it offers more features and controls, and the Wi-Fi has better coverage than the basement Residential Gateway. The RG also does not offer a bridge mode.

Thoughts on where to go from here?

Thanks,

Can you set the TP Link to bridged mode? From there it should act as a AP & a wired switch. Everything will get an IP from the RG. If the issue has anything to do with leases, or time outs this could help.

I don't understand why you have the res gateway? And you're best to remove the switch from the front of the TP

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

I also suggest draw your setup on paper. Can make it easier to see whats happening (just in case words fail)

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

See it sounds to me like you're doing this and I don't understand why the extra device in the basement.

net.png.3136f959a0dc8ab4e2cb339e3368be01.png

FYI here is an easy place to create a diagram https://www.draw.io/

37 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Would this break any current configurations since everything is configured to the TP-Links setup?

35 minutes ago, keskparane said:

I don't understand why you have the res gateway? And you're best to remove the switch from the front of the TP

The gateway is needed because it has the actual internet fiber connection plugged into it in the basement. Like the incoming fiber line goes directly into it.

I can't easily remove the switch because all drops are terminated in the basement and wouldn't reach to the TP upstairs, which sources our wireless signal and most parental/access controls and better security options than the Gateway.

34 minutes ago, keskparane said:

I also suggest draw your setup on paper. Can make it easier to see whats happening (just in case words fail)

Can do. Will work on it.

25 minutes ago, keskparane said:

See it sounds to me like you're doing this.

net.png.e518daf7cb99340766a6c781365ca755.png

FYI here is an easy place to create a diagram https://www.draw.io/

Edited because picture loaded, but it's a little off. I will try and use the Draw.io and see if I can get a basic network diagram.

6 minutes ago, MrSilverFox said:

Would this break any current configurations since everything is configured to the TP-Links setup?

You may have to run "ipconfig /renew" on your windows clients or disable/re-enable interfaces, or unplug and replug the network cables, and disconnect & reconnect your wireless clients but it'd get rid of your double NAT and I'm wondering if that would in any way help the problem.

This is a little more accurate for what it seems like we have. If that helps

image.png.3a0851caeb2ac172fcf397419ec39cd5.png

16 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

You may have to run "ipconfig /renew" on your windows clients or disable/re-enable interfaces, or unplug and replug the network cables, and disconnect & reconnect your wireless clients but it'd get rid of your double NAT and I'm wondering if that would in any way help the problem.

Double NAT could be a problem because I get messages about that issue on my console every now and again. But... I still don't see how I can turn the TP into just 'wifi mode'. That might take a bit more work that I would have to do tomorrow because the TP-Link dishes out DHCP. And I guess I just don't know if the RG would pass the DHCP through the other router because it doesn't have just a switch or option for a 'bridge/wifi' mode that I can see.

Just plug all wires from upstream devices into a LAN port rather than a wan port. Set tp link to 192.168.200.10 network but dont offer dhcp.

21 minutes ago, keskparane said:

Just plug all wires from upstream devices into a LAN port rather than a wan port. Set tp link to 192.168.200.10 network but dont offer dhcp.

Alright. I suppose I will give this a try tomorrow and see what I can mess up haha! I'll come back and update on what happens with it later. Thanks

2 hours ago, MrSilverFox said:

nd I guess I just don't know if the RG would pass the DHCP through the other router because it doesn't have just a switch or option for a 'bridge/wifi' mode that I can see.

It will. I know this because at one time I had a Dlink DIR835 connected to a Comcast gateway once. I just connected the Dlink device LAN to LAN on the Comcast gateway. I disabled DHCP, Firewall and NAT on the DLink box as well. It just did WiFi and acted like a switch. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 6/28/2019 at 8:11 PM, keskparane said:

On 6/28/2019 at 10:31 PM, Donut417 said:

It will. I know this because at one time I had a Dlink DIR835 connected to a Comcast gateway once. I just connected the Dlink device LAN to LAN on the Comcast gateway. I disabled DHCP, Firewall and NAT on the DLink box as well. It just did WiFi and acted like a switch. 

Thank you for your help.

I removed the WAN link, and DHCP, and removed all reservations and such that I had set in the TP-Link. Plugged in the cables directly to the switch, and then had an uplink from the switch to a LAN port on the RG.

Everything is one network, the Double NAT issue should be gone, and my wireless still works upstairs so the parents are happy haha.

I've been for about 20 minutes without a packet drop to either router with pings to them, and hopefully I can go at least a few hours without a drop.

Thank you both for the advice and kinda helping me in the right direction before I dove in and broke it more.