Nvidia Sent A Busted RTX 2070

King Herod

This is my first post to the forum. I've been a long time LTT watcher, just never had a tech issue... until now. So I bought a RTX 2070 FE back in November 2018 and it ran fine until about a month ago. Suddenly certain games would have random crashes. It wasn't all the games I played; so I thought maybe it was game updates, but eventually I figured it had to be a graphics driver issue. When I preformed a clean install on my driver I started getting green artifacting bleeding out of my desktop. So I contact Nvidia tech support and go through a few steps and they decide yes, it's the card. I RMA it back and within 2 weeks I get the new RTX 2070. 

Mind you, while I waited on the new card I was using my GTX 970 the whole time without issue. I get the new RTX 2070 and within an hour it breaks. I start getting the space invader artifacts that affected all FE cards at launch. I contact Nvidia and explain they sent me a bad card. They tell me it's not the card, but I didn't do a complete uninstall of my drivers. I do that and the card breaks again, same space invaders. Now they tell me it's my IGPU. I explain to them that my IGPU has been enabled for years without issue. The 970 and the older 2070 had no issues until they sent me the new card.

So to prove it to them I run FurMark for over an hour with my 970, no driver refresh, IGPU still enabled and it goes great. I then go to BIOS and disable IGPU, do a complete refresh of my drivers, load up FurMark and it crashes consistently within 30 seconds of running. Now they're telling me that even though my IGPU is disabled in BIOS I must still have it enabled and it's Intel's fault not their card.

I don't know if anyone can help me. When in Windows nothing shows the Intel card. I have no way of reaching any over the main tech support people's head. They are basically making me take their faulty card. Any ideas?

Here's a video of the new RTX 2070 crashing. You'll see that FurMark doesn't show any other cards attached. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRDKt7_v3Fc

5 minutes ago, King Herod said:

Here's a video of the new RTX 2070 crashing. You'll see that FurMark doesn't show any other cards attached. 

That's crazy!!

image.png.b32537f1be5de116acd995a6a853ea5c.png

What's the rest of your system specs out of curiosity? It doesnt appear to be an overheating issue which is good

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

28 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

That's crazy!!

image.png.b32537f1be5de116acd995a6a853ea5c.png

What's the rest of your system specs out of curiosity? It doesnt appear to be an overheating issue which is good

I've got an older rig: I7 3770k, 16GB Ram, 500 GB SSD with 3 - 2TB HDD's, sitting on a AsRock Fatal1ty z77 Professional mobo. I'm also dual booting with a 64 GB SSD that houses Ubuntu 18.04. The BIOS is fully updated.

The GTX 2070 is really my last upgrade before I buy a new system, either by the end of this year or next, depending on Ryzen benchmarking. But if I have to shell out another half a grand for a graphics card that'll really push the rest of my upgrades back. 

Look a lot like someone can't help you out on this and not sending the tech case over people that will really help on this. Ask them if they can escalate your case or at least know how to troubleshoot out of their guidelines.

Edit: Try to see in HWinfo64 what temps and clockspeed look like before it crashes, when looking at the graphic which i guess is temp. in the bottom of the screen, temp is not even stable yet that it crash.

Edit 2: Am i seeing a core clock of 1905mhz when its crashed ?!?!

Main System: Ryzen 2700, Asus Crosshair VII Hero, EVGA GTX 1080ti SC, 970 EVO Plus NVMe, Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz CL14, CM H500, CM ML240L cpu cooler.

Second System: Ryzen 2400G, Gigabyte B450 DS3H, RX 580 Nitro+, Kingston A400 SSD, Team T-Force 3200mhz CL15

If it ain't overclocked it ain't good...

AM4 boards VRM rating list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

Buildzoid's AM4 motherboard roundup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti38JS8RuPU

I went to Best Buy to see if they'd run Furmark on a test bench, but the guy told me it would be $100 to do it and it would have to be done on my PC. Since Nvidia thinks it's my system that's the issue that won't work... So I bought a crappy gaming rig and am going to test it on a brand new PC. Video coming soon

Have you tried to underclock the memory from 14 to 12Ghx ?

Let's agree to disagree

I have tested this card in a Rysen 5 brand new PC with the same result. It's sad Nvidia thinks it's not the new card they sent me

Have you tried to increase voltage, lower coreclock speed and lower memory speed with Afterburner, just to see if you artefacts goes away?

Main System: Ryzen 2700, Asus Crosshair VII Hero, EVGA GTX 1080ti SC, 970 EVO Plus NVMe, Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz CL14, CM H500, CM ML240L cpu cooler.

Second System: Ryzen 2400G, Gigabyte B450 DS3H, RX 580 Nitro+, Kingston A400 SSD, Team T-Force 3200mhz CL15

If it ain't overclocked it ain't good...

AM4 boards VRM rating list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

Buildzoid's AM4 motherboard roundup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti38JS8RuPU

1 hour ago, Mathieu9836 said:

Have you tried to increase voltage, lower coreclock speed and lower memory speed with Afterburner, just to see if you artefacts goes away?

I have not. It's supposed to be a brand new replacement card for the one that failed. Doesn't seem right have to under clock it just to get it working

1 hour ago, King Herod said:

I have not. It's supposed to be a brand new replacement card for the one that failed. Doesn't seem right have to under clock it just to get it working

But if it solves your issue, then you can probably get a replacement no hassle. 

I would honestly just demand a replacement. 

There are ways to test all your other components. Do those or just tell them that you have and the only issues come from the gpu

Edited by orlando690

Baby Beast:

B450m Mortar // 3700x // T Force Vulcan 16gb // Gaming X Trio RTX 2070S // sx8200 pro // 850W G

Just RMA the gpu. Not worth it at this point.

Current PC (Second Build) : CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 (OC @3.8GHz, sometimes pushed to 4GHz) RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4-2666 (OC @2733Mhz, sometimes pushed to 2800 for testing purposes)   GPU: PowerColor Radeon RX570 8gb MOBO: ASRock B450m Pro4 SSD: Inland 120gb HDD: 1tb Seagate Barracuda PSU: Cooler Master Masterwatt 500w Lite Case: NZXT H500 OS: Arch Linux+ KDE Plasma [Desktop Environment] & Windows 10 Pro [Broken due to grub 50% of the time]

Accessories: Mouse: Alienware AW958 Elite Keyboard: Corsair K63 Wireless  Headphones: Samsung Level On Pro

Phone (waiting on arrival): Samsung Galaxy Note 9

22 hours ago, ImAyaanKhan said:

Just RMA the gpu. Not worth it at this point.

That's what I've been trying to get Nvidia to let me do, but they keep blaming other parts of my system. After buying a separate PC and showing that the card is what's crashing both rigs, they've finally agreed to RMA the card. 

On 6/28/2019 at 10:16 AM, King Herod said:

I've got an older rig: I7 3770k, 16GB Ram, 500 GB SSD with 3 - 2TB HDD's, sitting on a AsRock Fatal1ty z77 Professional mobo. I'm also dual booting with a 64 GB SSD that houses Ubuntu 18.04. The BIOS is fully updated.

The GTX 2070 is really my last upgrade before I buy a new system, either by the end of this year or next, depending on Ryzen benchmarking. But if I have to shell out another half a grand for a graphics card that'll really push the rest of my upgrades back. 

If it is within warranty call nvidia cuz idk

4 hours ago, SuperNerd Kid said:

If it is within warranty call nvidia cuz idk

Didn't Read Comment LOL! Them telling you they didn't get the video is total Bullcrap. Tell them You Wasn't Born Yesterday and they sent you a bad card. Grab an amd card of similar performance if they don't reply

1 hour ago, King Herod said:

That's what I've been trying to get Nvidia to let me do, but they keep blaming other parts of my system. After buying a separate PC and showing that the card is what's crashing both rigs, they've finally agreed to RMA the card. 

Hey 3rd time's the charm right? I think I'll stick with amd cards for the time being.

50 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

Hey 3rd time's the charm right? I think I'll stick with amd cards for the time being.

lol I hope so... 

I've been buying Nvidia cards for a long time and never had an issue with them. But the fact they've got the 20 series priced so high wasn't a good look in my opinion. Now I've been through 2 cards and both failed. I'm nervous to see what the new card does. 

2 hours ago, King Herod said:

lol I hope so... 

I've been buying Nvidia cards for a long time and never had an issue with them. But the fact they've got the 20 series priced so high wasn't a good look in my opinion. Now I've been through 2 cards and both failed. I'm nervous to see what the new card does. 

I Wonder if nvidia is reading this. I sure hope they are

Yikes. I’ve considered buying a Founders Super but this might change my mind here. 

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT | ASUS ROG Strix X470-F | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @3400MHz | EVGA RTX 2080S XC Ultra | EVGA GQ 650 | HP EX920 1TB / Crucial MX500 500GB / Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Cooler Master H500M

21 minutes ago, melete said:

Yikes. I’ve considered buying a Founders Super but this might change my mind here. 

Can't Blame you, LongLive AMD!

3 hours ago, King Herod said:

lol I hope so... 

Lol I can guarantee you that if this goes widespread and they treat everyone affected like they have treated you it will be a lawsuit for reasons that are obvious

My advice for dealing with nvidia. You can't fix stupid, But you can outsmart It