Does 240Hz Matter for Gaming ft. Gav from The Slow Mo Guys

nicklmg

Fantastic stuff.  
Founder of Blur Busters here.

All 240 Hz mythbusting is super welcome in the refresh rate race to future retina refresh rates!

The Slo Mo Guys should do some high speed video of refresh cycles in real time.  There's the TestUFO test, as well as the article with IPS + TN + OLED High Speed Video Comparision

High Speed Video of IPS LCD

High Speed Video of TN LCD

High Speed Video of OLED

More high speed videos can be found at www.blurbusters.com/scanout

If you do any more like this, please take more data.

It should be pretty easy to programmatically track the shots and # frames between events.

No need to manually scrape the data.  

Next time have them record macro shots of the screen refreshing.

Something like 1 subpixel on the physical screen gets about 240x120 - 320x160 in the recording.

Enjoy my attempt at photography...

After testing several different monitors I can say that I personally benefit more from higher resolution then refresh rate. I think that the careful aiming, one shot one kill, playing style benefit more from higher DPI monitor then high Hz.  In the end it's all about the balance, I found that 144Hz 1440p monitor was the sweet spot for me.

It would therefore be interesting to see 144Hz added to this test and different resolutions. 

Since you did slapping Linus, here are some suggestions on recreating Sl Mo Guys videos in the next one:

Spoiler

"Mark NUTT!"

Awesome that you had Gavin in on this! Gotta love how he always brings good ol Britishness into anything he does.

He's crazy busy, between Achievement Hunter (Roosterteeth), Slow Mo Guys, and things like this, its no wonder you see him less often on the LetsPlay and Achievement Hunter vids.. which is a shame, i always find the ones he's in the more entertaining.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

I know the video was all about refresh rates, and I have never felt an ill will towards linus...but...

god that felt so damn satisfying when he got slapped, i also loved how it seemed like the whole studio pricked up when they asked for volunteers

Someone In the official CSGO subreddit(r/GlobalOffensive) wanted LTT to get pro players like Shroud or NAF for testing like these.

People there know what these players are capable of. So I just wrote a small Copypasta/Fanfiction dreaming of Shroud coming to LTT studios for testing.

I'm here to share with you all, my "art".

OK lemmy set the scene for you.....

Shroud sits on the chair, insists to use his own Logitech, Linus agrees just to eliminate all possible variables so they get best case results.

Edzel wants a shroud autograph on his shirt, but can't get one right now. So he's thinking of a future where he has a Shroud autographed cap and proceeds to giggle softly.            

Linus gives him the nod to start moving his CT model.
Edzel presses W but instantly starts giggling louder while hiding his face under his cap. Linus looks at the screen....eyes wide, eye brows raised, jaws half dropped he looks at Gav who looks confused as to what just happened.            

We focus on screen to see Shroud's aim, but there's no slow-mo.
As soon as the CT moved, Shroud flicked, hit a headshot before whole CT model could come out of cover. Kill-feed registers a Headshot, but with an new Icon which Linus has never seen before.
The icon was for a Wall spam shot.

Camera turns back to Linus, as he asks Gav, still confused, "Did you get that?"               
Gav replies, "Get what? Character wasn't even on screen!"               
It all happened so quickly that Gav forgot to press the save button on his Phantom.        

Linus realises what happened. In a split second he could see the mythical aimbot ShroudyRowdy.exe.                   

He's amazed but still just smiles.

In the meantime, Mike looks back, he heard what Gav said, but doesn't know what happened. In his mind he just "played like he normally would".                 
He sees Linus.... smiling....He hears Edzel....Giggling.....He sees the confusion Gav is in. But the only words he says "Did I do something wrong?"

Feel free to point me out or even delete if it doesn't follow any thread rules.

If Linus or Co sees this...... Pls make this happen 

What monitor was used to do the test? It looks like you are using the Acer KG27, which only can go to 144hz. ?

they forgot to mention it deepen on what kind of game  open end  builder game  60 is fine  in and even some i play itis all you get because of how performance demand the game is in cpu  

Just want to pop in and say we _could_ make a custom "game" just for this study. Lots and lots of potential improvements to be made with the methodology, and maybe some added entertainment value too :p Hit me uuup LTT team - I have ideas, and the know-how to do it properly?

On 6/28/2019 at 3:06 AM, donquist said:

What monitor was used to do the test? It looks like you are using the Acer KG27, which only can go to 144hz. ?

It's Acer KG251QD (KG251QDbmiipx), my monitor.

On 6/30/2019 at 4:30 PM, selecadm said:

It's Acer KG251QD (KG251QDbmiipx), my monitor.

Ah ok, thank you for the clarification.

Does anyone here know whether or not the full slow-motion footage could be made public ally available? I think there could be some valuable data to be gained by analyzing the path taken relative to the position of the target, rather than purely the points at which the shots were actually taken. Does the increased frame rate result in more physically optimal tracking? (ie. if you take a mathematically predicted path for the target, and determine what movement is necessary to be in position during the next frame, how close is the actual movement to that optimal path?)

I have typically thought of high refresh rate as enabling high-skill players to better use their skill, not so much making someone better.  so as far as suggestions for further testing goes, I think it would be cool to see this kind of test (with way more trials, especially blind ones) on a group of professional CS:GO players.  Possibly LTT could reach out via a brand sponsor of some team?  I think the somewhat favorable towards high refresh rate results of this test would be compelling evidence to get a brand to come aboard.