Help with new M.2 SSD

GamerForFun

I just bought a new Samsung 970 evo plus 1TB, so i installed it in my pc. Everything went fine, bios detected it no problem and i found it in the device manager but I'm not allowed to write to the drive.

I haven't installed new storage in my pc for 4 years so i have forgotten if there are some special thing you need to do to be able to write to it.

In the screen shot you can see that its detected by both device manager and Samsung magic but not my file explorer.

Any tips?

Screenshot_1.png

Try to update your firmware and I see from picture you're using microsoft nvme driver. Maybe you should try to install samsung's nvme driver.

I tried to do that but i just get this after it half way through updating

Screenshot_2.png

Just now, AdventurerIX said:

go into disk management and then format and create a new partition on the drive

It asks if i want it as a MBR (Master Boot Drive) or GPT (GUID Partition Drive)?

I'm not going to use it as a boot drive since my old 840 Sata drive is still fast enough for me in boot so do i just select GUID?

Just now, GamerForFun said:

It asks if i want it as a MBR (Master Boot Drive) or GPT (GUID Partition Drive)?

I'm not going to use it as a boot drive since my old 840 Sata drive is still fast enough for me in boot so do i just select GUID?

Yes because you are only using it to create a partition drive not your boot drive

3 minutes ago, AdventurerIX said:

Yes because you are only using it to create a partition drive not your boot drive

I've done that now, is there anything else? It still isn't detected in file manager and according to disk manager its unallocated 

12 minutes ago, GamerForFun said:

10 minutes ago, AdventurerIX said:

MBR & GPT is how the partition data is created/stored, and despite the name MBR doesn't mean it has to be an OS boot drive. I'd initialise it as MBR for the sake of compatibility.