Locking Graphics Card

Virel
Go to solution Solved by kirashi,
1 hour ago, Virel said:

So, the reason I wanted to do this is because I'm looking into selling gpus using a subscription based payment plan service, but I'm not sure how to enforce a consequence if payments aren't being made.

No. Just, but... why? Unless you plan on spinning up a data centre housing rentable servers people can stream their games from (similar to PSNow or Google Stadia) I really don't see the value in this for consumers. You can't lock most pieces of hardware with a password unless the manufacturer provides this functionality in the firmware. Hard drives and business class motherboards are the only 2 exceptions in the consumer space, so I mean, you could theoretically "rent" a laptop, but once you give someone the startup password they could just opt to never return it so I really don't understand.

Is there a way to lock a dedicated gpu so that it would require a password or code in order for it to output an image? 

Set a password for the user account. That way, everything is safe, not just your display outputs!

...Or am I missing the point?

Screwdriver specs: Long, pointy. Turns things. Some kind of metal.

Main rig: 

i9-7900x | Asus X299-Prime | 4x8GB G-Skill TridentZ @3300MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | Intel 5400S 1TB | Corsair HX1200

unRAID server:

Xeon  E5-1630v4 |  Asus X99-E WS | 4x8GB G-Skill DDR4 @2400MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB cache drive | 12TB spinning rust | Corsair RM750X

FreeNAS server:

AMD something-or-other | Asus prebuilt sadness | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 9TB magnetic storage | Potential fire threat

HTPC:

i7-4790 | GTX1650 | Dell Sadness | 12GB DDR3-1600 | Samsung 860 250GB | 1TB magnetic storage | James Loudspeaker SPL3 x2 | Corsair SF450

1 minute ago, Lord Mirdalan said:

Set a password for the user account. That way, everything is safe, not just your display outputs!

...Or am I missing the point?

The intent is for the rest of the machine is to be entirely useable just without access to the GPU.

Just now, Virel said:

The intent is for the rest of the machine is to be entirely useable just without access to the GPU.

But without a display output, the machine won't be usable by a human. What are you trying to accomplish?

Screwdriver specs: Long, pointy. Turns things. Some kind of metal.

Main rig: 

i9-7900x | Asus X299-Prime | 4x8GB G-Skill TridentZ @3300MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | Intel 5400S 1TB | Corsair HX1200

unRAID server:

Xeon  E5-1630v4 |  Asus X99-E WS | 4x8GB G-Skill DDR4 @2400MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB cache drive | 12TB spinning rust | Corsair RM750X

FreeNAS server:

AMD something-or-other | Asus prebuilt sadness | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 9TB magnetic storage | Potential fire threat

HTPC:

i7-4790 | GTX1650 | Dell Sadness | 12GB DDR3-1600 | Samsung 860 250GB | 1TB magnetic storage | James Loudspeaker SPL3 x2 | Corsair SF450

So, you want to use the PC without seeing anything you're doing? 

Or are you suggesting a dual monitor setup, with one to the integrated graphics and one to the dedicated? You could just download all games and graphics accelerated programs to a password protected folder instead 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

6 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

So, you want to use the PC without seeing anything you're doing? 

Or are you suggesting a dual monitor setup, with one to the integrated graphics and one to the dedicated? You could just download all games and graphics accelerated programs to a password protected folder instead 

So, the reason I wanted to do this is because I'm looking into selling gpus using a subscription based payment plan service, but I'm not sure how to enforce a consequence if payments aren't being made.

Just now, Virel said:

So, the reason I wanted to do this is because I'm looking into selling gpus using a subscription based payment plan service, but I'm not sure how to enforce a consequence of payments aren't being made.

Are you selling them remotely or physically giving people the cards?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I wanted to do it remotely, but if you have an idea of how to do it physically I'm all ears.

Just now, Virel said:

I wanted to do it remotely, but if you have an idea of how to do it physically I'm all ears.

Doing it remotely means you have control of whatever system is relaying the graphics workload, if it's a VM you can just close it, or as a more rudimentary solution, the ol power button. Otherwise I've not got more specific ideas

Primary PC:

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Are you selling them remotely or physically giving people the cards?

I wanted to do it remotely, but if you have an idea of how to do it physically I'm all ears.

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Doing it remotely means you have control of whatever system is relaying the graphics workload, if it's a VM you can just close it, or as a more rudimentary solution, the ol power button. Otherwise I've not got more specific ideas

There lies the root of the problem. It's difficult to take control of a system someone else owns in a way that can't be undone without your permission.

1 hour ago, Virel said:

No. Just, but... why? Unless you plan on spinning up a data centre housing rentable servers people can stream their games from (similar to PSNow or Google Stadia) I really don't see the value in this for consumers. You can't lock most pieces of hardware with a password unless the manufacturer provides this functionality in the firmware. Hard drives and business class motherboards are the only 2 exceptions in the consumer space, so I mean, you could theoretically "rent" a laptop, but once you give someone the startup password they could just opt to never return it so I really don't understand.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

27 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Honestly that answers my questions as best as possible. I just needed to know if it was possible to do, but it seems that it really isn't.

12 hours ago, Virel said:

If you're planning on a renting service, then have a group of repo men come to the renter to take the GPU away.

13 hours ago, Virel said:

Honestly that answers my questions as best as possible. I just needed to know if it was possible to do, but it seems that it really isn't.

you should favorite their answer instead of your reply to it

just saying

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

8 hours ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

you should favorite their answer instead of your reply to it

just saying

Thanks. I intended to do that, but I must have accidentally gotten the wrong one since I was using my phone.

Why don't you just rent the gpu and then show up when subscription expires to collect it back? Much less hassel. 

If he doesn't pay or something, show up with a huge baseball bat to intimidate him. 

Sudo make me a sandwich